X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
    Any comments on "3D" (with glasses) displays on laptops? I've a business, here, looking to donate several and I'm not sure if they're worth the effort...
    The ones I've seen used active glass that synced with the screen. Only certain games were configured for 3D, they looked and worked just like a regular laptop when 3D wasn't activated.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      The ones I've seen used active glass that synced with the screen. Only certain games were configured for 3D, they looked and worked just like a regular laptop when 3D wasn't activated.
      Learn something new every day.... I remember the 3DTV fad ~10+ years ago....I never saw one (either for service or watched) or had any clue how they worked. I remember the goofy glasses back in the 80's for viewing 'jaws' in 3D on a TV. 10 minutes in, everyone had headaches.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

the 3d tv's used an IR led to transmit framesync

Comment

Scored a few goodies for free:

Acer Aspire 7735 - smashed LCD, reused casing (except palmrest and power button section) on my 7738G that had a crappy case

Seagate ST32000540AS 2TB 7200.11 - 0% health due to buggy SMART, needs SMART reset

WDC WD7500BPVT 750GB - dead

WDC WD3200BEKT Black 320GB - needs SMART reset with WDR

"450W" SFX PSU (which is actually a 200-250W unit) - needs cleaning and caps will need replacing (I ain't trusting YONGXING and ChengX caps at all) as well as transformer upgrade. Heatsinks are surprisingly thick enough.

PSP 1004 Red - dead
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Learn something new every day.... I remember the 3DTV fad ~10+ years ago....I never saw one (either for service or watched) or had any clue how they worked. I remember the goofy glasses back in the 80's for viewing 'jaws' in 3D on a TV. 10 minutes in, everyone had headaches.
            The terrible PC fad of the early-2000s:

AMR slots

I only saw them on early-2000s' motherboards, IIRC. I can only recall seeing those on pre-2003 motherboards.

It apparently was a scam to make me pay for an optional card to connect an onboard modem! FFS!

How you can tell that it's the "terrible fad slot"?

On a motherboard, usually pre-2003, you see a slot that resembles a PCI-E slot. At least to a gen-Z'er, it would look like a mini PCI-E slot!
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
              It apparently was a scam to make me pay for an optional card to connect an onboard modem! FFS!
              Cards that plugged into an AMR slot used the main CPU for processing as opposed to their own hardware. They were a way of saving a little money if your CPU was up to it.

Comment

As I can't edit my older post, I also scored a free BD-RW drive (yes, BD-RW!!!) for my HP Pavilion DV6000 (dv6723eu).

I plan to make a nice retro gaming machine out of it. Just got to repair that WD Scorpio Black, and it should be ready to kick ass.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

I got a Free i7 4702MQ out of a parts laptop and now my lenovo E440 has a i7!!
                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Picked up a 60pk950 LG plasma for free today. Put in a new 5 watt 10 ohm resistor and all is good! 3d and wifi smart with stand and remote!

Comment

Originally posted by tvtimmy View Post
                      Picked up a 60pk950 LG plasma for free today. Put in a new 5 watt 10 ohm resistor and all is good! 3d and wifi smart with stand and remote!
                      Great deal.

I have the 50PK550, the 50 inch predecessor. I already have the resistors ordered from a long time ago and the mosfet transistor just in case.

I still prefer the picture of plasma over LED/LCD.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My family TV is a LG 50PN5300 plasma I bought new in 2013 after moving into my first house, still works great and has a PS4 and Apple TV 4k hooked up to it. Love the LG plasmas.
                        My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                          I got a Free i7 4702MQ out of a parts laptop and now my lenovo E440 has a i7!!
                          Gen 4 CPUs are removable? I thought mobile Core i3/5/7s were removable only up to Gen3.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            Gen 4 CPUs are removable? I thought mobile Core i3/5/7s were removable only up to Gen3.
                            Surprisingly yes it was the last generation to have this feature, too bad intel went to all soldered with the 5th gen Broadwell cpus.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTroll View Post
                              Surprisingly yes it was the last generation to have this feature, too bad intel went to all soldered with the 5th gen Broadwell cpus.
                              That move just boggled my mind....kind of sad actually.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

That move just boggled my mind....kind of sad actually.
                                I know right? and whats really crazy was at the time intel was talking with motherboard manufacturers and was trying to do the same with the desktop market but luckily consumer backlash prevailed and that never happened.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-...laceable-cpus/

Comment

just "replace" intel cpu's by switching to AMD boards!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    AMDs went BGA too, ever since the E series. I've had an Acer Aspire 5250 w/ a E-450 and it sucked bigtime.

I finally got rid of it by trading it for an Aspire 6930G a long time ago, which I still have today (w/ HD4650 1GB, T6500, 2x2GB DDR2 and a 250GB Seagate that I kept from the 5250)
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      Today's success was making a Dell Optiplex 380 (LGA775) run a LGA771 x5450 quad-core 3GHz Harpertown Xeon (Yorkfield q9650's are still $50+). The x5450's are a dime a dozen, and even today make an excellent entry to mid-level system (even better if you also add a GPU and not use the crappy Intel GPU). That'll keep up with 1st & 2nd gen i5's and i7's no problem.

Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Panasonic Viera 60" or 65" plasma TV from 2011, got it for the blazingly high cost of free.
                                        Purchsed for $2500 new back in late 2011.
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Today's success was making a Dell Optiplex 380 (LGA775) run a LGA771 x5450 quad-core 3GHz Harpertown Xeon (Yorkfield q9650's are still $50+). The x5450's are a dime a dozen, and even today make an excellent entry to mid-level system (even better if you also add a GPU and not use the crappy Intel GPU). That'll keep up with 1st & 2nd gen i5's and i7's no problem.
                                          Nice, what was required to get this to work ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X