Good quality 18650 battery replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good quality 18650 battery replacement

Not sure if this is the best place to put this or not, but seemed the most fitting.

I bought a old HP Omnibook 800CT for $0.99 as a little side project to play dos and early windows games on. I originally planned on putting in a CF card in lieu of a hard drive, as it wasn't going to come with one, but the seller for some reason included a hard drive anyways.

So I tried charging it, and the battery is stone dead. I peeled it open and whaddya know it's just 4 18650's.

I believe they are only 1350mah cells as the whole battery is rated at 7.2V, 2.7AH. There are four cells, with two banks of two cells being in series, and those two banks in parallel with each other.

So what would be a good quality replacement for these? I can find those chinese "5000mah" cells all day long on ebay and amazon for cheap. While they may actually be 2000mah cells I still don't trust them to not explode or loose capacity within 2 years.

I'm thinking either these or maybe these.

Re: Good quality 18650 battery replacement

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
    Not sure if this is the best place to put this or not, but seemed the most fitting.

I bought a old HP Omnibook 800CT for $0.99 as a little side project to play dos and early windows games on. I originally planned on putting in a CF card in lieu of a hard drive, as it wasn't going to come with one, but the seller for some reason included a hard drive anyways.

So I tried charging it, and the battery is stone dead. I peeled it open and whaddya know it's just 4 18650's.

I believe they are only 1350mah cells as the whole battery is rated at 7.2V, 2.7AH. There are four cells, with two banks of two cells being in series, and those two banks in parallel with each other.

So what would be a good quality replacement for these? I can find those chinese "5000mah" cells all day long on ebay and amazon for cheap. While they may actually be 2000mah cells I still don't trust them to not explode or loose capacity within 2 years.

I'm thinking either these or maybe these.
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/18650.html

Do you need button top, like "AA," "C," "D," or solder tabbed cells?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...allel-Charging
    Last edited by kaboom; 09-02-2013, 08:40 PM.
    "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
    Originally posted by shango066
    All style and no substance.
    Originally posted by smashstuff30
    guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
    guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

well it is not a long term solution, but i wold just use some good ones from other batteries i have taken apart

They have a tendency to die in parallel, i.e. if they are in 2S3P so there may be one bank of 2P dead while others are okay.

But then again for long term solution i would use new Japanese batteries.
      Last edited by domas; 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post

So what would be a good quality replacement for these?
        The one you try to link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-4-2V-31...item53fd24143b

Or these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221167716818...84.m1423.l2649

You do not want to use these batteries because of the PROTECTION PCB in them there not need because the computer has a PROTECTION built in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PANASONIC-...item5af30b2083

I have rebuilt a few Ryobi Li-ion battery pack

The cells some of these battery packs are made in China and have a higher rate of bad cells in these battery pack 90 % one may be good out of five

The battery packs that have Japan made battery cells on the other hand have about 20 % bad cells in them 3 may be good out of five
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-03-2013, 05:37 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

sorry for thread necro dig but wanted to ask if ebay and aliexpress are reliable places to get 18650 batteries with japanese panasonic cells in them? for example, here and here on aliexpress and here and here on ebay. genuine or fakes?

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            sorry for thread necro dig but wanted to ask if ebay and aliexpress are reliable places to get 18650 batteries with japanese panasonic cells in them? for example, here and here on aliexpress and here and here on ebay. genuine or fakes?
            Yes you right there is a lot fakes out there but I have bought from this seller before and these batteries are the real thing but they do not have the protection board in them

I have load tested these batteries before and the milliamperes rating is what it says it is

The testing that was done is as following example
            A One . Five amp load and the load was left ON unit the battery voltage when to 3.0
            The amount of time that battery held the load this tell you the amount of actual milliamperes the battery has this is how I do this test

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Genuine-Pa...3D230935281442

Do you need the batteries with the protection boards in the battery or with out that dose make a difference

What are going to do with them
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

gonna use them to power my diy 12v portable fans. an electronics project i've been wanting to do. beats those cheap usb portable fans on 5v. the application is fairly low current so should not be an issue requiring protection. just dont use a junk charger i guess?
              Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 05-30-2017, 03:41 AM.

Comment

the protection is also to prevent UNDER voltage!

Comment

Working...
                X