newbie IBM motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie IBM motherboard

Hi, im new in badcap scene, hehe, okey, i try before try to repair a old ibm motherboard with 3 cap bad, i try with a bad motherboard remove capacitors. Its a bit hard, i use a Desoldering Solder Removal Vacuum Sucker Pump Tool, for try to remove solder, but is hard, i try again , and nothing cant still remove all the solder of capacitor. Whats the best technique for remove all solder? i dont wanna damage the board for make a bad thing. I have a bad board for practice, any tip is really welcomed..thx!!

Re: newbie IBM motherboard

There are some good help in this forum section; https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24

I use a stainless needle myself to poke though the board while heating the old solder with the soldering iron

If you are asking how to remove the capacitor you should not remove the solder, you should add a bit of solder to the old solder, so it helps you to heat it up, then you can wiggle the capacitor out carefully, and after that the needle approach to get a clean hole for the new cap
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Hi Enito

Welcome to the Forum!

A multi-layer motherboard is a more difficult project to start with.
      The board probably has many conductors and ground planes that will draw heat away, making desoldering difficult and increasing the chance of damaging it.

That said, here's some tips:

1- Make sure the iron or heated sucker is very hot. You will probably need a 40-60 watt iron. If it's adjustable, select the highest heat.

2- Add some more solder to the connection first. This will accomplish two things: More surface area for the iron to contact and it may lower the melting point of the existing solder.

3- Don't allow the iron to touch the board. Only make contact with the solder and component lead.

4- Work fast to reduce chance of damaging the board.

Using this procedure I often remove enough solder on the first try so that the capacitor is loose and will easily pull out.

Those motherboard are the hardest that I've done.

Good Luck,
      Keri

PS. Make sure that you use an appropriate replacement capacitor. Most motherboard caps are special "Low ESR" or "Ultra-Low ESR" capacitors.
      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

thx a lot for replys!!

i try tonight...greets

Comment

Hi, finally i removed the capacitors, thx guy...now i have a doubt, i want replace someones from another bad board capacitor. The bad ones is the green ones : 1000uf 6.3v wg(m) -40+105c , want replace with the other ones darkones is like : 1500uf 6.3v GLUXON 5c to 105c, if possible? i attach you some photos with capacitors and showing one bad from board , is a ibm motherboard. thx a lot for your time.
          Attached Files

Comment

g-luxon? blech...
            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

i know can be bad, but works?
              greets

Comment

Originally posted by enito
                i know can be bad, but works?
                greets
                why waste the time?
                too many good sources for replacements.
                i bet tc/badcaps.net even has a kit for that board.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23

Comment

fix it now, not when it burns due to dried up caps. save yourself a board.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Working...
                    X