Bad Caps in HP Pavilion 522n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Caps in HP Pavilion 522n

I was recently contacted by a family member whose HP Pavilion model 522n would no longer boot. After picking up the machine on Sunday night, I discovered bad capacitors. I cannot say exactly which model board this is: it has precious few markings, but as near as I can tell it is an "IMPERIAL_GL 20020409" This last might be the manufacture date?

According to HP's website, the board should be an ASUS P4G-LA, but it is not: it doesn't match the picture that appears at the HP website's description of this model.

Has anyone else encountered this board/model?
    Wherever you're standing is the floor.

For want of a block we will trip over a straw.

I am guessing that it is a Trigem Imperial IM845GL motherboard. HP use different OEM boards even in the same series.

you can find some data here, the old Trigem boards site is no longer available
    http://www.elhvb.com/

this might be the same company but has no data
    http://www.trigem.com/

what is your question really? do you want help recapping the board yourself or do you want someone to do it for you? Topcat or Kc8adu of these boards can do it for you, PM them.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Thanks for Guidance

I appreciate the reply to my post. I don't know if it is worth my recapping the board-- it isn't a very good board, lacking an AGP slot and not possessing much in the way of "headroom" for expansion. I posted in an effort to learn if this problem is widespread among HP machines, and in frustration with HP Total Support, an oxymoron whose humor I am unable to appreciate in the current situation.

My solution was to replace the board with a cheapie that claims to have a "lifetime guarantee", and all will be well if I can now get Windows XP re-activated.

My intellectual curiosity prompted my question about what this board actually was. I find inaccurate information on a company website to be alarming, though it may be that someone had already replaced the HP ASUS board with the one sitting next to my desk? I don't think so though, as the front panel header on the board is trucated to accommodate the semi-proprietary front panel switch/power lcd in the Pavilion case. I wonder if there is anything sinister in HP's not "owning" this board on the published spec sheet for this model.

Thank you for maintianing this site. The information I have found here has been very helpful to me. I posted so that anyone in my own situation would know that they are not alone in enountering the "bad caps" problem on this board.

Comment

no it was common for HP to use one/two different boards on the same series but with the same chipset. They may even follow the typical big companies who do an edition for Wallmart or other big buyers where cheaper suppliers of components are used in order to achieve the price which Wallmart for instance wants. I dont think that someone swapped your board.

If the board has no agp then it is not really worth recapping.

what cheapie board did you buy?

HP support is pretty godawful in Greece also. I am stopping buying HP consumer stuff cos it is getting to be crap. The enterprise stuff like servers and laserjets is very good though. I will try to buy stuff which is serviced by network of authorised repair shops like panasonic cos they offer proper service.

I am sure that Topcat will appreciate your nice comments on his site. Hope you stick around.

Are you gonna post a few pics of the failed board?
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Shake dust from sandals after leaving HP Total Support

I believe that I am now quit of HP Total Support for the foreseeable future.

In their penultimate non auto-generated message to me, a supervisor admitted that in their previous message they had asked, yet again, for information that I had already provided. He finally also wrote, flat out, that HP would "tattoo" the replacement board I had installed so that Windows XP would think it were the original HP board and stop demanding activation at a cost of about $300 I replied thanking him for the information and pointing out that the point was now moot as, following advice I received from a man whose website is soliciting people to join a class action lawsuit against HP over MB failures due to bad capacitors, I was able to speak to a live person at Microsoft Windows Activation who generated an activation Key for the new board, thereby allowing me to log on to the OS. Unfortunately, the system seems to be so clogged with malware that I wonder if it was worth the effort to unlock it.

I'm glad to hear from you that HP's enterprise hardware is still good, as they make a lot of medical equipment, like EKG machines.

The cheapie board I bought is a "Mach Speed" model PM2MP. If the promised rebate comes through, my final cost will be a little under $35 US, including the local sales tax (our equivalent of VAT). It doesn't have too much to recommend it, aside from its price and the fact that it fit into the HP case and was compatible with the HP's old CPU. It does have a 4x AGP slot and on board USB 2.0 support. I must confess that I am a bottom feeder when it comes to most components; however, in this case the machine is basically used for web surfing, homework and a few games which are not of the graphic intense variety. Consequently, I think it will serve. It's manual is a true wonder, harking back to the "good old" documentation that reads as if it were translated from the original Chinese first into Farsi, or perhaps Swahili, and then into English.

I'm ashamed to admit that I do not own a digital camera; however, I will arrange to borrow my niece's and post some shots of the dead capacitors on the old HP board. They are nothing spectacular, but are still ugly enough.

Comment

TriGem.com are the guys who made your board, as Willawake suggested tentatively.

I read the company history on the site, and they are the OEM for eMachines.

hp Pavilion is a very similar type of machine, and it's ultra feasible that they made your board.

Comment

I'm trying to help a friend wiht an old machine and the first thing I noticed, was 8 bad capacitors on the MB and 6 more going bad.
              Anyone knows if HP is replacing the MB or is just the normal life time for a MB like this IMPERIAL_ GL (what a name).
              Thank you

Comment

I had a "Sante-Fe" Trigem that had had chemi-con caps (probably knock offs), but the power mosfets were toast...Trigem is a Korean company IIRC...

MD
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Re: Bad Caps in HP Pavilion 522n

Hey Yall!!

Here ya go.

I was planning on fixing this for the possibility of helping someone out. If the board is stable after the recaping, that is.

What's yall's opinyon on using 16v rated caps where there war previously 6.3v caps?

Thank you all for taking the time to view my response!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here's my post about HP part numbers, etc.:
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=990

Comment

andro,

There is no intrinsic harm in sub'ing 16V caps for 6.3V caps. However:

* The parts must fit mechanically;

* They need to be the same capacitance (within reason);

They need to be the same or better quality - good name brand, 105C, not 85C, low impedance, equal or better life rating.

If you need info on the specs of prospective parts, there is a thread in the FAQ forum that provides links to the online catalogs of good mfrs.
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X