This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

Hi,here is 6 GL capacitors removed from a sometimes working ok(sometimes it would not switch on) CRS Model:MPT-460EP PMC-1039-Eps-NT with one compnent removed.......what the component was I am hoping to find out elsewhere on Badcaps and at ... http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?to...670#msg1001670 ... where I went looking for help originally

[/IMG]

Comment

I see rather interesting that the bad caps, if they're new, are better than high-quality ones. (But how long? ) Compare http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/540/7 and http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/526/7 - internally the same PSU's, only different caps. The Akasa even gives 500 W and has better ripple/noise than Corsair.
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

can not say how accurate that is though.. if you look, there were 2 different testers used and can not say for sure that the results would be the same for both. there was over a 4% difference in efficiency on the same supply with 2 different load testers. so without knowing if the same tester was used for both tests, you can not say for sure that the reading would still turn out the same.. might still go in the other direction..

Comment

What Akasa?

He read the graph wrong.
          What he called 29mv for the Corsair was closer to 22mv.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
            What Akasa?

He read the graph wrong.
            What he called 29mv for the Corsair was closer to 22mv.
            It's Antec, wtf I wrote?

Well, I see the worst one about 24 mV, but still Antec at 500 W has 20 mV. The testers were the same, look at date - Corsair is reviewed more than month later, the guy won't use worse tester if he has brand new better one

I know that good caps just remain good whole their life and maybe longer, but tell this to a guy who see this review and the Antec would be much cheaper? You know, how to convince him to buy the PSU with Chemi-cons rather than OST's, when he sees OST's are the same or better? Nobody makes review after half a year of use.
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Antec True Powers got glowing reviews across the board.
              Then people bought them and the Fuhjyyu's started popping.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

>You know, how to convince him to buy the PSU with Chemi-cons rather than OST's, when he sees OST's are the same or better? Nobody makes review after half a year of use.

ost is not really that bad in psus: i have them in my fortron and after 2 years it's still perfectly fine.
                other folks i've put same or simillar psus also have no issues with them.

offcourse, corsair is better psu, but i would rather have 2 fortrons than 1 corsair...i like to have a spare...hehe...

antec(or any other psu) that has Fuhjyyu in?
                i would skip that, as it seems Fuhjyyu has the longest run of badcaps of all cap makers...

but overall yes, it's a valid point that psu tests alone tell us nothing about long term reliability/durability.

btw. regarding tests you linked...look at the price: they cost the same!!!
                has better chances of lasting more and has same price....

tell your friend 4mV of ripple more(if it's 20 vs. 24mV) never hurt anybody's pc or any component in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot
                  It's Antec, wtf I wrote?

Well, I see the worst one about 24 mV, but still Antec at 500 W has 20 mV. The testers were the same, look at date - Corsair is reviewed more than month later, the guy won't use worse tester if he has brand new better one

if you look, the update to the review is 1 year 4 months later. but yea, your right.. the old and new are both there.. what can i say.. brain fart.. got my dates mixed up..

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                    ost is not really that bad in psus: i have them in my fortron and after 2 years it's still perfectly fine.
                    other folks i've put same or simillar psus also have no issues with them.
                    Some Fortrons and even Seasonics are so cheap I'd hardly say they are much better than LC Power or so. I discovered it some time ago, together with 10+ new models, that's the reason I started to collect reviews to have at least some picture of them. As I said, some models I though were good are so cheap now, that it's not possible to be quality components inside.

For OST, I don't know how you use the computers, but if you want to overclock a lot, OST doesn't have to blow, but thay can degenerate a lot making really bad ripple/noise on output; than you overclocking became unstable after short period of time. For that reason I recaped my Seasonic SS-500ET-F3 as soon as I got Samxons Maybe I am paranoic, but at least I know I did everything possible and the PSU should be very long time with me

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104951

Me and my friend ordered one of these for a downloads server to put in his basement. I was a little disappointed with the quality. Fuhjyyu secondary caps with teapo primaries, 2 transistor 5vsb circuit (and the 50v, 47uf cap was a Fuhjyyu) as well as having only 1 12v rail unlike it says rectified by a 20A schottky. 5v rectified with a 40A schottky, 3.3v by a 30A. I could easily tell this was a old ATX v1.3 or so psu adapted for v2.2. No OCP present on the protection IC either.

