DAC-19M009 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DAC-19M009 Problems

This is my first attempt at fixing any kind of electroincs like this (I work with computers all day, but all we do is replace the whole thing.) I had to replace several caps on this unit and figured that was the cause of the problem.
    When I first plug it in the back lamps flash and then go off and dont come back on until i turn it off and back on again and they just flash again.

any help would be great

i posted pictures of the top and bottom and which caps i have already had to change because they were blown

(If you need better pictures I can take some, those were done from iphone)
    Attached Files

Re: DAC-19M009 Problems

Originally posted by bradl450
    If you need better pictures I can take some
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I am having the same lamps come on and then cut off after 2 seconds with my dac-19m009 power board. I replaced all the bad caps on this thing and it did work great for about 20 minutes. Then all of a sudden it cut off and keeps doing the exact same symptom of coming on and cutting right back off. I did have a 1000uF cap where a 2200uF cap belonged when it worked for 20 minutes. I have since corrected that and have all the caps correct, but it still powers on and then right back off. Just before it cuts off I hear a sizzle/whine around the area on the circuit board next to the two transformers and the two P605 8 pin chips. I really can't tell which is making the noise, and I don't know how to test the chips with a DMM so I ordered two of them and hopefully they will fix this. I will let you guys know what happens. I hope its not the transformers failing only when they get hot or something.

Any Ideas? Thanks guys

Comment

@bradl450 -

Replace the rest of the caps. Not the big one on its side though.

Check the 2 transformers (side by side) with an ohmmeter and verify that their readings are the same.

@capn_chris - Resolder the transformer connections to the board.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Ok, I just desoldered and measured the two transformers that feed the CCFL bulbs.

#1 transformer primary coil reads 1Ω
          #1 transformer secondary coil reads 360Ω

#2 transformer primary coil reads 1Ω
          #2 transformer secondary coil reads 370Ω

I am having a really hard time tracking down these transformers on the internet. I don't know what they should be reading. The markings on the side of them read
          M B 630 A
          they have a yellow band around them.

Do those readings sound like your typical inverter circuit transformers?

Comment

They match, they're most likely okay.

The pics from bradl450 looks to show a brown "glue" around the trafos. Does yours have that also? If so, it's conductive and needs to be cleaned off. You've replaced the caps and now have improved the functionality so perhaps the tubes have failed? The unit may now be putting the correct power out to the old tubes and they can't handle it, causing the OC protection to kick in.

Use a paper towel roll tube up to your ear as a stethoscope of sorts to narrow the sizzling sound. It's a high voltage leak or arcing that you're hearing. Also check the connections at the tubes.

Clear pics of -yours- would be helpful.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Ok,

That was a brilliant idea about the cardboard tube as a stethoscope. I tried that and I think I can pretty well say the crackling is coming out of those transformers that feed the ccfl tubes. I am posting pics of my board. Tomorrow when everything is open once again I am going to try and get the exact capacitors that I need. I have fixed lcds before using higher voltage caps, and it usually works. In this case I did accidentally put that 1000uF 35v where 2200uF 10v belonged. It did work well for 20 minutes, but like I said now its on for 1 minute then off quickly. not sure which component I burned or screwed up with that mistake. Here are some better pics though. Hopefully my p605s will get here in the next couple of days.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by capn_chris; 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Whoops! I think I see the problem.

What brand and series caps are you using? SMPS -require- low ESR caps. That big one you subbed and the little blue ones look like General Purpose (GP) caps such as you would find at Radio Shack.

Please report all brands and series (usually a 2 or 3 letter code near temp rating). Include originals info too.

Example: TK is series below
                Jamicon
                3300uF 10v

TK(M) 105°C

I doubt that the chips are bad.

Also, check that goop around the transformer outputs. Use ohmmeter on highest scale -in- the goop with probes as close together without touching each other. If it shows -any- deflection on meter, it needs to be removed, as it is, or has become, conductive. It can be replaced, and should be. Use good quality RTV silicone. GE, Dow, Permatex, etc.

Also, check this in the dark (let eyes adjust first) and see if you can see any corona effect when you hear the crackling. Sometimes you can see the light blue fuzzy effect.

Toast
                Last edited by Toasty; 11-29-2009, 06:22 PM.
                veritas odium parit

Comment

wow!
                  these mfr's should know all about the brown glue issue by now.
                  first thing to do is clean it off the hv side of the board.probably what you hear.and might be what took it out in the first place.

