Hans HG281D yellowed screen on top/center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hans HG281D yellowed screen on top/center

Hello, Im having some problems with an HG281D monitor related to a yellowish tint at the center of the screen more to the top (please see attached photos). Second photo has some noise picked up by camera but it is not visible to the eye (not sure if the patterns give any clues).

The monitor had previously been dead (couple seconds then blanking out) and I recapped the power and logic boards except for the 12 small caps on logic board. After replacing the 5 100uf caps on the logic board the monitor came back to life but now has a yellowish tint in the center of the screen and more to the top. Not sure if I messed anything up with the recap job or this is a different problem.

Im starting to suspect something with the backlights, but Im not sure I can rule out the logic board or power supply?

I checked the power supply into the inverter (with the monitor on and displaying) and the voltage seems constant ~20v for the five sets of pins. Actually there are 5 vdd and 5 gnd and it seems a little odd that if I measure from the first gnd to any of the power pins I see 18v, but using any of the other grounds the voltages to the other vdd pins are the 20v.

Would appreciate any help to help narrow down if the issue is likely related to backlighting and if so how to proceed in debugging.

There are seven sets of white/pink wires that go to the backlights. This seems a little strange as it is an odd number, guessing it is a wide monitor so the top/bottom are probably broken up into smaller backlights. If there were two on top, two on bottom, one left, one right, this leaves one extra?

In terms of narrowing to tube or inverter issue not sure if inverter failure is a binary thing i.e. usually works or does not work, or could it also cause a dimmer channel.

Some ideas to try?

There are four 270uf 35v caps on the inverter that I could try recapping. Is this likely caps could cause this problem and any way to check?

Might be able to make some small extension wires and swap some of the white/pink wire sets/channels to see if the yellowing pattern changes?

Appreciate any help.

Kuma
    Attached Files

Re: Hans HG281D yellowed screen on top/center

the pink tint towards the sides is probably tubes aging.

has it got a service menu that tells you how many hours it's been run?

Comment

Could not find any service menu (unless there is some hidden way to access it).

I guess if it is the tubes it may be expensive to get parts unless I can find some cheap tubes online somewhere. Anybody know what size tubes are in these monitors?

I had seen some LED upgrade replacements online where you swap in a controller board and LED strips in place of inverter but the ones I had seen were expensive ~90$ Anybody have experience with these upgrades and know of a reliable source?

Im wondering if there is any way to rule out the logic/power boards before making further investment.

Comment

Thought I should mention that the pinkish tint might be an artifact of the camera, the key issue I was seeing when viewing with the eyes is the yellowish tint at the top/right center.

Comment

hw many tubes does it use,
          is it backlit or edgelit?

btw - led kits are more like $10

Comment

I had a problem with mine, with the monitor flicking on and off, but unfortunately when I was fixing it the flat cable going directly into the backlight (from the logic board into the screen)? and it's been solid red ever since. I stopped replacing Caps but I would love to fix it if possible. Is it like this, or is it just more of a tint to the picture in certain sections?

Comment

Originally posted by r3z0nate View Post
              is it just more of a tint to the picture in certain sections?
              Well you are in the best position to judge the OP has posted pictures of his panel showing exactly what the problem is with his.

@kumasan
              As suggested I would agree that the pink at the edges is due to ageing bulbs.
              The yellow - has the monitor been used in a smoky atmosphere (nicotine staining?)
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Working...
              X