Are new APC units any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are new APC units any good?

I need to replace several UPS units that got blown out due to a big surge. Are the modern APC Smart-UPS units built as well as the older ones? I need to replace 3 Smart-UPS 1250's, 3 Back-UPS 600's, and a Back-UPS 500.

I am considering the SMT1500 to replace the 1250's. I don't like how they did away with the LED bar graphs, but if the rest of the unit is comparable, I'll be happy.

The Back-UPS ones I'm not too concerned with. Anything with the same VA and run time would be fine.

Just looking for advice since I need to file an insurance claim. I am not willing to downgrade in build quality or run time, especially with the 1250's that have served me well. They still operated on battery mode and protected the equipment, even after getting the AC input section blown out.

From what I can tell, the units I was using were all made in the USA. Not sure if they still are though.

Re: Are new APC units any good?

lets see... first off, make sure it is a sine wave and not square wave output. also, battery brands mean a lot.

There are others on the forum who know more than I do...
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
      lets see... first off, make sure it is a sine wave and not square wave output. also, battery brands mean a lot.

There are others on the forum who know more than I do...
      Ya, the SMT1500 is a Sine Wave unit. Since they will be new units right from APC, I'm sure they will use good batteries.

Comment

Over the twenty years or so, that I've used APC UPS's, I've had very good luck with that brand. Not so with some other brands I've bought on SALE at local stores.

I have one very old 600w APC UPS that I got for free, many years ago now, because the batteries were dead.
        I outboarded two large car batteries (fused) to that old UPS and I've been using it ever since. It backs up my TV, Cable box, DVD Recorder, one small table lamp and a personal fan. It will run for over seven hours on those two car batteries. On my last test, it ran for seven hours, before it even started beeping.

Since I started using that old APC, I've bought, used and trashed, three Cyber Power UPS's. My latest acquisition was an APC 350va UPS for backing up my Cable Internet Modem and my Type N wireless router.

I'm about to grab up another inexpensive APC, 350va, UPS to use as a backup on my PC workbench. ($39.95 at Wal-Mart)

I was on the phone with an APC tech one day and I mentioned that I'd like to have a UPS to backup my whole house and he simply said, "We have those!". lol

Cheers Mate!
        Last edited by ThePCDoctor; 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM.
        Experience is truly the best teacher.
        Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

the newer apc consumer grade stuff is too cheap and nasty to consider.
          the commercial grade stuff should be ok but i doubt as good as your old ones.

Comment

Working...
          X