Comment

The originals were CapXon brand - I have seen these fail in multiple lcds

the originals were

CapXon 2200uF 10v KF 105°C P620 VENT
                    CapXon 220uF 25v KF 105°C P620 VENT

these were warped at the top and had obviously gone bad.

as of today I have replaced these with
                    nichicon 2200uF 16v VX(M) 85°C H9025 - all I could get my hands on
                    nichicon 220uF 25v VR(M) 85°C b0037 - all I could get my hands on

Also today my two p605 chips that sit right next to the transformers came in.
                    I have installed them and am very sad to say that the symptoms are the same today.

Unit powers on backlight and screen all work for maybe 2 minutes and the crackling sound from the two transformers increases and the unit shuts off.

My next try would be to replace these transformers, but I doubt I could ever find them. I have already looked pretty hard. I realize the °C are different between those two capacitors, but do you really think that could be the culprit?

I really appreciate all of you guys help. You guys are really smart and have helped me a lot.

One more thing, I did remove the glue and gunk from those little caps around the transformers, and no difference in symtoms.

Comment

Originally posted by capn_chris
                      The originals were CapXon brand - I have seen these fail in multiple lcds

the originals were

CapXon 2200uF 10v KF 105°C P620 VENT

these were warped at the top and had obviously gone bad.

as of today I have replaced these with
                      nichicon 2200uF 16v VX(M) 85°C H9025 - all I could get my hands on

Also today my two p605 chips that sit right next to the transformers came in.
                      I have installed them and am very sad to say that the symptoms are the same today.

Unit powers on backlight and screen all work for maybe 2 minutes and the crackling sound from the two transformers increases and the unit shuts off.

My next try would be to replace these transformers, but I doubt I could ever find them. I have already looked pretty hard. I realize the °C are different between those two capacitors, but do you really think that could be the culprit?

I really appreciate all of you guys help. You guys are really smart and have helped me a lot.

One more thing, I did remove the glue and gunk from those little caps around the transformers, and no difference in symtoms.
                      The temperature rating is not the problem, it's the ESR rating. As Toasty suspected, those are general purpose, not low ESR caps. That is one problem.

The second problem is the crackling sound from the transformers. Use the cardboard tube trick to identify which transformer is generating the noise. Next, you should be able to measure the resistance of the secondaries of both transformers without unsoldering them. Is the transformer that was crackling the one with a lower resistance? If so, I would say that it is the cause of the problem.

Also, try to see if any arcing is visible in a dark room. If it appears to be occurring in the tan glue, remove it.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Where have I seen these suggestions before...

@kc8adu - oddly, they used the white everywhere else on here...

@capn_chris - Wrong caps. (period) - Did you do the look in the dark and resistance measurements?

Recommend Panasonic FM or FC, UCC KZE, Nichicon PW.
                        Last edited by Toasty; 11-30-2009, 06:26 PM.
                        veritas odium parit

Comment

@capn_chris - Read this thread. Primarily the Posts from #9 to the end.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8253

Toast
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

@Toasty - I Read that thread, and I am a believer, but this inverter is just too whacked out with all the trying and soldering and screwing with it I have done. I am done with it and I think I have hosed it for good and have to buy a new one.

Anyone know where to buy a used/new/working DAC-19M009 Delta Electronics Inc. Inverter? I am ready to pay.

Comment

Bah! Nonsense.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Well I say this with tears welling up in my eyes. I ordered a new DAC-19M009 from discount-merchant.com They sent the wrong part initially so it has taken about two weeks to finally get the right part. I got it today installed it, and got great video for about 30 minutes and now I am back in the same boat of it cutting off after 1 minute. I have no idea what would cause this. I am letting it cool down now to see if there is any kind of thermal cut off situation, but other than that I have no ideas for this.

Comment

Okay another update took it apart again, and reseated the thin ribbon cables going to the lcd from the video board. All seems to be going well for now. looking good.

Comment

Okay, Let this be a lesson to all. Let my follies not be in vein here. I already told about initially installing the wrong uF Capacitor and the unit working for like 20 minutes then going off immediately and continually powering off after 1 minute of use. Well what happened was I over drove one of the ccfl pairs and burned the cathodes on it. It would still come on, but only for one minute, and then for some damned reason it worked for like 30 minutes go figure, but it is burned up and very blackened at the ends, and it is the cause of the power up completely for one minute then shut off symptom. So hopefully this thread helps some poor soul like me. Trying to make a LCD I paid 25$ for work, and now I have 55$ into it for the power board too. Now I am about to have to buy a CCFL tube from who knows where probably for another 25$. So I hope this helps someone else. Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

You can't buy just one tube. You have to at least buy the pair. If the power supply senses a current mismatch, it'll shut down.

Sounds like you need some Holiday Cheer!

Try mixing!! Works for me!

Toast
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

With a bit of luck your original board might work in it now, if it does you could put one up for sale

Comment

Working...
                                        X