Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Major Manufacturers Boards
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #21
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Overclockable Dell computers.

I like that 65nm Quad that you have. Makes me wonder if I should try to get another sample of a Quad with the same lithography, even when my brain keeps saying, "45nm".

If you only need to touch the core multi and Vcore, then the toughest test, often would be Linpack. You don't even need to run it more than around 30 minutes to do what an earlier Prime95 would require 12+ hours for.

Ryzen 7 "Matisse" 3700X

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM

XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Received on November 4, 2019:
MSI GF63 Thin 9SC-649US

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #22
Retrorockit

City & State: DAVIE,FL
My Country: United States

The good QX6800 is the SLACP G0 version. I haven't tried this because I already own a couple of them, but the QX6850 SLAFN is also G0 stepping but 333fsb and is unloved. If you can manage a BSEL pinmod down to 266fsb you would have an unlocked "QX6600" G0 ( 9x multi.).
Now it's time for me to be honest about this. These are no longer $1000 CPUs. I don't stay within bounds on a few things. I also don't use this old junk for any data sensitive applications. I test with 3x Prime 95 on 4 cores which provides about 80-85% CPU load and seems to provide enough stability in the "real" world of benchmarks and gaming to work well. A QX6700 B3 stepping can be had for $20. But the thermal limits are very low on those and they don't OC well. But to try your hand at this,and develop some cooling mods might be worth the trouble. The 2 core X6800 B2 used to be cheap,and might make some speed on an Opti 745, but prices are way up on these for some unknown reason.
Maybe you guys can tell me how many Watts a QX6800 going 4GHz @ 1.5875V. is using? I actually never tested at that speed because I didn't know how to recover from a crash with those settings saved. But now i have some better cooling options, and Safe Mode will boot w/o TS running so I may look into it more. It may have crashed because
A- It went over 1.6V. which is an Intel hard limit on those computers. I tried 1.6V. it booted but crashed so I dropped Voltage 1 notch, got mY CPUZ valifation and never went back to it.
B- The Dell PSU couldn't make enough Watts on an 18A. 12V.rail. and shut down that rail.
I made a thread at Tom's about overclocking Dells if you want to look into it.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/...uters.2528664/
I also didn't know the trick of using SetFSB to drop the FSB down, add another multi, and then bring the fsb back up for an incremental overclock. I just used whole multipliers back then. This was actually my first overclock, and the Dimension E520 is what I owned so that's what I used. I was struggling at 3.45Ghz when I tried a few mods, and discovered that every time the fan would speed up it crashed. So I wired the fan up to a Molex and gained .100V.(-.050V. starting point, and +.050V. higher limit) at the CPU and went straight to 3.73Ghz "stable", and on to 4GHz momentarily.

Here's a Youtube on grabbing FSB control on a Dimansion 9200 aka XPS410.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X85Wh9o4K4E&t=179s

Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-30-2020 at 05:15 AM..
Retrorockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
Retrorockit

The reason for the XPS410/9200 for overclocking is they have a 4 phase VRM that's very rare in a Dell. The E520,XPS210/9200c are also this way being different sizes of the same design.
The only other 4 phase VRM 775 Dell I've found is the Optiplex XE Desktop. Which was used for commercial applications such as airport signage, or barcode scanning (it has 24V. USB header for that). These were often built into cabinets with poor airfow. There was even an air duct kit for doing this. I grabbed a few, but haven't run one yet. I have no idea whether or not the 95W Optiplex CPU limit applies to these or not. The G45 chipset and 4 DDR3 RAM slots are hopeful signs. I can't find any userbenchmaeks for it to see what others have done.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #24
Retrorockit

