Vizio P50 HDTV20A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio P50 HDTV20A

Hi this is my first post and I just want to say thanks in advance for any advice I receive. I dont know much about tv circuitry, but am eager to learn, as well as fix my tv cheap. I have a DMM and good soldering equipment and experience because I'm an automotive electrical technician. The set started going black screen with the power led staying green. If I powered it off and back on again with the remote it would light up again but wouldnt stay lit until it warmed up and eventually was taking 6-7 cycles of that to stay on. I probably shouldnt have but I started just leaving it on all the time until one day I looked and it had a green screen with vertical lines. Tonight I turned it on and the picture is normal but its still going black. I attached pics of three swelled caps on the PS board that I found right off the bat. The part# of the board is aax30284301. My first question is how do I get the back cover all the way off. I took out the gazillion screws with my Dewalt but its wrapped around the two square posts at the bottom. If I can get it off without breaking something I will post more/better pics if necessary. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David_Clark; 12-05-2012, 01:11 AM.

Re: Vizio P50 HDTV20A

Well first off we need to replace those caps that are bloated.
    Panasonic FM, FC, FR are mostly used here but in general for power supply applications, match the specs with low ESR and high current ripple rating.

Make sure to match the size too.
    Caps are polarized so make sure the pins go in the correct hole.

Comment

Re: Vizio P50 HDTV20A

To take the back off you will have to remove the stand and it will come right out. Do not turn on the TV any more. This power supply is notorious for bad caps. There are 10 caps you will want to replace on this power supply. They are all 3300uf 10V if I remember right. I see at least 6 bad caps but you will want to replace all 10. If you run the TV with the bad caps on the power supply it is possible that you may damage something else on the board or on down the line.

Comment

Working...
      X