Intel D845hv El Paso Motherbaord Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to the site, so excuse me if I am asking a question that has already been answered.
    I am getting ready to replace some assumed bad caps on a Intel D845hv motherboard from Gateway.
    The existing Caps that I am going to replace are labled as such
    HM(m) 105 C H0140 3300uf 6.3v I assume they are Nichicon capacitors.
    The local electronics supply house had some replacements in stock, but not the exact same label. The label of the Capacitors they have in stock are
    PW(m) 105 c H0708 3300uf 6.3v Nichicon. Looking at the spec sheets onon the web, they do not spec out exaclty the same. Can anyone tell me if there is any reasone why I can not or should not use these as a replacments?

Re: Correct cap to use

HM are quite low esr caps. PW are not so low esr. it would be definitely quite a downgrade but may work. I would recommed to find lower esr caps though.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I am new to the site, so forgive me for my ignorance.

I recently recieved a computer from a friend. I am assuming the motherboard has bad caps on it. The Computer will boot up and load the operating system and function fine for a while. While using the computer for a while it will just freeze up randomly. I have to do a hard reset to get it to respond again. Typically once it freezes up for the first time, it will freeze up shortly after booting up within 2 mins or so, or it will not even boot the BIOS, or even boot up some times. I have swapped our evertying to trouble shoot it (IE: PSU, CPU, Memory, Video Card, Hard Drive, Remove all CD Roms, Floppys and Add in cards) but have not been able to solve the problem. Thats when I found out about the possiblity of Bad caps. I have looked the motherboard over, and have found that there are 2 Caps on the board that are obviously bulging. These two caps are the larger caps next to the CPU. Can anyone tell me if I have any other reason to believe, that these caps are not bad?

By the way, the System is a Gateway System
      Motherbaord -Intel D845hv El paso Motherboard the Caps that are bulging are labled HM(m) 105c H0140 3300uf 6.3v

Any feedback would be appreciated

Comment

Re: Intel D845hv El Paso Motherbaord Gateway

Willawake,
        Is there a particular make and type capacitor that you would recommend to replace the existing capacitors?

Comment

there is no point to recommend something which may not be available to you. where are you based?

Comment

I from San Antonio, TX USA.

Comment

what is the diameter of the original caps and if there is any problems with spacing using larger diameter caps.

Comment

The existing caps are 10 MM D x 25 mm L There is not much room to spare around them since they all line up in a row. I would say I need to have the diameter specified above

Comment

If he's in San Antonio, I'd recommend ordering from Mouser - they tend to show up the next day.

Comment

TC has them. Mouser will not. The PW and HE that Mouser will have are 12.5mm.

Comment

Welcome NewCapper,

Willawake is right. PW is way too low a grade.

HM 3300uF 6.3v in 10x25 are ESR=.012 and Ripple=2800.

Quite a high grade of caps....

-
                      Caps of equivelent specs are
                      Rubycon MCZ
                      Chemicon KZJ
                      Samxon SM
                      Nichicon HM
                      -
                      Nichicon had a 2 year run of bad HM due to a manufacturing error but HM manufactured after 2004 ~should~ be okay. - Nothing is guaranteed. HM are like black sheep. No one will buy them so it's unknown if they are okay now.
                      -
                      It's probably okay to go down a grade to something like Rubycon MBZ, Sanyo WG, or Samxon GD if you ~HAVE~ to. Intel usually over-spec things a bit.

-
                      Digikey doesn't have anything that high grade unless you switch to polymer caps.
                      You have to go down in uF but they handle so much ripple it compensates for the difference. (The lower voltage is okay *IF* these caps are in the row right next to the CPU. The real voltage there is less than 3v and probably under 2v.)
                      They carry the Chemicon NPCAP's in PS and PSA series.
                      http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-3061-ND

-
                      The best (quickest) solution might be to contact Topcat (owner of this site) and see if he has any Rubycon MCZ (or Samxon SM) in stock.
                      All you have to do is PM him.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

I have successfully recapped three of this particular board. I use my Rubycon MCZ for the job. Works great. There aren't that many caps to do, and it is a straight forward job.

Comment

Does anybody know what the Part # is for the Rubycon MCZ cap? My local supplier said he could order some in as long as he knows the Part #. He said he could also get Panasonic and Nichicon capacitors if I knew their part #'s.

Comment

why does he need a part number, what is he some kind of robot?

Comment

Correction: Samxon SM should say Samxon GD.
                              SM the abbreviation for Samxon in my cheat-sheet. I read the wrong column.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X