Cleaning keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning keyboards

Periodically (like every two years?) I gather up all of the keyboards from my machines and give them a thorough cleaning. It's a relatively mindless task that doesn't require much "focus" (I typically do it while watching a movie).

I recently did this for the ~dozen (identical) keyboards that I have in use, here. And, mentioned that to a friend ("So? What have you been up to??").
    "Oh, I just take them into the pool with me. Then, set them on the deck to dry in the Sun..."

<gack>

I pull the keycaps and soak them while I'm vacuuming and swabbing the capless-keyboard remains. Obviously more work than just dunking them in the pool -- but they come out really clean (no more oils from fingertips, debris under keys, etc.)

So, how do other folks clean their keyboards? And, how often? And, how long before replacing?

Re: Cleaning keyboards

i keep mine clean, but i do that and more, whenever i aquire another one.

Comment

but they wont work after getting wet .

Comment

I've cleaned my older (as in REALLY old - a DIN kb) by removing all the keycaps and scraping the years of sweat and dirt that accumulated on their sides, then cleaned the base with a brush. Done that twice.

For periodically maintenance I disconnect the kb, run a brush with long tips on the space between the keycaps, moving them to one or two keys that have their keycaps removed (usually space and alt/ctrl) and remove all the debris that gets stuck there. Then I ran a air pressurizer to clean the remaining stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
          but they wont work after getting wet .
          Sure they will! They typically won't work WHILE wet (as most keyboards have very high input impedances to the keyboard scanning logic). But, I'm not sure I'd feel confident about any OTHER crud that might be in "pool water" (chemicals plus yard debris) that would migrate into the keyboards, though...

And, with the increasing variation in "devices" that are now common IN keyboards (knobs, connectors, sockets, etc.) I'd want to look carefully at a particular keyboard before prescribing such cavalier treatment...

I'm sure they weren't designed with "swimming pool cleaning" in mind!

Comment

i have had a few wet ones and dried them out to find they no longer work . i guess something happens between the layers .

Comment

Last time I tried cleaning my main keyboard I removed the PCB, cable, and membrane sheet and stuck the keys and shell in the dishwasher. I forgot about the self adhesive labels, but other than that, it cleaned it fairly well.

This keyboard is quite 'used' now... many of the keytop legends have long since worn away.

I may have to feed it through the dishwasher again soon, it's filthed up again...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                many of the keytop legends have long since worn away.
                i have a 15 year old logitech kb like that too. had to use a fine tip permanent marker to "refresh" the font on the keycaps that had faded away.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  i have had a few wet ones and dried them out to find they no longer work . i guess something happens between the layers .
                  There are myriad different ways/technologies to build a keyboard. Some will be less "resilient" to abuse than others.

I had some keyboards in the 80's that had to be completely disassembled in order to restore functionality when a key (row/column) would "short out". Compressed air wouldn't fix it.

The keys consisted of flimsy pieces of metalized mylar film with "foam" backing affixing them to the undersides of the keycap plungers. The foam was really flimsy. So, anything sticky that got on the underside of the mylar film would cause it to stick to the circuit board, as if it was held depressed.

To "fix" it, I'd have to remove the keycaps and "plunger assembly" to expose the bare circuit board. Then, swab the mylar "contacts" and circuit traces with alcohol. This would take about 30 minutes per keyboard. <frown>

The keyboards that I currently use are relatively sealed against materials getting at the contacts. So, all I have to do is remove any debris from the key "mechanisms". I can do these in less than 10 minutes -- a marked improvement!

What I really need is some "keyboard covers" tailored to fit their specific shape. It would be kinda tacky to just drape a cloth over each while not in use. But, maybe I can fashion some cloth covers out of a heavier fabric (or even vinyl)

Comment

This keyboard is quite 'used' now... many of the keytop legends have long since worn away.
                    "Quality" legends are installed as a second color plastic injected into the mold as the cap (or other "legended part") is fabricated. Its cheaper to just "print" the legend on the surface of the item (which means it will eventually wear off). The "two part" pieces have the legend wearing just like the rest of the part (keycap).

But, not likely done for something as inexpensive as a PC keyboard!

I may have to feed it through the dishwasher again soon, it's filthed up again...
                    "Death, taxes... and dirty keyboards!" :<

Comment

Yes they figure that the cost of inset keys makes it too high to simply replace the keyboard ... when it gets filthy.

If only my model M was quieter...

Comment

Yes they figure that the cost of inset keys makes it too high to simply replace the keyboard ... when it gets filthy.
                        Keyboards are considered "consumables". Why "waste money" (add cost) to something with a limited lifespan?

OTOH, when molding the buttons for something that has much higher "service costs" (think: dispatched repair man), a few micropennies per key pays off admirably!

