Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Extreme pro 3 - motherboard burnt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASRock Extreme pro 3 - motherboard burnt?

Hello,

CPU - AMD FX8350 [ CPU cooler - Artic Xfreezer rev2]
    Motherboard - ASRock extreme pro 3
    GPU - MSI R9 270 2GB Radeon
    PSU - Coolmaster 650M
    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2
    Drives - Samsung SSD 120GB
    1TB Toshiba
    Windows 8.1

I recently started getting random reboots on my system. By that i mean no warning, no error, just a hard reboot - black screen and then normal startup. Reasons for that could be quite a few, firstly i thought it was overheating but my CPU wont go above 71 degrees Celsius. I tried to see what conditions it doest that, i played some games like The Crew or WoW and in both cases it would happen, mostly on The Crew is 5/5 and wow 2/5. That bids me to think its high stress. I changed the thermal paste, and it didnt seem to happen for 1 night. The next day it happened on Microsoft Office 2016.

Ram test - OK
    CPU stress test - OK
    GPU stress test - OK
    PSU - fan works, voltage not checked.
    Below are images of the GPU test and info

What worries me is the fact that i have another image from my motherboard, can someone tell me which component this is and why does it look like this? There is dark brown/golden substance around it, some sort of residue.
    my knowledge is limited on this matter.

LOCATED ON CENTER under Xfast RAM

Thank you!

Re: ASRock Extreme pro 3 - motherboard burnt?

Unless it's power cycling because of a bad connector, then it has to be Windows rebooting with a hardware error... By default, Windows reboots itself if the kernel detects a malfunction...
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

uh oh... please do not link to offsite images. most of us block third party image hosters. please attach the images to your post instead. i will help u this time and have attached the images u linked in your first post to my post.

anyway, sudden abrupt reboots during heavy load/gaming indicate a failing psu. also, in the picture u linked, it looks like u got a burnt tantalum cap! and its almost touching and shorting the adjacent mosfet! do NOT use the mobo any further until u replace the component. tantalum caps are known to go up in flames when they fail. you do not want to fry your motherboard with a shorted component!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
        uh oh... please do not link to offsite images. most of us block third party image hosters. please attach the images to your post instead. i will help u this time and have attached the images u linked in your first post to my post.

anyway, sudden abrupt reboots during heavy load/gaming indicate a failing psu. also, in the picture u linked, it looks like u got a burnt tantalum cap! and its almost touching and shorting the adjacent mosfet! do NOT use the mobo any further until u replace the component. tantalum caps are known to go up in flames when they fail. you do not want to fry your motherboard with a shorted component!
        Thank you for the help. I will be testing the PSU soon. Thanks for the advice on the motherboard! FYI i will post the error logs of the recent shutdowns.

This error is the only persisting error, other errors or warnings vary and are not consistent.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
        - <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
        <EventID>137</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000004</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-09-20T23:59:24.794403300Z" />
        <EventRecordID>7814</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="7668" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>ELSalvador</Computer>
        <Security />
        </System>
        - <EventData>
        <Data Name="SleepState">4</Data>
        </EventData>
        </Event>

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post

Thank you for the help. I will be testing the PSU soon. Thanks for the advice on the motherboard! FYI i will post the error logs of the recent shutdowns.

This error is the only persisting error, other errors or warnings vary and are not consistent.

- <System>
          <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
          <EventID>137</EventID>
          <Version>0</Version>
          <Level>2</Level>
          <Task>0</Task>
          <Opcode>0</Opcode>
          <Correlation />
          <Security />
          </System>
          - <EventData>
          </EventData>
          </Event>

Thank you for quick replies!

Comment

Originally posted by ViktorK View Post

- <System>
            <EventID>137</EventID>
            <Version>0</Version>
            <Level>2</Level>
            <Task>0</Task>
            <Opcode>0</Opcode>
            <Correlation />
            <Security />
            </System>
            - <EventData>
            </EventData>
            </Event>

Thank you for quick replies!
            Please show the event log entries in plain text format.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

the thing that is beside that mosfet is not an tantalum cap but a resetable fuse for the usb i think it is tantalum caps are usualy black or yellow and are bigger than that check for shorts/ high power usb devices that are connected

Comment

A reboot like that could be caused by many things.

First off, your CPU running anywhere above 60C is asking for trouble, even if AMD says otherwise. Get a good after-market heatsink. Also, run only a CPU-intensive test and see if you can get the system to crash.

Second, the Radeon R9 270 is a power-hungry GPU, and high-power GPUs above 100 Watts TDP tend to always be problematic, especially under load. You won't always get artifacts when the GPU starts going bad - sometimes the driver for the GPU can crash bad enough to cause a kernel panik and reset the system. So if you do have another known good video card, try that.

Then there is the HDD. HDDs with bad sectors or HDDs that are going bad can cause the system to restart too. Take out the HDD that's not used for the OS and see if you still get crashes.

The PSU can be another source of problems if it has developed bad caps. I am not familiar with that particular CoolerMaster PSU, so you will need to open it and post pictures of its insides (if the PSU is still not under warranty) so we can see if the caps have gone bad.

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
                the thing that is beside that mosfet is not an tantalum cap but a resetable fuse for the usb... check for shorts/ high power usb devices that are connected
                +1

That's a USB resettable fuse (a.k.a. polyfuse). Means you either have shorted +5V power on the USB to ground or had a device that overloaded the USB

Comment

Working...
                X