X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Cheap/Free scores for this week :

1 - One HP laptop 670p I bought for 20 $ , the guy said its screen is broken . What was broken in fact was the hinges only , and in the following day , it was sold for 200$ .. I like trading , lol .

2 - Samsung 2.5 inch external enclosure .

3 - One Viewsonic Multimedia MIT-127 monitor for free , it was shutting after 3 seconds . This time , I wanted to try one of my oldest tricks when we used to repair very exhausted and old TVs . A heat gun and full re-soldering without changing any parts whatsoever (don't tell anyone please ), and there you go , it's shining like a star .

4 - One Apple Mp3 player .

5 - One Nintendo ds without adapter , but working .

6 - One Samsung Sata Hard disk with full melted sata interface due to ... To what exactly , I really don't know , but of course , i've seen it hundred times before . A little cleaning and soldering and the Hard is speeding .

Comment

about that DS, the connector is pinout and footprint compatable with usb, just change the socket!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        about that DS, the connector is pinout and footprint compatable with usb, just change the socket!
        First thing that got in my mind , no need for changing socket even , just cut a little bit of the extra plastic .

Comment

I got these today:

Allview A5 Smiley - half of touchscreen works, needs a replacement otherwise LCD is fine, which shouldn't be too pricey.

Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 4G - needs a whole new LCD/Touch/Mainframe assembly. Will definitely look for one too as the i9305 is a pretty good variant of the S3.

Premier LC-B400ATX 400W - 2005 datecode w/ 2002 caps. Strangely enough the transformers were good (real 35 size) but the rest was utter crap. Harvested the transformers and installed them on another Deer I previously rebuilt that had tiny transformers.

Also bought an S-Video breakout cable for a Geforce FX5600 I have.

Now that I think of it, I have a lot of phones, with most of them needing a few little fixes:

Huawei Ascend G510 - USB port broke - I managed to install TWRP recovery and CM11 though. May see if it's able to run Lollipop, since there actually is a ROM for it.

Allview P5 eMagic - negative (-) pin on USB port broke - may try and ground the pin internally and see if it works afterwards.

Galaxy S4 GT-i9506 - this one needs just a new battery and a lot of storage space - the microphone that is used for recording audio (both in video and separately) developed some sort of static electricity, and I've read that this can be fixed by leaving the phone to record video for one hour.
          Last edited by Dan81; 01-14-2018, 12:11 PM.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

the 'supermicro tree' has been pretty quiet the last few months....but these showed up last Friday....

2 brand new X7DAL's. Never mounted, or even taken out of their bags.
            Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Here are some power supply's i got from HSC for 1.00 each.
              Nemic-Lambda 5VDC 20A

Converter Concepts Inc. 5VDC 8A

Delta 16VDC 2.82A

3Y Power Technology [FSP Group]

Attached Files
              I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

A dozen 15K 300GB FCAL drives

And, another donor's idea of how to "protect" their data!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Curious.George; 01-17-2018, 02:31 PM. Reason: Photo

Comment

Cheap ebay score, Supermicro X7DCA-3. This isn't the mATX (X7DCA-L), this is an eATX. Unusual for the fact its a workstation board with an onboard SAS controller (Broadcom/LSI 1068E chipset, which is very solid). Those are usually the server versions. It was cheap, seller didn't know what he had....has 2x CPU's and 4 memory modules that he had no clue what they were....but for the price (a lowball offer that was accepted), I'll gamble the 'mystery CPU's & RAM'.... I have a SM eATX for this, or I wouldn't have bought it.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

@Topcat : Dual CPU were always a dream in Pentium III era . Nice catch ..

Free scores for this week :

1 - Sony MDR-666MV headphones . A professional one really . Customer said it was acting erratically , and joked about the 666 number , but i guess he wasn't kidding , lol , this headphone choose what it likes to play and disregard others ...It produce Echo or reverbrate on its own , lol .. Some songs play normally , some just won't . Maybe it's something went wrong in its circuitry , mostly related to audible frequencies . We'll see about ...

