Sapphire Pure Innovation PI-A9RX480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapphire Pure Innovation PI-A9RX480

The jury's still out on whether or not I feel like recapping this thing (I don't have the replacement caps and I don't know if I feel like buying them), but I thought I would provide some pictures of it for posterity.

This board died on me a couple days ago. I had been overclocking the memory pretty good on it, and it started flaking out. Eventually it got to the point it froze up and never booted again.

Originally got this board for free because it had a capacitor broken off - I replaced it and it had been working fine since... until I started overclocking it.

The board in all its glory. Not a bad board at all, when it works.

That Chemi-Con is the replacement I put on. Old one was a Nichicon 6.3V 2200uF - forgot which series. The caps behind it are all Nichicon.

Don't have to go far to find crap - there are several of these Licon 16V 470uF caps on the board.

Not sure about these.

Oh, look - more crap. A total of seven Teapo 3300uF 6.3V. More Licons too.

"Hey! Let's use some good OS-Con caps just so we can say it has good caps on it!!!"

And so I conclude my little tour of my dead Sapphire Pure Innovation. Still debating a recap job on this - not sure I have the time to waste on it, I know I don't have the caps, and ordering from Digikey is too much a hassle. If there were money in the Paypal account, I'd see about ordering some from Topcat. If I had replacements for the Teapos I'd at least see if that brings the board back to life, but all I have are more Chemi-Con KZE 2200's, and that's a bit too far off 3300uF for my liking.

Re: Sapphire Pure Innovation PI-A9RX480

What's with the "T" vents on the Teapo caps?? Looks like they're trying to knockoff Panasonic caps with that.. Neat looking board though.. What speed AMD64 is that??

Would be a cool board for doing a recap though...

Comment

Not sure about these.
      the ones with the O logo and UD are nichicon ud

i like the white pcb
      wasnt this the board model that nuked the cpu for several reviewers?
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

That's a 3800+ single core. It was running my 3800+ X2 when it died. Fortunately the CPU is ok... not sure if this board is known for killing chips or not.

I think I might go ahead and recap it one of these days. It's too nice a board to not try. Just not anytime soon though... this week has been terrible and it's only half over.

Comment

Update - tried to recap it, and it's still dead. What a waste of good Rubycons

Comment

Pull them out and reuse them.

I recapped an AMD board with a bunch of Rubys and it still stayed dead.
            So, I pulled them out and put them back into the bag for next time.

For me, they are at least 65 cents each plus shipping. It mounts up.

Comment

I have this motherboard as well but it's somewhat unstable, givin me BSOD's all the time.
              Also those panasonic T vents on Teapo SC caps. Replaced the Teapo and Licon craps did'nt solve the problems so it's now laying somewhere. waiting for maybe another solution.

Comment

I'm thinking a new BIOS chip might bring mine back, but instead of bothering I just moved on. Bought a Phenom 9600 and a Jetway HA07-Ultra for the main rig.

The Jetway is full of Fujitsu polymers - very happy with it so far

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                  I'm thinking a new BIOS chip might bring mine back, but instead of bothering I just moved on. Bought a Phenom 9600 and a Jetway HA07-Ultra for the main rig.

The Jetway is full of Fujitsu polymers - very happy with it so far
                  I've always thought of Jetway as a very low-quality maker. Should I reconsider that opinion?

Comment

I don't know... never used one of theirs before. I'm more impressed with this one than my Asrock 939Dual-VSTA board though. That one still had low grade OST caps all over it, even though it has the good stuff in the CPU VRM section.

This Jetway on the other hand seems to exclusively use the polymer Fujitsus. They're everywhere on that board. It's been very stable so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X