Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affinity LE-3252 LCD TV very hard to turn on - EEPROM maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affinity LE-3252 LCD TV very hard to turn on - EEPROM maybe?

Hi all,
    I have a friend's Affinity LE-3252 LCD TV that doesn't power on, only when it wants to. Like on the 50th repeated try with the button or remote. It does have the red standby LED which goes green when it finally decides to turn on. Everything works great when on. HDMI worked fine with a chromecast on it. Audio ok. All buttons work on the panel and remote and it turns off fine too. But then it's another 50-100 tries to get it to turn on again.

When in standby mode, all 4 vregs chk ok with same voltages as in this post. 3.3, 2.5, 1.8 and 3.3V:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...97&postcount=4

I haven't found much online about these having bad caps. They all seem ok. TCON (lower edge of TV below speakers) seems fine because display works fine when it powers on. The power/main board is all in one and has PCB number TP.MS3391.P83 and D12080996-0A02533 on a bar code label. See pics. Manufacture date 201208.

ShopJimmy's closest board model is a .P91 for Element ELEFW327 TVs which are almost identical to the Affinity one. There are like 18 diff types but they don't have the .P83. Prob obsolete/discontinued...
    http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsear...=tp.ms3391.p91

These posts say that the common issue with the ELEF models is the EEPROM [UF11 on both boards - .P91 and .P83 (mine)]...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38533
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38980

Emailed this info to SJ to see if they have this particular EEPROM.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gordonfreeman; 07-19-2014, 07:56 AM. Reason: To upload pics

Re: Affinity LE-3252 LCD TV very hard to turn on - EEPROM maybe?

Only other thought is that it could be the startup cap which is usually a small one on the
    Primary/Hot side - What values are on the little orange one and the one at the top half
    out of the picture
    Last edited by selldoor; 07-19-2014, 10:46 AM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Rectified voltage was 162V at caps in standby. When on it was 156V. They are in parallel and are 56uF/400V each. I was only able to get it to turn on 3 times in a period of about 3 hours last nite. I could not get it to turn on at all today...

The vregs were all the same, standby or on.

The small orange primary hot cap is 10uF/50V. Uploaded a bunch of pics where you can see the the caps up close, EEPROM (UF11), the whole set, TCON and speakers.

Thanks again selldoor!

Comment

pics uploaded!
        Attached Files

Comment

Ok what value is the cap in the top left corner and what make is the orange one.

Next step is up to you. Wait and see what shop jim comes up with or do a few more tests.

Have you tried unplugging cleaning where possible and replacing all the leads.
          Have you had a close look at the connectors and leads from the on off sensor and button board to the Big board.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

does heating that start up capacitor make it start any easier? i use a hair dryer for three to four minutes heating that area.

Comment

The black cap in the upper left corner of the p.s. is a 47uF/50V, CapXon brand and 105°C rated. Same for the orange one (10uF/50V).

Haven't heard from SJ yet. We'll see...

Have taken the board completely out of the unit to check the back twice. It looks ok. The connectors/crimps contacts are good. I wiggled all wires/connectors, incl the black TCON one on the right) with no results.

The IR detector works fine. It has 5V going in and it pulses out fine when I use the remote on it. I set my meter to Hz and it counted 18.5 Hz at its output pin. The same was also present at pin 11 of the white 14 pin connector on the bottom left side (CN7). The power button pin (3) on the same connector is normally high (3.3V) and goes to 0 when pressed. The other buttons behave the same way.

The big caps ran a bit warm but not hot when I ran it last nite for about 20 mins. It never shut off until I did with the remote. Tried heating up the big caps and the eeprom for 3-4 mins with no luck. Didn't power on a single time...

My money's on the eeprom so far...

Cheers.

Comment

It was not the BIG caps that might benefit from heating - it is the small 50v ones.

Comment

Yes, I heated up the whole p.s. area...

Comment

it heating it didnt change anything for piece of mind maybe change the start up capacitor just in case there cheap enough and it rules it out too.

Comment

if you want you try changing the caps around the primary side

Comment

Guess I'm SOL... Can't believe this board (.P83) is the odd man out. It failed a cpl mos before it turned 2 yrs old. I guess that's the life of these cheapo sets! I wish a board like this wold work:

http://tinyurl.com/msdcekt

Here's what SJ said. No luck basically...

ShopJimmy
                        Jul 22 15:38
                        No, unfortunately they wouldn't. These boards are very specific and don't tend to sub for one another. To continue looking you're going to want to verify two numbers on the board you are purchasing first the D12080996 and t320xvn010. On similar boards we've pulled out of the model those are the two identifiers we would use to make sure it is the same board.

James
                        Jul 21 14:29
                        Nope. The only stickers are on the top as shown in the pics. The one that starts with D1208 (to the right of the processor) and the one with chinese writing that has T1207-100. I was hoping that one of the element ELEFW327 models would be compatible. Maybe they use the same IR codes...
                        Seems that the .P83 model is obsolete/discontinued.

ShopJimmy
                        Jul 21 11:07
                        Hi James,
                        I wasn't able to pull anything up at all with the numbers provided. Are there any stickers on the back of the board with any numbers on them?
                        Last edited by gordonfreeman; 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Ok - Bad news eh - Have a look at this - dont know if it is the same set with a toshiba badge- next time you get it to come on, try to get to this. In the service menu you may be able to do a factory reset.

Comment

Yup... I had tried that too... NO dice...

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X