Acer S231Hl long to start up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer S231Hl long to start up.

First, I apologize for including a picture of the same model board that is not my own. I have work to do and will take it apart later.

I have been having trouble with my board the past couple of weeks. When plugged in, the power blinks blue. It occasionally becomes solid and stays on after a while (while I use my other monitor). Occasionally it works upon startup, but mostly, it remains a black screen and keeps attempting to turn on (power light blinking).

I found a similar thread with my problem though with a different board: Similar Problem Thread in which the OP replaces the Capacitors instructed and his problem is solved.

I replaced the two capacitors on the right board (470uF/10V and 47uF/25V), and though I thought it worked immediately, the problem persisted when I turned the monitor on the next day. I have an external power adapter that read the correct voltages. Should I change the two capacitors on the left board as well?

I should also note that sometimes when I restart my computer, sometimes this "fixes" the monitor and I am able to use it. So I purposely reboot my computer a couple times to use my monitor, though this doesn't always work .
    Attached Files

Re: Acer S231Hl long to start up.

Not sure if I mentioned this is an LED monitor.

Comment

First thing you need to do is check the caps in the power supply
      with ESR meter if you have one

If you do not have an ESR meter I would change all caps that are less 100uf

Second to help you more you need to take some photos of the power board front and back

I hope this helps
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-07-2015, 08:42 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
        all caps that are less 100uf
        I believe Sam wanted to say at least 100uf

And definitely post some good pics
        stay classy

Comment

Sorry it took so long!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofenix View Post
            I have an external power adapter that read the correct voltages.
            It does, but you should measure it under load.
            Turn the monitor on, and then measure voltages inside on the connectors.

Are you positive the monitor doesn't start? Maybe you can see image on it with a flashlight?

Also, you can note Sam saying caps in the power supply.
            +1 to that.
            Last edited by Joe Black; 10-25-2015, 07:49 AM.
            stay classy

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
              It does, but you should measure it under load.
              Turn the monitor on, and then measure voltages inside on the connectors.

Are you positive the monitor doesn't start? Maybe you can see image on it with a flashlight?

Also, you can note Sam saying caps in the power supply.
              +1 to that.
              It measures 19.05 V inside on the connectors. The external power supply does state it steps down to 19V on it, so I assumed it was working correctly. I had an extra 19V adapter nearby though, and tested as well. After a few minutes, both "work". The time that it takes for the monitor to turn on varies.

As to the monitor not starting. I am seeing lines on the screen when using a flashlight, that flicker out while it powercycles.

I've included a youtube video.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muw7cfirvRw

This begins as soon as I plugged it in. I'm not sure if changing the caps worked, but I've waited much longer in the past for this to happen. It is not hooked up to the computer, but if it were, it would display an image.

Not sure if this information will help, but if it starts to show the constant blue or yellow light, if I unplug and replug the power, it doesn't take long to start working again. If I unplug the adapter for a while, it takes longer to start.

At this point, the monitor is usable, but still not fixed.

Comment

Ugh this taking long to start up thing is a real pain.
                Other symptoms include:
                If I turn on the computer for a couple of minutes, then turn it off, the "ACER" logo displays on the screen as it powercycles 10-12 times. This is followed by the standby mode (yellow light) and "Cable Not Connected" on screen. This displays for about a minute then disappears. Turning on the computer just repeats the powercycling process (without ACER logo).

Shining a bright light during the powercycling reveals greenish horizontal bars. that fade and appear again in different areas during each powercycle.

What next?

EDIT: After repeatedly removing and connecting the DVI cable, I'm using the monitor. I don't understand how it could be broken and SOMETIMES work, even after I changed the caps. Is it the inverter? Is a part broken and the monitor needs time to "catch up?" or make up for it?
                Last edited by Xenofenix; 11-16-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I noticed I actually DIDN'T replace only 1 capacitor on the inverter board? When I plug it in without this board connected, it still runs though, so I don't THINK it's a problem, but why not. Also when I don't plug the top cord in, the backlight works and I don't get the blinking, but of course, no video. Idk. I may toss it after this. I added more photos.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Xenofenix; 11-22-2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Ok On your youtube video it took 50 seconds to the acer logo. Is that a long time for this monitor?
                    You do not have a working PC connected, some monitors do not function well without a source signal.
                    There is NO inverter board those are only in ccfl lit monitors One board is the Main Board and the other is the driver for the LEds.
                    The caps (ALL) should be replaced with Good quality caps Panasonic FM or rubycon, nichicon equivalents with the same voltage and uf values. There are a lot of fakes about so you need to buy from a well known trusted source - digikey? badcaps.net?

Is the 19v power supply high enough wattage? it should say on it and compare with the original.

Check its not a problem with the video card in the pc can you use another monitor to check?
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                      Ok On your youtube video it took 50 seconds to the acer logo. Is that a long time for this monitor?
                      You do not have a working PC connected, some monitors do not function well without a source signal.
                      There is NO inverter board those are only in ccfl lit monitors One board is the Main Board and the other is the driver for the LEds.
                      The caps (ALL) should be replaced with Good quality caps Panasonic FM or rubycon, nichicon equivalents with the same voltage and uf values. There are a lot of fakes about so you need to buy from a well known trusted source - digikey? badcaps.net?

Is the 19v power supply high enough wattage? it should say on it and compare with the original.

Check its not a problem with the video card in the pc can you use another monitor to check?
                      Occasionally it never powers to the acer logo when plugged. Not only is 50 seconds long, but it was just one instance where it was turning on in under 1 minute. I have left the monitor plugged for an entire day and it would not turn on.

I have changed the caps to good quality caps now, with same voltage and uF values from Nichicon (purchased from digikey).

It seems when I take a blow dyer to heat the main board, the monitor powers. It powered with the bad caps, so I replaced with proper digikey caps, and it still requires the blow dryer heat to power up. What do I do next?

Comment

Uploading clearer pictures of trouble board.
                        As you can tell, I had a bit of trouble with C716 capacitor and dropped a bit on t he board. When I heat the board up, it still works, so I doubt I did any real damage.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Xenofenix; 12-13-2015, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Cross-linking thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24817

The board was used in this monitor linked by bundm. Will this help me? Also thank you everyone, I'm really learning a lot about circuitry.

Comment

Working...
                          X