Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a mechanical solder sucker?

no, you didnt damage anything.

your tip needs a clean using some wire wool probably, then put some solder on it at a REASONABLE temperature.

what iron is it?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      no, you didnt damage anything.

your tip needs a clean using some wire wool probably, then put some solder on it at a REASONABLE temperature.

what iron is it?
      It's a Hakko FX888D. So you can clean the tip with wire wool? I know in the manual it says never use a file on the tip but I guess wool is ok?

Also every solder tutorial I look at show a component pad on the PCB that is easily noticeable, is it normal that I don't really see a pad on the motherboard, I guess it's there but really small?

Comment

888D has wire-wool in the iron-stand

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          888D has wire-wool in the iron-stand
          That's true, lol. So I just rub the tip in the wool, or do you think I'll need to remove the wool from the stand and give the tip a good brushing in the wool by squeezing the wool with one hand and turning the iron with the other?
          Last edited by johnnyh55; 10-28-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

it works just fine in the stand - that's why it's there.
            infact i only use wool - none of that wet sponge shit.

Comment

So I turned down the temp to 572 but it wasn't melting the solder on the board so I turned it up to 662 and now it seems ok. How do you pickup solder on the board when there is not enough to be picked up by a solder sucker?

Comment

Use solder wick. See post #25.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
                  Use solder wick. See post #25.
                  I tried it but its not wicking for some reason.

Comment

I use a K type tip. Extra flux helps a lot.

Comment

I bought a flux pen but do I apply the flux to the solder to be wicked up or to the wick itself? I tried both but they dont seem to work

Comment

Send us a photo of tip and the braid. applying the flux to the braid should be enough. A small amount of solder on the tip will help to wet the wick.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyh55 View Post
                          I bought a flux pen but do I apply the flux to the solder to be wicked up or to the wick itself? I tried both but they dont seem to work
                          if the wick does not suck, cut only a small part and hold it with a tweezer.

in some cases the tip from the iron its to small and it can`t heat up the cooper wick and it does NOT suck.

that`s why i use 3 irons . 0.2mm 1mm and one extra i don`t know the size its so big.
                          Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Ensure it's good wick, i used to struggle with it until i bought some Chemtronics, it's already fluxed i believe.

Comment

The tip i am using came with the hakko and it's a 1.6mm chisel tip, is that too big? It's the T18-D16 1.6D.

Comment

The tip i am using came with the hakko and it's a 1.6mm chisel tip, is that too big? It's the T18-D16 1.6D.
                                In my experience, that one is a little too small to move enough heat to get good results with motherboards. I mainly use a 3.2mm chisel tip for that (T18-D32). Personal preference and technique do come into play with tip choice, though.

Comment

you will never get stuff from a motherboard with 1.6

Comment

So is my tip no good anymore? Should I buy another one, or it's still good, I just need to re-tin and it should be ok?
                                    if the tip is darkened and wont wet/adhere to the solder, it then becomes very hard to melt the solder and retin it again. another way u can also try instead of a wire wool is to use a tip refresher to burn away the darkened oxide layer and it also instantly retins the tip at the same time. this method seems easier for newbies. for wiping with a wire wool, u need to quickly retin the tip again or else it will become darkened again and u end up having to wipe it again and it becomes an endless loop.

however, be warned that those tip refreshers use a weak acid and is corrosive to pcbs. after dipping the tip in the refresher, make sure u wipe the tip on a wet sponge repeatedly to get rid of the acid and wash and rinse the sponge off and then wipe the tip on the freshly cleaned sponge again to remove all traces of the acid to avoid dmging boards.

Comment

worth saying at this point, there are many fluxes for different jobs.
                                      some dont like high temperatures,
                                      some dont like lead-free solder,
                                      some will eat your stuff like blood from an alien!

i really need to make a post soon about solders and fluxes for people.
                                      the right solder and the right flux - both in it and seperate, make a whole world of difference.
                                      specially with a decent iron like the 888D

Comment

Ok so I took a picture of everything I am using right now. I also bought a 3.2mm chisel tip today, it seemed to help but I still can't pick up all the solder that i need to pick up. I tried both wick's to no avail. I also noticed sometimes when I tin the tip, the solder that was added to the tip gets transferred to the board and I end up with excess solder, is there something i'm doing wrong?

I know the super wick says for lead free solder but I don't know what kind of solder was originally used on the board, the nextech one doesn't meantion lead free but wether I used one or the other, it doesn't make a difference.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by johnnyh55; 10-29-2015, 01:27 PM.

Comment

well the flux is o.k.
                                          the mg braid is good, but probably not for this type of work.
                                          the nexxtech junk is a mystery.

personally i would be using a pump - i'v never got braid to work on something large like that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X