Comment

Anybody heard of Telecon? I have an old Fortron/Source SU40P31 40W PSU from a tape drive that I want to recap and use as a low power bench supply. The secondary side is half Jenpo and half Telecon. None are visibly bad but that doesn't mean anything. I'll have some pictures and post in the power supply section once I recap it.

Comment

Re: List of Bad Caps..SAMXON too..?

I'm doing 4 Samsung LCD's mdl 931B and 3 of the four had some swollen top SAMXON 470uf 25V. The monitors were made in 2006. Is it unusual for Samxons to go bad like this, or were mine counterfeits...any info please.
                          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                            Anybody heard of Telecon? I have an old Fortron/Source SU40P31 40W PSU from a tape drive that I want to recap and use as a low power bench supply. The secondary side is half Jenpo and half Telecon. None are visibly bad but that doesn't mean anything. I'll have some pictures and post in the power supply section once I recap it.
                            see bad telecon often in newall dp7 dro's

Comment

Originally posted by kingofcoins
                              I'm doing 4 Samsung LCD's mdl 931B and 3 of the four had some swollen top SAMXON 470uf 25V. The monitors were made in 2006. Is it unusual for Samxons to go bad like this, or were mine counterfeits...any info please.
                              Dan
                              gl or gf?
                              common to fail series.

Comment

I have new crap found: HonCon and the brand "SMD"

Comment

I fixed two units today...an HP vs17e with 4 bad Capxon, and a Samsung 931B with 2 bad Samwha....replaced all 6 with next higher voltage Nichicon from Digikey. Viewing the 931B now..easiest $75 I've made in a while !

Regarding the series...that I'm new at that...how do I tell which SAMXON's I have ?
                                  ....>
                                  kc8adu gl or gf?
                                  common to fail series

Comment

I figured it out...all my swollen Samxon's are the GK series.
                                    While I have you, kc8adu, I see that most of the Nichicon caps I did
                                    today are of their Standard 85C VR series..didn't realize that while
                                    at Digikeys maze ... so am I in trouble with those fixes ?

gl or gf?
                                    common to fail series[/QUOTE]

Comment

OK I better lay out my concerns now for you experts to jump on:

1. Is there a guideline here at Badcaps to help one step by step thru the selection maze when buying replacements caps ? I didn't know any better
                                      so listened to a salesman at Digikey, and now I find I have 85C Nichison VR series in use.

2. Meeting the physical size limits and temperatuire rating, is it wise to choose the same size capacitance, but the next higher voltage rating ?

3. I see lots of info and pics of failed caps in the 10-12mm diameter sizes, but can't recall seeing many of the 8mm or smaller failures, and certainly none of the 18-20MM large size. So why replace all the small ones on a board ?

4. Re: Samxon...I have several failed GK series on my boards, should I replace all the Samxon GF ones that look good on the same board. ? This raises then another guideline question....could we assemble here a bad vs. good series list as well as those we have for the good/bad manufactures names ?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback .

Dan

vr are not a low esr series.
                                      in monitors i use panasonic fm.

Comment

1. I buy from farnell. Usually only LowESR caps and recap everything with that. I bother with only size and sometimes, voltage.
                                        2. No need to.
                                        3. Some do dry out. If they look fine, that doesn't mean they will test fine
                                        4. Yes and no. Sometimes only some will fail, if you replace those, board will probably work fine, however, more stress will be on newer capacitors and you don't know if 'good looking ones' really are good.

Comment

My list of bad capacitors:

Capxon
                                          JPCon
                                          Lien-Yan
                                          Nichilon(Fake Nichicon)

Comment

Working...
                                          X