Intel 865PERL MB Needs recapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel 865PERL MB Needs recapping

I know nothing about recapping until reading this forum. Please excuse my newbieness. Let me give you a short history of what I did so you can advise me.

During Battlefield 2 games, my computer started just turning off. No blue screen. No lock up. I am not OCing. I run a 2.6 ghz P4 HT with Intel 865PERL mobo.

My heatsink was full of dust so I decided to take it out and clean it up. Removing the heatsink proved much harder than the previus time. I used a screwdriver to pry off the plastic clamps. I must've touched a capacitor. They were right next to it. Its not clear. I may have heard some electrical sounds. The TV was on so its not clear. Took out and cleaned heatsink up, reinserted. MOBO would not power on. The fans DID NOT even twitch. I tried with another PSU. same deal. The green LED light and a light that is next to HDD indicator stay permanent green. The second light connects thru the MB to get its power. As you know, normally, this light flicks on then off when connecting power. It stays PERMANENT green.

I took out the P4 chip. I was afraid of damaging the chip if it was a bad mobo. This time, something got awkwardly stuck and I managed to bend and break a pin ( Very bad luck this one day. I build computers regularly if you could believe it)

The capacitors on my mobo are clearly pussing with brownish tar. Whether this is from my doing or before is not clear to me. I have 3 pussing and bulging caps. 2 that are just bulging. They are all of the same type.

What do you guys think? Do you think its worth replacing my caps or did I do some irreparable horrible damage? I need to be real cost-effective with my solutions. Not a lot of money or time ( this can be read as MEDICAL STUDENT).

Although I'm currently researching this, any good guides to PIN repair would also be appreciated.

I await your responses. No matter how small, they will will be appreciated greatly!

Thanks
    -AC
    Last edited by chandra1; 01-07-2006, 03:38 PM.

Re: Intel 865PERL MB Needs recapping

If you stabbed the board with a screwdriver, its likely dead. I've seen a lot pf people destroy boards with screwdrivers attempting to remove heatsinks. Remove the board again, and inspect it carefully around the area you were working with the screwdriver. See if there's any deep scratches on the board, or surface mount components knocked off. If there are components knocked off, look for the component in the bottom of the case, that's where they typically end up. If its just a surface mount cap, those can easily reattach with a soldering iron. If you're going to medical school, and plan to be a surgeon, this will be a snap.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Checked like you said. No scratches. I didn't hit the MB with the screwdriver - just the capicitor. I was going sideways not downwards with the screwdriver.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by chandra1; 01-07-2006, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I may have heard some electrical sounds.
        can you please clarify if you were servicing the computer with the power plugged in.

you have some nichicon HN series capacitors failing on that board. try rma with intel, they are aware of this problem. hopefully they will not check the board out and see your personal damage.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Yes. The board is running HN (M) series caps.

Haha. No way. Power was off. Unplugged. I only SPECULATE that I hit the caps with my screwdriver. Even if I did hit a cap, it would not be hard and nor would I have hit more than one.I'm really afraid of harming my system.

I speculate that I hit it because there was no reason for the system to not even power on after my work. I did nothing else that one would consider delterious to the system.
          Also if you check the pic, there are a lot of caps busted. I'm starting to feel more and more that my power randomly turning off was due to this before I even laid a hand on anything.
          Last edited by chandra1; 01-07-2006, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chandra1
            Checked like you said. No scratches. I didn't hit the MB with the screwdriver - just the capicitor. I was going sideways not downwards with the screwdriver.
            Yes, you can kill a capacitor if you give it too much of a sideways hit when soldered to a board. It'll pull the bung out on small caps and can internally damage slightly larger caps.
            I've done it (by accident) on several experimental circuit boards sitting upside down, something lands on it and snaps a cap sideways underneath.

p.s. that pic shows very ugly caps that need whipping out immediately.

Comment

Maybe the board just failed because of the bad caps?

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Dead board due to bad caps... you breaking the pin off of the processor is going to require a new processor. The board may be covered under warranty, or you could attempt a recap yourself.

