Sharp LCD TV Blows Fuses LC-19SB24U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharp LCD TV Blows Fuses LC-19SB24U

I've had this unit on the shelf for a year so I dusted it off to see what was wrong with it. It didn't turn on at all. I checked the alum caps they were good but I'm not sure about the two rectangular black caps.

One is .1uf 275v the other is .22uf 275v. The one black cap doesn't even register anything on my ESR meter and the other one reads 25 and is in the yellow zone.

The small black fuse is a replacement.. it blew when power was applied.

Would I be in the right area if I suspect those two black caps are bad?

The grey fuse tested ok.
    Attached Files
    www.bcrelectronics.ca

Re: Sharp LCD TV Blows Fuses LC-19SB24U

Originally posted by Solder Boy View Post
    It didn't turn on at all.

The grey fuse tested ok.
    I haven't worked on any LCD TVs, but people report that these types of caps rarely fail.

If the fuse blew, I would check the bridge rectifier (D7527) for shorts. Number the pins 1-4. Set your multimeter on 200 ohm (if manual). With power off and lcd unplugged, measure 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, and 3-4. Any reading below 30 ohms suggest a shorted bridge rectifier.

If there are no shorts, check capacitor C7528 to see if you get mains voltage x 1.4 DC V. That is 120 AC * 1.4 = 160 to 165V DC.

If that is present, there seems to be two diodes mounted on heatsinks. Using a ground screw for the black probe, put the red probe on the middle pin and measure the DC V.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Its not a cap, its the power FET. Look for one with a dead short across the legs. Replace it with a higher rated one. These are all failing with the same problem. Takes longer to open the case than to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Solder Boy View Post
        I've had this unit on the shelf for a year so I dusted it off to see what was wrong with it. It didn't turn on at all. I checked the alum caps they were good but I'm not sure about the two rectangular black caps.

One is .1uf 275v the other is .22uf 275v. The one black cap doesn't even register anything on my ESR meter and the other one reads 25 and is in the yellow zone.

The grey fuse tested ok.

It sounds to me like you have a direct short to ground on the primary (HOT) side. This should be easy to find. You can do everything with the power off. First, measure across the fuse with ohm meter. What resistance do you get there. If zero, then I'd desolder the rectifier, and then re-measure.
        The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread. I am currently having the same issue with my LC-19SB24U. I have tested both F7501 (good) and F7502 (bad). So I replaced F7502 with a 2.5A 250V slow-blow fuse. Every time I connect the Power Supply Board to the wall, the F7502 fuse immediately blows. This happens with the Power Supply Board isolated from all other components (not connected to the main board or backlights).

I then checked the two large diodes (D7520 and D7526) for continuity from anode to cathode and they looked good. No continuity in the reverse direction, as expected. These were both tested off of the board.

All caps appear to be in good shape, no bulging or discoloration. Following the advice in this thread, I looked into the FETs attached to the heatsinks. Following this guide (http://electronicsbeliever.com/how-t...-is-defective/), I found that the resistance was nearly zero across all pins of Q7523, which is part number (FQPF8N60C), and that this likely means that this transistor is bad. The other FET showed high resistance (order of kOhms) between all pins, so I ruled this one out.

I'm currently waiting for the new FET to arrive, but was wondering if anyone had any advice or things to check in the meantime?

I'm referencing the Troubleshooting diagram (attached) from the service manual (downloadable here: ).
          Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to mention, I have checked the D7527 Bridge Rectifier to make sure the resistance is appropriate from anode to cathode of each diode, and all 4 pins looked good. This was done with the rectifier off the board.

Comment

If the fet is shorted all around, then it is very likely components in the gate drive are also bad and need to be checked.
              Check D7522 (15volt zener) Q7524 (2sc2712)
              Last edited by R_J; 11-12-2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Is it a Hot to Neutral or Hot to Ground short? You can verify this by checking resistance on the 3 pin IEC connector. Ground is the lonely pin.
                Hot is on the left if the connector looks like this:
                |
                | |

Hot on right:
                | |
                |

EDIT: the lonely pin is on the middle
                Last edited by TechGeek; 11-12-2018, 09:58 PM.
                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

SOLVED!

It was indeed the Q7523 FET, which is part number (FQPF8N60C). I replaced it with a $10 replacement off eBay, and all is well. No more blowing the F7502 fuse and the monitor works as usual.

Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                  X