Suspect Panasonic "D" Board - TH-46PZ80B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspect Panasonic "D" Board - TH-46PZ80B

I'm eyeing up a Panasonic 46" plasma for the new student house.

It's got a picture that works fine for about half an hour, then the picture distorts as attached.

I'm suspecting the D board myself, as the symptoms look similar in the training manual.

D boards for these TVs are cheap, so wondering if anyone has seen this before, as it would make for a very nice TV when working. Fits all my requirements: 42" or larger, full HD, Panasonic or LG, and it's a plasma (I'm staying well clear from an LCD or LED TV for now, I've never liked the look of them.)

Normally I don't pay much for TVs but I'm thinking of paying a little coin since it looks to be a simple £20 board swap.

Thx
    Attached Files
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Suspect Panasonic "D" Board - TH-46PZ80B

I wish I could help you out one time rather than the other way around, but at least I can keep this thread at the top.

Comment

I would agree with you in the D board being the most likely fix Tom. While I have not seen that specific symptom on a Panasonic, I really can't think of any other board that could make the screen look like that.

Comment

I notice the D board has two large processors on it for the plasma panel AI (logic.) If one failed I guess the other might get messed up too. I'm confident it's not the panel, SC, SS, SU or SD. There's the chance it's the A board, but that would be unusual, as it processes the video from top left to bottom right. The A board is around £50, so I'm hoping it's the D board. Hopefully, I will win it.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Wow, won it for £70.99 - bargain (about US $110.) A little higher than my typical "£50" for a plasma of this type, but still a low price! Now to get it here...
          Last edited by tom66; 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Got it! Some may think it is a little big as a PC monitor... especially for my dorm... I would agree, but it looks awesome! I have to keep this for at least 5 months till I move in to the new place! And it hasn't gone wrong yet... need to run it for longer.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by tom66; 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Nice!!!!

Comment

Well, I'm stumped.

I left it on all night on a slide show cycling through images connected to my PC...

And it's still working!

That's over 15 hours later and it hasn't skipped a beat! Owner said it lasts only 30 minutes!

Maybe the car journey reseated a cable. Am still going to take the back off it though.

Comment

I'd pull the back just to make sure it's clean and give the cables a push. You may get lucky and not have to do more than that. I'm also like plasma better.

Comment

I will definitely pull the back off. First out of curiosity (to see what lies within this beast of a plasma) and also to clean the fans. It runs really cool though. The onboard temp sensor says 39°C on average TV viewing. I really, really like the image on this display. It looks awesome. Colours are bright and punchy -- but skin tones still appear natural. Blacks are really deep. It's very bright -- at least as bright as most LCDs today if not brighter. Full HD is rendered really well with no compromises.
                    Last edited by tom66; 02-11-2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Had a Panasonic Th37px70b to repair last November. Fault different to yours, but there is a similarity. I didn't collect tv myself, all I knew was the set went off. We loaned a tv, as they had no spare. Their set was run for a month and refused to go off. By chance, had spare exactly same model, that I own, working perfectly.So replaced main psu and returned before Xmas. It ran for a month then went off again. This time there was a ticket on set, saying, comes on when back banged. Have it here right now, still refuses to go off.Maybe you could have a long wait. Ron77

Comment

Trying to tear it down now... screws very tight...

Comment

Ah, when I went to plug it in after tearing it down it finally started showing the symptoms.

More than likely that loose connector needs reseating as the vibration and movement probably loosened it to the point of failure.

I noticed the test patterns, except the A board test (dull grey) all appear unaffected (when using the service menu.)

So it MAY be an A board issue. No biggie, that part is available too, a little more pricey but not much more. I'm hoping it's just the LVDS cable between the A and D. As the test patterns for the panel are generated by the D board on command from the A board.

Comment

This type of symptom is very common on these Panasonic sets. It is usually one of the connectors that go to the D-board. Lightly tapping the connections on the D-board should reveal the loose connector. Once you find it just tape it down with electrical tape and it should be fine. I have fixed a handful of Panasonics with similar issues.

Comment

Thanks for that info. I will definitely be focusing on that first. Someone here had a a TH-42PZ80U (basically the same as mine but 42" US model) with a red haze issue (after some warming up time):
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18969

And that was just a loose connector. I do have haze on the screen plus half screen missing issues and random vertical noise.

So I hope it is just a connector

Comment

Well, got it open... quite the job. I found the LVDS connector on one side to be poorly seated. Pressed it down and heard a satisfying "click". I think this one is fixed. Is it worth taping it, I'd need to remove the A board assembly...
                                Last edited by tom66; 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Video on the repair.
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gL_8VeS5-c

Comment

sounds like it was a easy fix tom they look a nice set i may try to find a decent plasma for my lounge do you recommend Panasonic as they also seem easy to fault find i dont realy want to go lg way as the red sparkles issues.

Comment

Panasonic are nice.

LG are nice too, IF you avoid their older "PX", "PY" and "PC" series - which had IPMs and sparklies. e.g. PK, PG, PQ are good TVs.

Comment

Good find Tom! Fixing it for free definitely made up for "over paying" a bit lol

Comment

Working...
                                        X