Bumping a cap won't damage it unless you push it over far enough to pull the rubber plug out of the bottom, but there's usually a little wiggle room. Your caps are definitely dead, though
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Haha. No way. Power was off. Unplugged. I only SPECULATE that I hit the caps with my screwdriver.
                  ok then. if there is no visible damage then RMA with intel. you will get a new board with later revision. https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1053

search for info on the net about reattaching proc pins. it is possible
                  Last edited by willawake; 01-07-2006, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I recommend you RMA the board to Intel, their service is very good.
                    My gaming PC:
                    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

you might get lucky on that chip.
                      the missing pin may be a redundant vcore,ground,or a dummy.
                      look up the pinout on intel and see.
                      might be a non issue

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                        you might get lucky on that chip.
                        the missing pin may be a redundant vcore,ground,or a dummy.
                        look up the pinout on intel and see.
                        might be a non issue
                        Exactly. I bought a Tualatin P3 very cheap because one pin was missing. Luckily, it was GND. But some other pins were bent and one broke when attempting to straighten it - and it was an important one. So I took soldering iron and soldered it back. It was not easy but it works

Comment

Thanks a bundle guys. With so many caps bulging and leaking, intel said it was a no brainer. They are RMAing. I would've never done it b/c of that $25 per incident thing. But they waived it.

I need one final help. I don't understand this PIN placement chart. I don't which view they are looking at it from. I'm attaching a pic of my processor and the link to the tech doc.Can someone please tell me what my broken pin is for? It is the pin in the LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE PICTURE.

Thank you all very much!

And intel really is good about RMA. Never would've imagined that.

-AC
                          Attached Files

Comment

to me that looks to be AF26 SKTOCC# Power/Other Output which tells the system the socket is occupied.

mobo might ignore it. although since it is an intel board maybe not. you would need to connect that to ground if so and you wanted to use that proc. the guys here will tell you how to do it.

i dont see any problem trying it when the new board comes.

did the cpu stick to the heatsink when you removed it?
                            dont try to put it back in the socket attached to the heatsink like that, you will need to remove it from the heatsink carefully and then clean the thermal pad off the hsf and proc with alcohol. then put the cpu carefully back into the socket, apply a layer of thermal paste to the cpu and then attach the hsf.
                            Last edited by willawake; 01-09-2006, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply,
                              The CPU and heatsink didn't stick. I found removing the piece that firmly holds the heatsink/fan unit piece onto the plastic piece on the motherboard difficult to detach. There are 4 plastic clips that snap into an indentation. Removing that part is where everything got stuck and bent and wound up breaking the pin.

I'm not sure I understood your response about the processor. I need to ground it? Does that mean I need to solder back the pin or do something else. Sorry for the newbieness I'm planning on waiting for the new board and trying it. Does anyone here think its risky trying it out in the new MOBO in case its a POWER pin? I could get it repaired/repair it myself if there's a risk damaging it. I'd rather spend 80 bucks for a good solder station than fry a processor.

Thanks all.

-AC

Comment

Nothing bad should happen if you try the CPU, if it is a power pin the worst thing that happenes is that it will not boot...

If it is AF26 your system might work perfectly fine without it... Or, you will either need to retatch the pin to the CPU, something I have never tried, or you could simply solder a small cable on the back of the mainboard from this pin to ground and the mainboard will always think there is a processor installed... Note that this really requires it to actually be AF26 and not VCORE or something which would be really really bad ;-)
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                  or you could simply solder a small cable on the back of the mainboard from this pin to ground
                                  The problem with this is that most 478 sockets are SMD

Comment

I got this board recently, also with bulging Nichicons HN. Replaced them with polymer's - Fairchilds from dead VGA (those which was baked - it was actually bad ESR meter cable, they're fine :-D). Also replaced two Chemi-con's KZG with Samxon's RS, jsut for case. The board does neither post nor beep. Northwood Celeron 1,7 GHz, runing fine in Intel D845GLAD board. Any idea or the D865PERL is dead?
                                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      I got this board recently, also with bulging Nichicons HN. Replaced them with polymer's - Fairchilds from dead VGA (those which was baked - it was actually bad ESR meter cable, they're fine :-D). Also replaced two Chemi-con's KZG with Samxon's RS, jsut for case. The board does neither post nor beep. Northwood Celeron 1,7 GHz, runing fine in Intel D845GLAD board. Any idea or the D865PERL is dead?
                                      Fairchild doesn't make capacitors. Reusing old capacitors is less than ideal as they can reform to whatever voltage circuit they are on.

As far as changing to polymer - what were the originals and what did you replace them with?

Samxon RS is not a good replacement for KZG. The specifications for RS are inferior to those of KZG. For KZG replacements, you need Samxon GD or better.

What memory are you running, what is the FSB speed of the Celeron? IIRC, the 865 boards have restrictions as to what memory speed/FSB combinations will work.

Comment

Getting an old P4 board: $0
                                        Capping it with some used polys: $0
                                        Two Saxmon Caps: $2
                                        Resurrecting a 5 year old dead thread: Pricessless
                                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                        X