Just got a Foxconn board - Thought I'd Share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got a Foxconn board - Thought I'd Share

Foxconn M61PMV Has Panasonics by the VRM, everywhere else has Rubycons except for the PCI express slot.. has 3 Evercons... WTH?! Evercon LZ 470uf 16v.

If your gonna put almost all good caps on a motherboard.. Why skimp anywhere else... Jeez

Re: Just got a Foxconn board - Thought I'd Share

its a very cheap board. nice to get mostly good caps, good find
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Well, im building a computer for my Cousin for school. He is like a brother to me and I am doing it as a favor. Ill guarantee it for a year but its up in the air after that.

Comment

Funny how Foxconn ranges from very cheap to good quality. I understand they build a lot of the Intel brand boards.

Comment

My 17" Princeton LCD monitor is almost 5 years old and it has all Evercons inside it.. Gets pretty toasty and the caps are still good! I guess this board may hold up with adequate airflow. I am not going to recap this board for 3 smaller value caps. I much rather see Osts because all of my current Biostar motherboards have OSTs and never an issue with adequate airflow.
          Last edited by Rob; 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Evercon = Sacon = GSC
            Currently their FZ series is causing lots of problems on video cards.
            Some of the FZs vent so hard they blow their internals out the hole.
            -
            I would keep an eye on those Evercons!
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
              Funny how Foxconn ranges from very cheap to good quality. I understand they build a lot of the Intel brand boards.
              Up until recently I thought they just made socket connectors. So that was a step up when I found out they're a motherboard manufacturer.
              I guess they're like ECS, building whatever quality they get paid to build.

I worry about quality control at a place like that though, where they're used to building cheap high volume stuff. Not sure how well people can shift gears to "we gotta build the good stuff today".

Comment

Foxconn is supposedly the actual builder behind most Intel boards. Thing is they don't build their own branded boards to the same standards as those they build for Intel.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I would have to say.. the board booted with no problems out of the Box with an Athlon 64 LE 2.6ghz. I slapped WinXP home in it and its flawless. From the quality standpoint, its definitely better than ECS. The solder points are not sloppy and the temperature and voltage readouts actually work LOL. Even has extensive OCing options in the bios.

Comment

Well the fact that Intel has their boards made there is a pretty good endorsement of the facility.

Where are Tyan and Supermicro boards made? The expensive server boards, not the cheaper ones.

Comment

Formerly Tyan was a subsidiary of Iwill (both TW) and they shared some mobo PCBs (but different BIOS and components on them, Tyan got better parts) but Iwill was bought by Flextronics (Singapore) and Tyan was acquired/merged with Mitac (TW).

I think Supermicro is all their own and a US based company.
                      They have branches in the Netherlands and TW too so I imagine the boards are built in TW.
                      I have a couple handy so I looked.....
                      They said "DESIGNED in the USA". {Gee, thanks for the help Supe...}

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 01-30-2009, 10:45 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

The few Supermicro's I've seen (late P3, early-mid P4) say made in china. I think they were made in USA until during the P2 days.

Hmm.. so if I understand right Supermicro owns their own production facility, and Tyan is made by their parent (whoever that is at the time). Gotcha.

So ECS might not be trusted to make expensive high end boards. Unless maybe they make server boards for Dell/HP/whatever.

Were Intel's always made by Foxconn, or is that just a more recent thing?

Comment

Working...
                        X