Intel 865 mother board prob with "NTB 18N06l IC"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel 865 mother board prob with "NTB 18N06l IC"

Don't have the problem with bad caps but i found the cmos checksum error continously whenever i started the computer.
    searched for the error n tried to trouble shoot it. while doing it i removed the battery in order to see if its alive or not, found the battery is hot. searched for the cause and found that NTB 18NO6L ic's which r located next to the battery r getting real hot. If smone has the same board plz tell me is it normal or its the begining of a big fault, rest of th pc is at room temp, if u touch these ic's in working mode they even nearly burn ur finger(70-75 C may be) they r really hot.
    plz tell me is that normal or not , bcoz i don't look in to my pc that often .
    Attached Files

Re: Intel 865 mother board prob with "NTB 18N06l IC"

Those two ICs/ MOSFETs shouldn't get burning hot. They normally get warm, but not hot enough to burn your finger.... not sure if it's normal for them to get hot for that certain motherboard model though. The heating up battery is a bit worrying though.... I'll leave that to the others to comment because they will probably know more than I do.

What's that switch at the bottom of your case?? it looks like a manual BIOS jumper switch??.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

i have seen ich8 doing 76oC on a new 965 board
      put some sinks on the fets?
      is southbridge hot as well?
      gpu looks fanless as well. more heat in that area
      whats case cooling like?
      badcaps can cause fets to get hot but maybe design "feature" of that board anyway. maybe someone has that board here and can compare temps
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

thanks willwake n stevo,

the pic i hv used is not of my mother board,I found it in a thread. i don't have any bios jumper installed ( I'll soon put a pic of my motherboard ), its all the same with only a lan card insatlled in the first pci slot and no Advncd ghraphics card.

@is southbridge hot as well?@

i don't know wt a southbridge is(newbie), plz tell.

i'll try to put extra sink on the fets, but i don't know how or wt kind of sinks to use, Untill that my cpu cover is open n i hv installed a fan for cooling.

the capacitor next to the fet's is getting hot too n may led to badcaps . Even the processor zone is less hotter than fets.

plz sujjest an affective way to cool them.
        rest working of the board is fine and normal.

"i m waiting for the temp comparisons"

i hv found no badcaps in my board, so if its not normal then wt may be the possible cause.

Comment

Without a coil it is linear voltage regulator. This implies that depending on the current, the excess voltage is just turned into heat by the MOSFET devices you marked.

I know similar designs from other vendors and sure, they are always getting hot per design.
          I would consider a temperature between 50°C to 80°C as intended working temperature.
          The heat does obviously reduce the endurance of the caps, but it depends from the designer, to dress this issue by using more or better caps.
          Generally, i suggest to create an airflow from the bottom of the case to the top (assuming a tower style case).

For this purpose, i think it needs at least one intake and a good ventilated psu or an additional exhaust fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolus
            i don't know wt a southbridge is(newbie), plz tell.
            The southbridge is the big black chip that says the word "Intel" on it.
            In the picture you posted, the two yellow arrows are crossing across it and it is in the bottom right section of the motherboard.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Tough the southbridge chip with your own fingers, to feel the hot is normal or not, then make sure southbridge have problem or not rudimentary.

On the other hand, i have repaired some Intel i865 mothbaords in the previous period. I discovered the small caps (yellow sqaure in photo) always failed or dry, which i tested by a caps meter. However, it is difficult to discover by users' eyes only.

If anyone have a caps meter in hand, i suggest to check the small caps on all Intel P4 mobos(included i845 series, not only i865).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Big Pope; 10-17-2007, 12:57 AM.
              My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                the excess voltage is just turned into heat by the MOSFET devices you marked.
                i think thats may be the cause , but wts causing the excess voltage , the intel active monitor showing normal voltage levels
                while putting an extra fan is cooling down the fets.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Wolus; 10-17-2007, 03:07 AM.

Comment

thnx stevo for tellin.

the southbridge is gettin hot too due to fets. the fan i plcd is cooling them up.

[QUOTE=Big Pope]then make sure southbridge have problem or not rudimentary.
                  QUOTE]

how to check for probs in the southbridge, and when did southbridge is rudimentary.
                  Now the temps r normal after the extra fan, is the prob is solved or may get bigger in future.