2 - A huge lot of HDMI cables and different adapters , Many external sata 2.5 and 3.5 ide , 4 UPS and 2 printers . Different Multi USB Adapters multipliers . I like when an office go broken

3 - One MSI Board 1151 socket . He's upgrading to a newer I9 .

4 - Two Core 2 duo boxes , complete .. Also upgrading .

5 - One Qosmio Satellite F45 , Nice white color . Changing CPU and two mosfets get it UP and going and running . Now i have to fix its Apple like DVD .

6 - Two 500 GB Samsung Hard disks ...Upgrading

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                      Cheap/Free scores for this week :

1 - One HP laptop 670p I bought for 20 $ , the guy said its screen is broken . What was broken in fact was the hinges only , and in the following day , it was sold for 200$ .. I like trading , lol .
                      Lol, nice quick little profit there for you.

People give up too easily these days and throw away perfectly good stuff.

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                      It's smaller than a normal MOSFET and has a lot more legs. (about 4-5 I think).
                      That's still likely a single N-ch MOSFET, though. So you can replace it with a "free-standing" TO-252 and some thick copper wires for Drain and Source connetions.

However, most of the GPUs I've found vary somewhere between MX440 and FX5200, and rarely a Radeon 9550/9600 ever pops up.
                      The Radeon 9550/9600 and 9500/9700 video cards are all mid-range cards. They were pricey back in the day, so that's why there aren't that many of them to be found. The MX420/440/460 and FX5200 were all low-end, cheap cards (they are practically the same thing, actually - a revised GeForce 2 core) and hence very popular. But they are crap when it comes to performance, though. Same goes for the Radeon 9200/9250.

I do have a Sapphire Radeon 9250 128MB found in that box. I might build a test rig with that card just to see if it can run NFS U1 and 2.
                      Oh, it will *run* those games, I guarantee you that. Just don't expect better than 800x600 resolution and more than 30 FPS on average. Otherwise, at least the Radeon 9200/9250 supports all of the visual effects (including crowds) in NFS U1 and U2. I finished those two games many times on that video card.
                      Good times!

PS: Low resolutions look terrible on an LCD so you might want to use a CRT monitor for those old video cards - preferably no larger than 17" to make the games look better .

6 - One Samsung Sata Hard disk with full melted sata interface due to ... To what exactly , I really don't know , but of course , i've seen it hundred times before . A little cleaning and soldering and the Hard is speeding .
                      SATA power connectors are well-known to do that. I think it's mostly due to bad contacts (a combination of the connector's contacts using cheaper and/or RoHS-compliant materials and the fact that SATA connectors don't exert anywhere near the same force as a PATA/Molex power connector).
                      Hence why I still prefer my old PATA drives when it comes to reliability - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is my favorite, to be exact.

Free scores for this week :

1 - Sony MDR-666MV headphones . A professional one really . Customer said it was acting erratically , and joked about the 666 number , but i guess he wasn't kidding , lol , this headphone choose what it likes to play and disregard others ...It produce Echo or reverbrate on its own , lol .. Some songs play normally , some just won't . Maybe it's something went wrong in its circuitry , mostly related to audible frequencies . We'll see about ...
                      Circuitry???
                      Rip it all out and wire them straight to a 3.5 mm connector cable (or 1/4" if you're oldschool ). If you still get problems then, that might be more worrisome matter.

By the way, the Radeon HD3870 video cards have 666 Million transistors. Yet none of mine (3) are dead yet.

2 - A huge lot of HDMI cables and different adapters , Many external sata 2.5 and 3.5 ide , 4 UPS and 2 printers . Different Multi USB Adapters multipliers . I like when an office go broken
                      Nice.
                      One can never have enough spare cables. Even when you think you do, there's always a situation where you just don't have something, lol.

5 - One Qosmio Satellite F45 , Nice white color . Changing CPU and two mosfets get it UP and going and running . Now i have to fix its Apple like DVD .
                      slot-loading DVD? Ugh, I'm not a fan of those - usually more complicated than needed and often too delicate - IMO, not a good choice for a portable device.

