X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu!

http://www.overclockers.com/windows-8-pcs-lock-linux/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu!

Oh, yes. DRM to the extreme.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Comment on that topic: " Microsoft have responded, which amounts pretty much to 'it's up to the OEM'. "

More power to DIY. I can however see this causing outrage in the laptop market, as there aren't too many diy-friendly options there, and those that are, are pretty expensive.

I wouldn't worry. If it can be coded, it can be hacked. Just like SLIC. This will not prevent piracy in the slightest, the only people that are going to be affected are the whiny and oh-so-fair open-source guys "we won't support linux on that because it's in violation of the GPL..." oh shut up, while you're whining the wise kids already got it patched.
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 09-23-2011, 04:07 PM.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Another attempt by Microsoft to stay in the running and play games with societies pennies.

Unique has said it exactly as it is up there - if it can be coded, it can be hacked. Anybody who fully understands security, software languages and the logic of protection, will be chuckling away again at the suggestions of this protection.

Give it a month or 2 and there will Windows 8 portable copies floating about with patches for this, that, and the other

Such things are only a game to those who love to break codes, never a threat, more just a fun puzzle. Maybe the only way would be if Micro$oft started making their very own hardware chips and made it then only boot an OS they allow, serials and everything on-chip. But again, its a 10 minute job to knock a chip off a board and fasten a patched one back on - mwaahhhh hhaaa hhaaa.

Actually, the idea of a chip-based OS may be an improvement in 'still' waiting over 30 seconds to turn a computer on as a chip-boot could be maybe up n running in around 10 seconds ? (or 20 if the chips made by micro$oft) lol

Comment

The encryption is implemented in the UEFI bios standard - it's not something specific to Microsoft.
          So you can't really blame them - they just plant to take advantage of it.

The real dirty guys will be companies like Dell or HP who will not give keys allowing you to install another operating system arguing that the motherboard doesn't support operating systems besides Windows. (being an oem motherboard you wouldn't be able to contradict them)

Comment

this is sad news indeed.

well, I see where microsoft's goals are set:

How about the MS-UN?

(you do not want to know what a pain getting ^ to turn out in gimp was)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by ratdude747; 09-23-2011, 07:15 PM.
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i would never buy an oem box anyway.
              since most boards are a common off the shelf unit with a custom(stripped) bios its no big deal.
              sort of like rooting phones.this too will die quickly.
              i doubt any mobo maker wants to ailienate the techies.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                i would never buy an oem box anyway.
                since most boards are a common off the shelf unit with a custom(stripped) bios its no big deal.
                sort of like rooting phones.this too will die quickly.
                Exactly. Like i said, there will be trouble in the laptop market, but i'm sure solutions will be found.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Even for laptops it might not be a huge problem if you know what to look for, there are vendors that do "barebone" laptops. Supply your own cpu, hdd and so on. Doubt that those would be locked down.

Comment

Working...
                  X