Firefox 57 Quantum Rocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 57 Quantum Rocks!

If you're like me, you switched to Chrome sometime after the steaming file of garbage that was FF4. Well, with FF57, Mozilla Made Firefox Great Again!

Try it https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/

Re: Firefox 57 Quantum Rocks!

I'll let them throw a few versions out before making the switch...seldom does the first release work without issues. Makes me wonder if Waterfox will make their version.... Plugins/addons interchangeable? I also hope they didn't completely fuck the UI....that was one of my biggest FF gripes, when out of the blue somewhere around FF15, they decided the status bar was not needed anymore (having never brought it back, an addon is required for status bar), and changed the UI dramaticaly.

Chrome was a bigger smoldering pile of shit than FF could ever have been.....but FF has had some slow bloated years. Glad there's something fresh on-tap.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

What's the point of Waterfox now that FF is native 64-bit?

UI and logo are refreshed, not completely different. best part, optionally you can combine address bar and search box like Chrome. Screenshot attached (before I changed setting to combine them)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by shovenose; 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

of course, status bar trashed again, and the addon for it doesn't work.... Load times on this slow ass old C2D laptop is fast though. Not disappointed....but dammit, I want my status bar back for fuck sake
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          of course, status bar trashed again, and the addon for it doesn't work.... Load times on this slow ass old C2D laptop is fast though. Not disappointed....but dammit, I want my status bar back for fuck sake
          what do you use the status bar for?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
            what do you use the status bar for?
            status4evar
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

If you're like me, you switched to Chrome sometime after the steaming file of garbage that was FF4. Well, with FF57, Mozilla Made Firefox Great Again!

Try it https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/
              I could see that, because I suspected Firefox versions before the new 57, to still have some deadlocking code from "Bon Echo"-* for farking sakes!

*-Where Firefox becomes a zombie process when closing it the normal way,
              and the random getting stuck at "Waiting for X..." bug.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

FWIW, the offline install can be had here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  status4evar
                  right, i know about that addon, but why?

Comment

right, i know about that addon, but why?
                    ...because I like having a status bar... I usually have a couple other addons that display local & remote IP info in the statusbar. liveip is one of them, which also doesn't work with this.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

status bars are usefull.
                      if a page is slow you can see which bastard tracker or add-server is holding it up!!
                      (it works for that in opera anyway - google-analytics you bastard!)

Comment

All cosmetic changes, and no actual patching of bugs, or attempts to fix long-standing performance issues:

They really have lost their way.
                        Attached Files
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          All cosmetic changes, and no actual patching of bugs, or attempts to fix long-standing performance issues:

They really have lost their way.
                          bs, drunk me is angry you aren't understanding that benchmarks and real world performance is not one and the same. firefox 57 feels faster than firefox 56 by a long shot and chrome and edge a little. that's impressive. yes i tried to benchmark it (using the deprecated peacekeeper futuremark thing) and the new ff got a lower score, but that means absolutely nothing!
                          Last edited by shovenose; 11-14-2017, 10:56 PM.

Comment

What's the point of Waterfox now that FF is native 64-bit?

UI and logo are refreshed, not completely different. best part, optionally you can combine address bar and search box like Chrome. Screenshot attached (before I changed setting to combine them)
                            FF has had an official native 64-bit edition for some time now
                            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

57 appears to be broken over a remote desktop session, it doesn't render correctly

Comment

Originally posted by jondoe View Post
                                57 appears to be broken over a remote desktop session, it doesn't render correctly
                                Hence why I'd never switch over mainstream on the first release of a new engine. Lots of bugs....and status bar for crying out loud!!
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

bs, drunk me is angry you aren't understanding that benchmarks and real world performance is not one and the same. firefox 57 feels faster than firefox 56 by a long shot and chrome and edge a little. that's impressive. yes i tried to benchmark it (using the deprecated peacekeeper futuremark thing) and the new ff got a lower score, but that means absolutely nothing!
                                  You must be drunk and high on something to suggest that Firefox is anywhere near Chromium in terms of a polished and finished product. Firefox is eons behind Chromium.

You can get often updated Chromium builds compiled in different ways by different people, and there are helpful comments per each build.

Firefox' monolithic approach will not work.
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Grr... FF57 moved the home button that I never used to the left...for FF52 that I still have installed...

*sigh*

Still using FF52 because it doesn't need rust to build...

Comment

I have noticed that each tab open shows as its own process in task manager, and memory usage has gone way up.....that said, it does perform far better even on this slow ass C2D (Dell precision m6300). Previously, there was only one process no matter how many windows or tabs.

Attached Files
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

The process-per-tab thing has been like that for several versions now. It has been a point of contention for Linux users as this process per tab broke direct ALSA support since nobody's maintaining it anymore, forcing people to use Pulseaudio.

Comment

Working...
                                        X