Vizio E601i-A3E - Lines In Display After Mainboard Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E601i-A3E - Lines In Display After Mainboard Replacement

Hello again. This TV came in for no power, no standby light after a pretty nasty thunderstorm we had in here. I disassembled the TV and took some measurements on the power supply and determined that the main board was bad.

I bought and replaced the main board and now the TV turns on just fine and everything works perfectly - yay! - but there are lines throughout the image on the display.

Doing some more troubleshooting, I followed the steps outlined in this YouTube video by ShopJimmy that would determine if my LCD panel was bad or my T-CON board was bad. Following the instructions of the video and according to ShopJimmy, my panel was likely fine. So, I bought the T-CON board and replaced it. No change. Lines are still there.

Am I looking at a bad panel basically or is there something else I can check? Thanks guys.

Pics!

EDIT: I just looked at the pics again and some were reflection effects showed up in a couple pics that makes it look like a cracked panel. It's not cracked. See post #2 for new pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grimacelord; 09-07-2018, 08:20 AM. Reason: Clarify about pics

Re: Vizio E601i-A3E - Lines In Display After Mainboard Replacement

Clarification from Post #1 to show that the panel ISN'T cracked, that's just an illusion by reflection and what not.
    Attached Files

Comment

was the mainboard a exact match all number on both old and new boards the same

Comment

Check the numbers on the white sticker, or post pictures of the old board so we can read the sticker numbers

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
          was the mainboard a exact match all number on both old and new boards the same
          Originally posted by R_J View Post
          Check the numbers on the white sticker, or post pictures of the old board so we can read the sticker numbers
          Yes both of the board numbers are the same:

E6011-A3 MB BD
          1P-012BJ00-4012
          REV:1.2

The little white sticker has the same top line on both boards, but after that, the numbers change. I assumed this white sticker was more of a uniquely identifying number for THAT particular board, like a serial number. For what it's worth, I attached pics of both.

BTW, in the pics I attached, the first one is of the replacement board, the second is original. So it goes like:

1. Replacement Board | 2. Original | 3. Replacement Board | 4. Original
          Attached Files
          Last edited by grimacelord; 09-07-2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Also, please disregard the first pic from post #1. Somehow I managed to slip in a completely different pic of a completely different TV. It's been a long week. Ugh. So please disregard that one pic - all of the other pics are of this TV I am currently working on.

Comment

Could I have just received a bad mainboard? The more I am looking into it, the less and less it seems like a bad LCD panel. I have seen tab-bonding problems on HDTV's before and these lines that I have on this TV don't look like that. The lines only appear within an image on the display (like menus and logos, etc). They're not clearly visible across the black areas of the screen. In other words, they DON'T look like this:

Is there anything I can troubleshoot on the mainboard? Could the LVDS cables be to blame for this?
              Last edited by grimacelord; 09-08-2018, 06:34 AM.

Comment

possible bad mainboard, im not sure if a bad t con could cause this fault? for now i would clean all of the ribbon cables and maybe the sockets too hopefully a more experienced member may of seen this issue before.

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                  possible bad mainboard, im not sure if a bad t con could cause this fault? for now i would clean all of the ribbon cables and maybe the sockets too hopefully a more experienced member may of seen this issue before.
                  So, I cleaned out both the sockets to each connector between the LVDS cables and the ribbon cables going to the T-CON board as well as the pins on the cables themselves. Reconnected everything and now, there is no image displayed on the screen at all. Upon first power on after cleaning, the screen had a definitive line going right down the middle of the display where one side was lighter than the other side. I powered off and reseated the the TCON board cables and then no image displayed at all, but the line was gone.

Backlight lights up, but it remains black. So there is definitely an issue there with something. I notice that one of the LVDS cables between the mainboard and TCON board doesn't snugly "click" into place like the other one does. It seems off a bit. I tried gently pushing on them while powered on to see if pressure on the cable affected the image, but it didn't. Tried that on the TCON ribbons too and the ribbons going into the panel. Didn't change.

It was the ribbon cables to the TCON board that seemed to change the way it was displayed on the screen after getting that line down the middle and then reseating them and then it went away. Bad cables or bad TCON?
                  Last edited by grimacelord; 09-08-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

well the lvds cable should fit nicely in the socket etc so you need too try and find if it the lvds lead or tcon socket at fault, or just order replacement lvds lead and tcon most ribbon cables as long as no damage i just use contact cleaner and a q tip on the gold pins, the sockets i just spray contact cleaner in and use air duster too blow the socket out/dry,

Comment

Working...
                    X