Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will putting a TV on an automated power switch kill the PSU over time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will putting a TV on an automated power switch kill the PSU over time?

Hey everyone!

This question is not quite repair related but since I'm a tech and can't help thinking like one, I wanted to get some other TV tech opinions.

Long story short I own a repair shop and I am trying to set up a power circuit to turn on 3 TV's automatically every morning and off every evening. I will be using a Zwave 15 amp switch so I can add it to my existing business automation hub.

Here is the exact switch:
    https://www.energyavenue.com/Leviton...8aAh-AEALw_wcB

My question is this: If my automated switch cuts power off to these TV's every evening, will that damage the PSU or any other component? I know if you turn a TV off with the controller or the button on the TV that it puts the TV into low power mode/rest mode in most cases depending on if the model has any advanced power setting within the GUI. But since I will only be powering off theses TV's by cutting power to outlet, is that going to cause any problems over the long run? I know it probably wont hurt the TV over the course of a couple weeks but what about over the course of a couple years? Ultimately, I don't want to build a system that is going to fail in the future. And yes, I know I can get and program a RF system to turn these TV's off with their actual RF reciever's but I want to start with the 1st option because I already have the existing infrastructure.

TIA

Re: Will putting a TV on an automated power switch kill the PSU over time?

My upstairs TV sits on a power bar. It gets turned off and on several times a day using the power bar so the TV is completely off and not in standby. It's been like this for 5 years now with no apparent problems.

I also do this for my main PC. When it's not in use, I turn it completely off via power bar switch. I have been doing this for 15+ years and never had any PSU problems.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Interesting question... I've always wondered the same.

Comment

the OP post write TV's ( more than one set ) the answer at post 2 was for one TV and one Main PC booth are separated.. . here we are in trouble if one set of this TV's group got defect at any reason, will caused load current., even if the other will effected by 1%. we need to drop this 1% to ZERO by connecting the main timer line first to AC voltage stabilizer and then to TV's, it will take care of TV's in case this matter happened.

Comment

Working...
        X