Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2407WFPb Monitor - Bad Cap

Hey All,

I have a problem on my hands! I have a very beautiful (and also very dead) 24 inch monitor that has a bad capacitor on the power supply. However, thats not really the problem. The problem is that the capacitor that died is the big kahuna -- 450V 120uf Elite branded capacitor -- and I can't find a replacement for it anywhere.

I'm trying to find a replacement capacitor so that I can attempt to fix this monitor. I've done a lot of reading on the matter but I simply don't know enough to make a decision on which capacitor to buy and where to buy it. I need your help, this is beyond my area of expertise.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Subscribed to the thread...

Re: Dell 2407WFPb Monitor - Bad Cap

Originally posted by thewzard View Post
    The problem is that the capacitor that died is the big kahuna -- 450V 120uf Elite branded capacitor -- and I can't find a replacement for it anywhere.
    Elite doesn't have the greatest reputation here so it is good that you cannot find that brand.

If you are in the USA, digikey has a good selection.

Goto digikey.com. Check the "in stock" box at the search engine.

Type in "450v 120uf 105" in the search field. 105 signifies 105C capacitor.

Narrow down the choice between Panasonic or Nichicon (either is fine but Panasonic is a favourite for many here). Look at the other specifications like diameter and height to find the cap that fits your board. Shipping from digikey using USPS First Class Mail should be around $2.75 USD.

PS. The best video on soldering is by CuriousInventor at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

Badcaps.net also has an excellent written (with photos) tutorial on soldering at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I forgot to mention that depending on the age of the monitor and quantity/quality of the rest of the caps, most here may suggest replacing ALL the electrolytic caps with name brand low ESR caps made by Rubycon, Panasonic, Nichicon, and United Chemi-con.

Capacitors die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hey retiredcap,

Thanks for the information! I have actually tried digikey.com but my measurement puts my cap's diameter at ~17mm and I can't find anything underneath 20mm and the space around that capacitor is quite crowded if you know what I mean. I'm not saying it won't work. A 20mm cap might fit but its a tight space is all I'm saying.

On the bright side, the height doesnt seem to be a problem...

Comment

Originally posted by thewzard View Post
          my measurement puts my cap's diameter at ~17mm

On the bright side, the height doesnt seem to be a problem...
          Maybe this one?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-1470-ND

It is 18mm x 35.5mm (diameter x height). Now it is a 400V DC cap versus 450V DC.

Most of the newer 20" or higher lcds have two supplies and probably use PFC. With PFC, the voltage across the main cap can be high as 380V DC. I haven't personally seen anyone report anything over 400V DC.

So the 400V DC cap could work, but there is less margin for error.

I'll check some other sites.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

We normally ask new people to post clear focused pictures (please do - see my sig file below for instructions), but if your board looks like this one (another Dell 2407 thread)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1305906535

only the right side is "crowded". You can install the cap "leaning" to the left side and there is no problem. So you can get the 20mm diameter or larger with the "proper" 450V rating.
            Last edited by retiredcaps; 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM.
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

That is almost exactly what my board looks like.

Here is a photo of my board:

Comment

You didn't mention how you determined that that particular cap has failed.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

What is the height of the heatsinks? (mm)
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Toasty: The height of the tallest heatsink is 20mm. The height of the bad cap is 45mm.

smason: See pic below.

EDIT: Misunderstood Toasty's question.
                    Last edited by thewzard; 06-04-2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

The white block of foam on the transformer, is it higher than the heatsinks?

-AND-

Is the metal cover resting on that foam and at the same level over the area where that cap is.

If yes - you can fit a 22mm diameter cap

If no - you can fit a 20mm diameter cap
                      veritas odium parit

Comment

Yes the white block of foam is higher than the heatsinks.

So far I have narrowed the selection down to these three capacitors:

20mm Nichicon
                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...2W121MESY45-ND

22mm Panasonic
                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11670-ND

and

22mm Panasonic
                        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10157-ND

I'm thinking of buying one of the Panasonic capacitors and the Nichicon capacitor as a backup just in case. I'm not sure which of the two Panasonics to get. Any recommendations?

Comment

Elite's PW series shows this cap as 740mA of ripple. Any cap you choose should meet or exceed that spec.

Nichicon is out of stock.

2nd Panasonic is below ripple spec.

The winner is the 1st Panasonic at 1.02A ripple (1020mA)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11670-ND

Cut the leads off the old cap in place as close to the body as you can get. Remove it and clean off the caulk from the board. Mount the new one with some silicone caulk and a quick solder and you're done.

Toast
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Unusual to see the large cap fail like that. On the other hand, if the 9 smaller caps on the power board are also the Elite brand, then you might want to replace them. Also, replace the 3 caps the the TDK inverter board, since the caps they use are of poor quality. I know it sounds like a lot, but since you already have the monitor open.....

Comment

Put the Elite PW series on the "Always Replace" list.
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

Whoa...okay. This is my first time at this so I'm going to need some help understanding some of the jargon. I googled TDK inverter board and a ton of stuff come up but nothing that looked like anything on the circuit I'm working on.

jetadm123: What is the TDK inverter board and how do I find it?

toasty: I would never have thought about looking at the ripple spec. So in short, now I know that when replacing a capacitor I need to look at the volts, uf rating, temperature, diameter, height, and the ripple specs. Are there any other specs I should be looking at when replacing a capacitor? Also, how did you know where to look for the ripple spec of the old cap? There are so many different ones.

Finally, when removing the caulk from the board, do I run the risk that I will damage the board? How would you recommend I go about that?

In summary:
                                1) Order P11670-ND - check
                                2) Replace other elite capacitors -- I'll try to find the correct specs first.
                                3) Replace the three caps on the TDK inverter board -- waiting on word from jetadm123.

Thanks for all of the help guys, I don't think I would have been able to do it correctly otherwise.

Comment

I think I found the TDK inverter board. Its the only board with three caps on it that says TDK LOL.

Anyway those are Taicon caps. Replace those as well?

Comment

>>Also, how did you know where to look for the ripple spec of the old cap?<<
                                    Datasheets.

Start here: http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/

Which directs you to here: http://chinsan.co.th/index.asp

Which will get you to this:

>>Finally, when removing the caulk from the board, do I run the risk that I will damage the board? How would you recommend I go about that?<<

Personally, I use a chainsaw...

Any plastic tool will work fine. Most of it you can peel by hand.
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

I'm having trouble on Elite's site. Maybe its my browser, I'm using IE9 and/or Mozilla Firefox 4. However, I was able to snag up a little bit of information.

These are the different series that they carry:
                                      SM . PS . PF . PW . LM . LS. LF . LL . EM . ES . EL .EB . ED . EJ . EG . SS . SS-H . SB . SB-H . ND. ND-H . BP . LB . LB-H

How did you know to look for the PW series?

Comment

Says so on the side of the cap pics posted....
                                        veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                        X