Gateway 2000 Anigma 486 board /w bad SMT caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway 2000 Anigma 486 board /w bad SMT caps

Bought this PC to recondition (I have an affinity for ancient junk like this.)

The PC keeps bootlooping in POST and constantly returns "Real Time Clock Failed" even with a fresh CMOS battery. Also was extremely touchy with memory.

Opened up the case, and was greeted with wonderful fishy smell and little lint-filled puddles surrounding several SMT lytics on the board.

SMT lytics from the early 1990's were horrible. Macintoshes from this era often succumb to blown SMT lytics (I should know, I owned several Macs and each and every one of them, save for a Quadra 605, had a number of blown SMT lytics at the end of their lives). Worst part is, it is extremely difficult to repair a board which uses SMT lytics. Especially for those of us who don't have expensive solder-stations.

Anyway I am probably just going to replace the board with a more or less standard baby AT board (the case, surprise surprise, actually is a standard AT affair), and when I have time/motivation I'll try my hand at repairing this freaky old board.
    The ever-amazing (and ever-affordable) KY, Chemi-con's best kept secret.

I'll probably be the only person going to SteamOS once it gets out of beta (ha ha.)
Working...
X