Solder differences and desoldering tools/technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solder differences and desoldering tools/technique

Speaking of solder, I have some noname 99.3/0.7 (Sn/Cu) lead-free solder. It is supposedly "rosin core" flux but when I cut a piece of the solder wire off, the "core" looks white-ish.

Recently I got a small tub of pipe solder flux, and this stuff is white (!!!).

This is 0.4mm wire solder so it's definitely not for pipes. Anyone know what kind of in-wire flux this is? I sure hope it's not the white acidic flux.

Incidentally, when heated and vaporized, this stuff does smell like rosin. Just looks too light colored to be rosin...?
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-04-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

leadfree solder cant use pure rosin, the big delay developing lead-free solder was the time taken to get the flux right.

Comment

Ah, interesting. That would explain things, the flux core must be some mixture of rosin and something else or something else entirely.

I wonder if this roll of 99.3/0.7 will start growing whiskers. and oops, this is actually 1mm solder, not 0.4mm, but in either case it's not pipe solder which tends to be quite thick...

Comment

i think the wiskers thing is mostly myth.
          to get something to crystalise it has to come from somewhere - maybe poor cleaning at a pcb factory leaving a very thin layer of tin-plating solution on the board.

i'v seen no evidence online on anything hand-soldered.

for serious work, there are even special solders from company's like Fuji with stuff like Bismuth added - but that shit costs a fortune!

Comment

To replace caps on motherboards I often use a hot air SMD station (preheat), soldering iron and desoldering gun. On stubborn caps sometimes I heat each lead and gently rock the cap back and forth until it comes out.

A few years back I bought a Aoyue 474A++ and I'd never want to go back to a solder sucker. It's really quite a luxury that makes repairs so much quicker.

Comment

I found some SS dental picks I use to Poke hole through solder pad, no heating required!

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                To replace caps on motherboards I often use a hot air SMD station (preheat), soldering iron and desoldering gun. On stubborn caps sometimes I heat each lead and gently rock the cap back and forth until it comes out.
                On stubborn <whatever>, I physically destroy the component to leave just the "pins"/leads in (or on!) the board and then remove the remains, individually. Particularly useful when removing from solder (foil) pours that haven't been sufficiently thermal-relieved!

Comment

Working...
                X