Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How not to be burned by new Android devices

Here are the two basics:
    • Look for a commitment from the manufacturer to provide firmware updates for a reasonable time after the device model is discontinued - avoid devices which are not offered with firmware updates from the manufacturer.
    • Also, look for devices which use the Google Play store (and optionally, the manufacturer's and/or a third-party store) - also, avoid devices which don't.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: How not to be burned by new Android devices

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
    Here are the two basics:
    • Look for a commitment from the manufacturer to provide firmware updates for a reasonable time after the device model is discontinued - avoid devices which are not offered with firmware updates from the manufacturer.
    Custom rom like lineageos can provide security updates for devices that might have been abandoned by the manufacturer.

Major manufacturers like Samsung, Google, etc are big enough and have enough marketshare that might get custom rom support.

I buy used tablets, but only ones that have custom rom support with the latest security patches.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

none of the bastards give long support.
      a better thing to look for is abillity to unlock the bootloader.
      either directly assisted like HTC and XAIOMI, or just by luck.

because that way, you arent limited to the manufacturer for firmware updates.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        none of the bastards give long support.
        a better thing to look for is abillity to unlock the bootloader.
        either directly assisted like HTC and XAIOMI, or just by luck.

because that way, you arent limited to the manufacturer for firmware updates.
        Doesn't Huawei support bootloader unlocking too?
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

maybe, i have no experience with those.

Comment

^Motorola does if you don't buy a carrier device. (really, just don't buy carrier branded and castrated anything...)
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Working...
            X