@Topcat : Dual CPU were always a dream in Pentium III era . Nice catch ..
                      A kid in my high school many years back had a dual 850 MHz P3 rig. Most people laughed at his PC because everyone had a Pentium 4 PC then. I'm pretty sure his rig was faster than all of the P4 Willamate and most Northwood systems back then.

About 10 years ago, I had the chance to take a server room full of Dell P3 rights (there were a few dual P3 Precision workstations in there) along with about 100 or so beige Dell QuietKey keyboards... but I never took any of that (I was worried I wouldn't have the space and my parents wouldn't allow me). Too bad, though, because some of these systems sell for quite a bit now. And the beige QuietKey keyboards would have been awesome if I had taken all of them and cleaned them up. I haven't had a single person try it on my computer and tell me it wasn't a nice keyboard.

Anyways, I imagine all of that has probably gone to e-scrap heaven now. :\

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                      A dozen 15K 300GB FCAL drives

And, another donor's idea of how to "protect" their data!
                      That's dumb. I hate it when perfectly good equipment is wasted.
                      So how is this a good score again?

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
                      Those look pretty good.
                      The Converter Concepts Inc. looks pretty old. Also, the fact that it mentions 44-440 Hz makes me think this one was designed for the aviation industry/use.
                      Last edited by momaka; 01-19-2018, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        Lol, nice quick little profit there for you.

People give up too easily these days and throw away perfectly good stuff.
                        It's just fashion following , a real virus in Lebanon .. I had once a young customer offering me his Iphone 6 for 50 $ , just to buy the new arriving Iphone 7 for 700 $ !! .. I simply refused as his father is one of my closest friends and maybe he won't appreciate the deal . His son sold it anyway , lol ...

SATA power connectors are well-known to do that. I think it's mostly due to bad contacts (a combination of the connector's contacts using cheaper and/or RoHS-compliant materials and the fact that SATA connectors don't exert anywhere near the same force as a PATA/Molex power connector).
                        Hence why I still prefer my old PATA drives when it comes to reliability - Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is my favorite, to be exact.
                        I tend to affirm your explanation 200% , as I never seen a PATA or scuzzi doing that ever . Talking also about gold plating , it's zilch now , terrible manufacturing , nothing is perfect anymore ...
                        Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 is a very fast one , the best at speed

Circuitry???
                        Rip it all out and wire them straight to a 3.5 mm connector cable (or 1/4" if you're oldschool ). If you still get problems then, that might be more worrisome matter.
                        I hoped it's humidity or water spill or something like that , since I prefer not to dismantle its sensitive parts , so i let it face a fan for four days , and it's still the same symptoms . Next , i'll open it , hoping to find a coupled bad cap ( lol ) or a rusting resistor . Changing its original tissue cable housing as a last resort would probably worsen its look , unless using some gold plated connectors and some thicker good cables .

[QUOTE]
                        By the way, the Radeon HD3870 video cards have 666 Million transistors. Yet none of mine (3) are dead yet.

[QUOTE]

Ah , yes , but Intel didn't dare to label Celeron 666 , ...

Nice.
                        One can never have enough spare cables. Even when you think you do, there's always a situation where you just don't have something, lol.
                        I do have .. I do . The problem is , find it when needed !! , lol , a lot of mess that needs maybe one hundred years of organizing ..

slot-loading DVD? Ugh, I'm not a fan of those - usually more complicated than needed and often too delicate - IMO, not a good choice for a portable device.

Yep ...The worst ever , and from Toshiba , lol ...

About 10 years ago, I had the chance to take a server room full of Dell P3 rights (there were a few dual P3 Precision workstations in there) along with about 100 or so beige Dell QuietKey keyboards... but I never took any of that (I was worried I wouldn't have the space and my parents wouldn't allow me). Too bad, though, because some of these systems sell for quite a bit now. And the beige QuietKey keyboards would have been awesome if I had taken all of them and cleaned them up. I haven't had a single person try it on my computer and tell me it wasn't a nice keyboard.

