X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

No surprise, they don't care.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      But wait! There's more!

FSP Group FSP300-60THA
      300W rated. 3.3V @ 20A, 5V @ 26A, 12V1 @ 8A, 12V2 @ 14A, 5Vsb @ 2A

This unit appears to work perfectly, however, it is full of Teapo and one large CapXon. The primaries are OST. In general, the build quality is quite good. It is cooled using a single 80mm fan and uses passive PFC, like the other FSP PSU.

No caps are bulging, and it does start, but I've not put it under any load yet. I don't have a sacrificial computer.

Passive PFC inductor is bolted to the removable half of the case (on the 350W it was bolted to the non-removable half), and looks very similar to the 350W model.

It also uses a fan speed controller but a newer updated version using an LM393 and lots of SMD. The controller in the 350W model used an LM358 and all through hole. It looks to be doing PWM speed control, a good solution.

5th photo is supposed to show DM311 controller.

Primaries are 680uF 200V. In the 350W model they were 820uF 200V. Note that output power in watts = ~1/2 capacitance in uF.
      I'm using this power supply in my main computer, actually it was supposed to be a backup to replace my dead OCZ 500W, but now it's been five months and it's still there ! (Phenom II X4 965, Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3, HD5770, SSD, Caviar Green and Barracuda). Not bad for an OEM 300W PSU (I think it came from an Acer computer I picked up in the dump, or what was left of it). I'm running games for hours with not a single problem. But I guess it would be more difficult with a high end graphics card. The only thing is that it makes an annoying noise at low loads only, must be some coil inside but I'm not sure which.

I have another one, which was working fine until I tested a shorted graphics card with it...the fuse is fine so I'm not sure where to look at. It's indeed full of Teapo and Jamicon in there...

Comment

Try secondary rectifiers, migh got shorted. You can do that even without opening the supply, just use diode test on multimeter, any wire of that particular voltage against ground. If it shows 0, it's shorted. If it shows low number arround 6, that should be fine.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

This thing is causing intermittent issues. I'm guessing one of the caps died without bloating because it's restarting the computer every once in a while. Re branded Hipro, never seen that name before. Looks well built, and first time I've seen a 4700uF 10V cap before. Besides the nice 2200uF 16V KZE cap on the 5VSB, the caps are Elite for the primary and Ltec/Teapo on the secondary. Definitely going to recap it
          Attached Files

Comment

Hipro's are good, not being build so heavily lately as used to, but still good more or less. Especially the ones for OEM's like Lenovo, HP, Dell. They usually hold even with those crappy brands, design does not put so much stress on them.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
              Hipro's are good, not being build so heavily lately as used to, but still good more or less. Especially the ones for OEM's like Lenovo, HP, Dell. They usually hold even with those crappy brands, design does not put so much stress on them.
              Yeah it's a good PSU. It was only powering a Core 2 Duo and a GT 430, pretty light load...It has a 6 pin PCI-E connector which is another reason I want to recap it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Re branded Hipro, never seen that name before.
                Chicony now owns Hipro, so all new Hipro PSUs are branded Chicony.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  Chicony now owns Hipro, so all new Hipro PSUs are branded Chicony.
                  Oh okay makes sense. I think this one was manufactured in March, 2010

Comment

Just the other day I did a recap on a nearly new Antec VP450, containing mostly Capxon & Teapo crapacitors. Replaced with Rubycons from here.
                    One thing I may want .... I didn't replace any of the tiny caps I saw(50V 10uf, 25V 22uf, etc...), and from what I've read just a bit ago, it's a better idea to replace even these smaller ones since they are a junk brand and very prone to fail...?
                    This is intended on going in an AMD X6 build... moreso for light server usage, not gaming. Pics are of: craps removed, and 'current finished product'...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well, if they are easily accessible, I would do it, especially arround heatsinks. Otherwise you can leave them. They are usually much less stressed the the bigger ones.

Comment

Originally posted by mazade View Post
                        Just the other day I did a recap on a nearly new Antec VP450, containing mostly Capxon & Teapo crapacitors. Replaced with Rubycons from here.
                        One thing I may want .... I didn't replace any of the tiny caps I saw(50V 10uf, 25V 22uf, etc...), and from what I've read just a bit ago, it's a better idea to replace even these smaller ones since they are a junk brand and very prone to fail...?
                        This is intended on going in an AMD X6 build... moreso for light server usage, not gaming. Pics are of: craps removed, and 'current finished product'...
                        Did you use Samxon GC in a PSU re-cap? I'm not sure that's a good idea.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I don't have any 4700uF 10V caps and I'm too impatient to wait for some to arrive, would it be alright to replace the 4700 with a 3300uF 10V cap with a higher ripple current and 0.001 less ESR? I hate lowering capacitance but it should work since the 5V rail is hardly taxed at all?

Comment

Everyone here does that now and then

Comment

rest are in here:
                              http://imgur.com/a/XJy6y

A few pictures from 2 old dead power supplies.

One seems half decent aside from horribly melted/leaking caps, the other one is interesting as I've never seen so many components missing from something! Pretty much anywhere there should be stuff, there's a jumper instead.

I pulled the fan from the one with the bad caps as it had been replaced with a newer unit recently. Looks like the rest is scrap to me.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the "400w" diablotek from micro center that lasted exactly long enough to boot the computer and run prime95 for 30 seconds. (bought it to replace a dead besttec in an older core 2 quad)

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                                Everyone here does that now and then
                                Sweet

Originally posted by Terrh View Post

rest are in here:
                                http://imgur.com/a/XJy6y
                                That L&C has the wrong description on it, it should say "BAD EVERYTHING"

Comment

@mockingbird -- everything I pulled out was replaced with appropriately spec'd Rubycon's from badcaps.net... the particular line of Rubycon's I don't recall, and didn't think to check as I figure anything-Rubycon is better than teapo's or capxon's

Comment

The ones you used were MCZ. Those are too low ESR for PSUs. Badcaps.net don't carry very many caps which are suited to use in PSUs.

They will probably work, but may make the ripple worse.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

As for Teapo and such, can you tell it ever had 4700 uF, even when coming brand new from factory? I guess not. On the other hand you know good caps have those 3300 uF (with some tolerance)
                                      Last edited by Behemot; 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                        As for Teapo and such, can you tell it ever had 4700 uF, even when coming brand new from factory? I guess not. On the other hand you know good caps have those 3300 uF (with some tolerance)
                                        Yeah the 4700uF 10V Teapo had the exact same dimensions as the 3300uF 10V Teapo

Comment

I wanted to share some pictures of power supply that came out of a PCI expansion box that was given too me. It is one of the heaviest and dense power supplies I have yet encountered. It also has three heatsinks compared to the standard two found in most supplies. It does not have the best brands of capacitors but I did not see any of them bulging and it had been running 24/7 for >7 years if not longer.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X