If only my model M was quieter...
                        I kept one for years for one of my logic analyzers. But, as I found myself using other LA's, instead, it found its way to the tip... (there is a cost associated with "keeping things")

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                          So, how do other folks clean their keyboards? And, how often? And, how long before replacing?
                          I clean mine when they look like they need it and I can be bothered.

Pull the keycaps, pull the electronics, screws etc, wash the case and keycaps in warm soapy water. Use a toothbrush to get off any stubborn dirt.

Let the plastic bits dry in the sunshine. It helps if you have black keyboards since they heat up better too (and you don't get the horrible yellowing, either).

Clean the metal support hinges for the spacebar\shift keys etc and re-lube with new silicone grease.

I'll replace them if\when the electronics die and I can't fix it.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                            I clean mine when they look like they need it and I can be bothered.
                            I usually wait until a row/column/key fails -- which makes using the keyboard an issue!

Let the plastic bits dry in the sunshine. It helps if you have black keyboards since they heat up better too (and you don't get the horrible yellowing, either).
                            With 5 or 6%RH, leaving things on a counter is usually enough to have them dry quickly. "Bang" each keycap on a towel to dislodge the bits of water that cling to its underside; the top surfaces will be dry before you finish banging all the other keys!

I'll replace them if\when the electronics die and I can't fix it.
                            I've taken to rescuing any of the same model that I encounter and stockpiling them for future use (as whole keyboards or as sources of parts). I rescued a dozen "keyboard boxes" so I can store each one, neatly (instead of just piling them atop each other with cords dangling)

Comment

I usually wait until a row/column/key fails -- which makes using the keyboard an issue!
                              I've not had that issue, yet. Have had a couple of broken USB cables though. (Funny, the PS/2 and AT ones seem to last better). One of my oldest keyboards does have a dim Num Lock LED from being on all the time.

With 5 or 6%RH, leaving things on a counter is usually enough to have them dry quickly. "Bang" each keycap on a towel to dislodge the bits of water that cling to its underside; the top surfaces will be dry before you finish banging all the other keys!
                              Ah yes, I forgot to mention I do that too. (Same method also works well to get molten solder off things) Although it sounds like you have very low humidity compared to me, so full sun seems to work better for me.

I've taken to rescuing any of the same model that I encounter and stockpiling them for future use (as whole keyboards or as sources of parts). I rescued a dozen "keyboard boxes" so I can store each one, neatly (instead of just piling them atop each other with cords dangling)
                              I have no preference on model, just a specific layout, preferably in black, and with independent (not function-key-shifted rubbish) multimedia keys.
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

I have no preference on model, just a specific layout, preferably in black, and with independent (not function-key-shifted rubbish) multimedia keys.
                                I have several workstations arranged around my desk (a large 'U'), each with a particular set of applications/OS (e.g., Desktop Publishing, Software Development, Multimedia Authoring, Graphic Design, Hardware Engineering, etc.) I find it easier to maintain several "less complex" workstations (though each has many hundreds of gigabytes of applications/libraries to support its functionality) than trying to cram it all onto one or two machines (and having several apps each lay claim to particular "file types"). Or, support a multiboot configuration.

[For truly odd configurations, I have an ESXi server]

I typically swivel my chair to access a different workstation from one minute to the next. For example, I may have a schematic and associated PCB artwork displayed on one workstation and swivel to another to write the software for that particular board on another. And, update the formal documentation for both of those issues on a third.

So, there's a big advantage to not having to "re-educate" my hands to the feel of a different keyboard every few minutes. Ditto choice of mice.

Keyboards/mice are cheap -- rescues are less than $1/each set.

Comment

In that case I can see why you like having identical ones. I don't have that kind of set-up.

Since all my keyboards have the same basic key layout (ANSI 104-key) though, there's no practical difference between them that I've ever noticed.
                                  Last edited by Agent24; 04-06-2018, 04:44 AM.
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

In that case I can see why you like having identical ones. I don't have that kind of set-up.
                                    It became too difficult to keep everything running on one (or two) workstations. Especially when apps required specialized peripherals (scanners, tablet, motion controllers, PROM programmer, JTAG interfaces, emulators, CPU etc.). Any time I'd have to update something, I'd spend a day verifying that I hadn't broken something else!

Since all my keyboards have the same basic key layout (ANSI 104-key) though, there's no practical difference between them that I've ever noticed.
                                    I can sense the difference between keyboards "made" from the same manufacturer. And, there will often be small differences that cause me to hesitate while typing. E.g., some have "magic buttons"/knobs and others don't. (the "print screen" trio of buttons is aligned with the right side of my numeric keypad whereas it is typically above the "home" trio on most.)

Comment

Working...
                                    X