Generally Speaking, WinBond Atmel - BIOS/FIRMWARE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally Speaking, WinBond Atmel - BIOS/FIRMWARE

Is it a safe assumption that a WinBond or Atmel chip is the BIOS/FIRMWARE chip???

Backstory:

I did an LED replacement on a really nice Samsung UN46F6300... With the bad luck I have had this week, I was really worried about it..

Replacement went fine.. Didn't crack the screen or tear a tab-bond...

I had put the back cover back on and reconnected the IR/Button to the Main Board.. Then I remembered I wanted to check something.. Pulled the back cover off and totally ripped off the IR/Button connector..

So, I found another board that looks identical and has the same connections.

Works great... Except for the fact that the display image is upside down.. Can't catch a break..

I have had luck before with fixing this problem by replacing the firmware chip with the chip from the original board..

Long story short.. (too late.. ) I need to confirm that the WinBond chip on boards is, in fact, the BIOS/FIRMWARE chip...
    Attached Files

Re: Generally Speaking, WinBond Atmel - BIOS/FIRMWARE

Have you tried flipping the image in the service menu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW2CMKi1bDA

Comment

go through the service mode
      done this in the past with a f5500
      reckon it should be similar here

Comment

U might need to change the panel type thats what i ended up doing

what tv is the repalcment board from there should be a model number on it

Comment

just seen pics
          so u are going from 60 to 46
          u jsut need to change the panel type u shoudl be fine

Comment

Thanx for the input and advice...I did that and got the panel type to the correct setting...

I tend to make things more difficult than they have to be.. heh

But simply for future reference.. Is it a safe bet that an Atmel or Winbond chip is likely the firmware chip??

Thanx again for the advice, ya'all.. Saved me a lot of work and likely a lot of headaches...

Comment

I sold a Samsung main board on ebay but the buyer found the image inverted. He had matched the BN97 part number but the BN94 number was different (different size tv). I took the board back and resold it but guess he should have changed the panel type In the service menu.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                I sold a Samsung main board on ebay but the buyer found the image inverted. He had matched the BN97 part number but the BN94 number was different (different size tv). I took the board back and resold it but guess he should have changed the panel type In the service menu.
                Yea, I run across that occasionally where the TV works perfectly, it's just that the image is upside down..

If I can't fix it by the Service Menu, I simply buy a generic universal TV Stand and mount the TV upside down..

Viola'... Problem solved..

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
                  Thanx for the input and advice...I did that and got the panel type to the correct setting...

I tend to make things more difficult than they have to be.. heh

But simply for future reference.. Is it a safe bet that an Atmel or Winbond chip is likely the firmware chip??

Thanx again for the advice, ya'all.. Saved me a lot of work and likely a lot of headaches...
                  No, it's not guaranteed, but it's likely.

The firmware can be stored on either an SPI flash or a larger NAND flash in a TSOP package (44 or 48 pins). Sometimes a bootloader is on the SPI flash and the rest of the firmware is on a larger flash chip. Sometimes there's just one.

Swapping the chips shouldn't cause any harm in itself, if done correctly - but changing settings is the easiest obviously.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                    No, it's not guaranteed, but it's likely.

The firmware can be stored on either an SPI flash or a larger NAND flash in a TSOP package (44 or 48 pins). Sometimes a bootloader is on the SPI flash and the rest of the firmware is on a larger flash chip. Sometimes there's just one.

Swapping the chips shouldn't cause any harm in itself, if done correctly - but changing settings is the easiest obviously.
                    Yea, I have had success with TVs with firmware issues when I swapped out firmware chips.. The hard part was determining which chip is it..

Thanx for the reply.. Nice ta know the odds are in favor of it..

Comment

Working...
                    X