I just came across a CPU that was unknown to me that could breath some life, or maybe just extract some fun from Dell BTX Optiplexes, and other bottom feeders.
The mighty Pentium Dual Core (not C2D) SLGYP E6500K
Unlocked Wolfdale 2 core 2M cache 11x266fsb base clock with SSE4 disabled.
Basically a 45nm equivalent of the ancient X6800. Only sold in China. Can be affordable there.
Prices here are ridiculous.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...6-mhz-fsb.html
Apparently the small cache helps overclocking. CPUZ lumps the locked and unlocked E6500 PDC together but all top 15 overclocks are at least mid 5GHz.
http://valid.x86.fr/256fhm
The E7500 C2D can go 3.67GHz with a BSEL tapemod to 3.67GHz. 11x333f in an Optiplex so this should also. This puts all the 45nm Optiplexes into play for a Throttlestop overclock.
Too bad they disabled SSE4. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Of course this thing would make a bunch of i3 series look silly.
I haven't published this in the bigger forums. I have few on the way to play with. Might stick one in my Opti 380 and see how it compares the X5470 Xeon swap.

Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-05-2020 at 09:12 AM..
Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 AM   #25
Retrorockit

I harvested the Enzotech copper pin fin heatsinks form the badcapped T3400 MB, and epoxied them onto the spare TP412 MB. Then found out they hit the bottom of my super TJ258 XPS heatsink. Just needed to bend the pins over to make some room. I love that about Enzotech. Saved me from myself many times.
I'm looking into heatsinking the back of the MB under the flat soldered VRM Mosfets. Since it a 3 phase MB I'm looking for all the help I can get. But the case sheet metal is raised up to within about 4MM of the MB there. So 3mm heatsinks, or just run metal sinks down to the case itself? This will also add some mechanical suppport to the edge of the MB where it wants to bend due to CPU cooler clamping loads. The 150x50mm bare fan will be sending some air under there. I won't run any cables across there either. The HDD is in a floppy bay. Just a GPU power cable runs across that needs to be up high anyway. HDD cage removed and 120 mm cage fan installed. making some adjustments to the height of the Optiplex cooling shroud legs to work with the bigger holes in the Mid Tower MB. The Opti shroud is needed to match up to the 150mm fan.
Took some metal work to get the XPS heatsink with 8mm pipes in there.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #26
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

The only Pentium I heard of like that was with Haswell, the G3258. IIRC, just reminded that the G3258 omits AVX, if AVX wasn't laser-cut!

Also, what was basically an "early version of an Core i-series K", would be the Core i7 Extreme 965 on socket 1366. Other than some Core 2s and maybe Chinese-market ones, would be the 965.
And of course back then, usually only ones with the "Extreme" badge, would have an unlocked CPU multiplier.

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 07-07-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Old 07-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #27
Retrorockit

It was only sold in China. So it's under the radar here. Also it doesn't help that Intel recycled some Core 2 Duo part numbers. There are 2 E6700 CPUs. a 65nm Core 2 Duo, and a 45nm Pentium Dual Core E6700. Very different CPUs.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Pentiu...ore2-Duo-E6700
This one is the later series E6500K.
https://www.techpowerup.com/101306/p...-5-00-ghz-mark
I've been playing with LGA775 for years and never heard of this one. It just popped up on a list of Pentium Dual Core CPUs.
I've ordered a few of them from China. I hope they aren't all burned out from Bitcoin mining. It's too bad they disabled SSE4. I've reached out to a BIOS modder to see if they just turned off the SSE4 support in the Microcode, or if they actually disabled it on die. I've heard of Intel patching features back in on some CPUs. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-08-2020 at 09:00 AM..
Old 07-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #28
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
It's too bad they disabled SSE4. I've reached out to a BIOS modder to see if they just turned off the SSE4 support in the Microcode, or if they actually disabled it on die. I've heard of Intel patching features back in on some CPUs. Fingers crossed.
Just like I suspect Intel disabled EM64T with a laser-cut on some Pentium 4s...
Old 07-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #29
Retrorockit

They were in there disbaling some cache so they probably did it that way. But it doesn't hurt to try things. The cache doesn't bother me. Speed is more important than size for cache, and smaller cache seems to allow higher overclocks. So the unlocked multiplier is worth it. It seems to be a hobbled E7500 with an unlocked multiplier. The E7500 is known to tolerate a fsb tapemod to 3.67GHz on stock Voltage, so that would be the first step for the E6500K.