Anyways, I imagine all of that has probably gone to e-scrap heaven now. :\
                        I've once sold a desktop dual CPU , the next day of assembling it , I felt its power although . I may say it sold itself ...Maybe will search for another board again , something more modern of course .

Comment

mikay786 has not posted for a while - i miss his bootsale raids!!

Comment

That's dumb. I hate it when perfectly good equipment is wasted.
                            So how is this a good score again?
                            The dozen 300GB 15K FCAL drives:
                            "A dozen 15K 300GB FCAL drives"

Note there were 18 "cracked" drives in the photo; they weren't the FCAL drives but, rather, just some other "wiped" drives from another donor).

Today was a dozen Cisco AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9's. But, discovered belatedly that they use a different mounting bracket than the AP's that I currently have installed so I'll have to go back for those.

Oh, and a 135W ultrasonic heated cleaner (more exciting than the AP's!)

Comment

Cheap ebay score of some 147gb 15k 2.5" SAS HDD's. I picked up 8 of them. They were $11/per drive including ship, I bought all they had.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

just heated? or with a cooler/coldzone at the top??

Comment

just heated? or with a cooler/coldzone at the top??
                                  Heat (temperature controller)/power level/de-gas. ~2 liter tank w/drain. I just plan on using it to clean some prototype boards/assemblies -- though I am curious as to the effect it would have on calcifications on the shower heads, faucet aerators, etc.

For the price of a power cord (someone cut it off before I could get to it as wire is recycled differently from stainless steel and bits of electronics) it seemed like a deal!

Comment

we had a bigger one where i worked once,

the heater was in the base, but it had a chiller at the top to recondense any solvent that tried to escape.
                                    it was a great design, full of warm freon and it never evaporated!!

Comment

we had a bigger one where i worked once
                                      Employers have several advantages when it comes to kit:
                                      • capital (to afford the item)
                                      • space (to store/house it)
                                      • staff (to make use of it)
                                      • demand (to create a need for that use)

I've worked at places where they had their own etch tank, wave, shaker table, ovens, etc. But, they had all of the above to justify having these bits of kit!

Individuals (even LLC's, sole props, partnerships, etc.) tend to have one or more of these missing -- which changes the calculus significantly!

For example, I've discarded my pen plotters and color printers as the space they consumed and the effort they required (maintenance) wasn't justified by the demand for their use; I can walk down the street and have a service bureau do those sorts of things for me.

There are other bits of kit that are similarly "low usage" -- but, they either take very little space/effort to keep around OR they can't really be "outsourced". E.g., I can afford to keep a logic analyzer on hand because it is relatively "cheap" to do so AND immensely valuable if I need it NOW...

Comment

I discovered a simple hack that would let me significantly cut back on my "serial cables" (I have to interface to a lot of highly varied devices with all sorts of bastardized serial ports).

I have a couple of 25 pin, low-C, M-F "straight thru" cables. These are effectively "extension cords" as nothing changes from one end to the other except the distance between them!

Then, I have a shoebox of various "adapters" that I have built, over the years. These are effectively "very short, very rigid" cables with a pair of connectors (one on each end of the adapter's "case"). All of the stuff that makes a particular cable unique is hidden inside the adapter. Plug an adapter on an "extension cord" and you've now got a cable that has the characteristics of that adapter!

And, there's nothing to stop you from plugging multiple adapters (as long as they have compatible connectors)!

Having a second (or third) "cable" just means making a second (or third) adapter with the desired characteristics.

A similar set of arguments applies to making various PARALLEL PORT cables!

And, 9-pin serial port cables/"adapters" (e.g., to connect to my older UPS's, I just slap the "UPS" adapter on the end of a DB9 serial cable and KNOW that I now have a "UPS serial cable").

Sure beats having boxes full of tangled, unlabeled oddball cables for specific uses!

Comment

lol
                                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                                          X