Comment

HI MY NAME IS DIEGO AND I AM FROM ARGENTINA SO I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH.I HAVE THIS MOTHERBOARD TOO AND BOTH NTB 18NOL AND THE BATTERY GETS REALLY HOT BESIDES ONE OF THE FETS HAS A BROWN COLOR LIKE OXID OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.THE PROBLEM WITH MY COMPUTER IS THAT SOMETIMES IT RESETS AND AFTER THAT WHEN WINDOWS IS LOADING IT RESETS AGAIN AND AGAIN.i lookED for BAD CAPS BUT SEEMS TO BE NONE.nOW IAM TRIYING WITH OTHER POWER SUPPLY.ANY IDEA?

Comment

casivivo first of all "STOP YELLING" use lower case please.

not sure what the issue is with those IC/mosfet (if any..don't know the MB)
                      stevo seems to think fairly warm but not burn your fingers type hot
                      Gonzo seems to think they will cook
                      me no idea

on NTB I could find nothing (assuming some manufactures logo?)
                      (only these forums and a supplier link and another )

Did find NTD, here's a PDF

Stated as being

NTD18N06L
                      Power MOSFET
                      18 Amps, 60 Volts, Logic Level
                      N−Channel DPAK
                      Designed for low voltage, high speed switching applications in
                      power supplies, converters and power motor controls and bridge
                      circuits.
                      Typical Applications
                      • Power Supplies
                      • Converters
                      • Power Motor Controls
                      • Bridge Circuits

judging by there current handling they are there to do a bit of work thought

The freezing rebooting you could consider the classic symptoms of badcaps and yes its possible the PSU can be the issue, so yeah switch with known working good one rated to handle the system
                      If you still have same symptoms then its (moslt likely )
                      something to do with the MB (if it is a HW problem)

Caps can fail without showing it too

I haven't fully read the above posts, but I would if I was you... see if anything applies to you

Yeah extra cooling is not going to hurt either...if the battery does get warm (and I have no idea, but heat and batteries to me seems like a bad mix)
                      it might be an idea to replace it any how

I am not familiar with this MB but others above are so Id check what they have said

when you have freezing and rebooting happening randomly there is a fair chance the VRM output caps are cactus.

You can either confirm by checking with an ESR meter if there are no visible signs.

Take pot luck and just replace them with the RIGHT caps low ESR type.
                      (it wont hurt anyway)

Sound like your new to this so I suggest you read posts around here and look though the FAQ on how to recap if you haven't don't it before....

I am not saying this is your problem either.

Any cap with a vent exposed to a lot of heat is a good suspect...chips sets have been known to fail too.

what you have to do now is try and rule out likely causes and check what you can with what you have...mulitmeter ESR meter etc

Yeah BP I remember you mentioning those yellow caps before....so that too is possible with these MB's (Bgavin you aware of that?)

BTW what are they symptoms of these failing Big pope ?

HTH

Cheers and Welcome
                      Last edited by starfury1; 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM.
                      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by starfury1
                        Yeah BP I remember you mentioning those yellow caps before....so that too is possible with these MB's (Bgavin you aware of that?)
                        I am now... thanks!

I just gotta get me a decent ESR meter so I can check caps in-board.

Comment

yeah would have thought you would have one already
                          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I never got one, because I figure I was just going to recap a few boards and be done with it. Replace every cap above 470uF and call it good. I seem to be doing a lot more boards than I originally intended.

I currently am doing a partial on a Shuttle AK31V20 (with bullshit VIA KT266a chipset). I don't have seven 6.3/2700 caps, so I simply left them in place. I replaced the G-Luxon VRM bulgers with MCZ. The remainder of the VRM are the seven OST 2700. None are bulged so I left them alone. This is the time when a meter would be good. I don't don't to put anything more into this board then necessary.

I'm still replacing all KZx on Intel boards with MCZ, though. I've been losing too many KZx to allow them to stay in the board.

Comment

ESR meter is a handy item to have for Electros (and very low resistance)
                              (just be aware inboard testing there may be a trap or too using them)
                              (Think Bobs may still be the cheapest way to get a decent one, heres post on the new version )

on the yellow ones
                              think that the value of them would be too small to be of use ESR wise.
                              (10uF up on Bobs meter, its not the issue and pointless exercise with values so low capacitance wise..if I remember correctly? )
                              So maybe capacitance meter or just replace them, quick short answer.
                              (it will either fix it or it wont)

Till BP mentioned again it I didn't remember and then I remembered you had been having issues with intel MB so thought Id query on it

hopefully some of those troubled ones it will be them.
                              there is a thread BP posted in on it but it was a while back now.

dont recall what the exact symptoms were
                              but hope it help solves a few for you Bgavin

Goodluck Cheers
                              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
                              X