Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delippo charger voltage question

Hello,

I bought this charger from eBay, the price was decent, not the cheapest one and I thought I bought a good quality charger for my tablet and maybe, occasionally for the phone charging also.

The specs says:
    Input 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 0.6A
    Output: 5V 2A

Safe voltage output to charge phone, right? At least, that what I thought. Well, I tried that and trusting I bought quality charger -what could go wrong- I plugged in my phone and it instantly froze with black screen. I restarted it by pressing power button for 10 seconds and it turned on. What a relief! That what I thought until I plugged in my regular charger to the phone charging port. It was dead, no charging anymore. Long story short, after sending it to repair service, they didn't have the detail for the specific charging circuit, I trashed it and got new phone.

The story continues. I then tried the Delippo charger with my old colorfly g708 tablet that I was not afraid to loose in case something goes wrong (btw, exelent tablet with good specs, loved it, used many years until I broke screen 3rd time and the replacement touch screen was dead and then I broke my usb otg port and finnaly gave up). When I plugged my tablet to the charger, the screen went crazy with erratic movements and freezes but the tablet was fine after unpuging and the charging port was not damaged thankfully.

I then emailed the seller and they send me replacement. After I received it, I tested it again on the tablet. Same erratic movements and freezing screen. When I told the official Delippo seller that I damaged my phone, he insisted, that the charger was ment for tablet and not phone, when I replied that the specs rated it 5V 2A charger and it should be fine, he had nothing to say, if I recall, he offered to send chargers back or something, it was some time ago so I don't recall exactly what the conversation was. Sure enough they didn't compensate my 200 plus euro worth phone.

So here goes my question to you, my dear badcap members:
    is there something wrong with both chargers or my understanding that all micro usb chargers within the same specs should be the same? Isn't 5.75V and 5.65V out of the 5V tolerance levels?

Here are the pictures and voltage measurement I took (1st charger 5.75V, 2nd charger 5.65V or so). On circuit board to the solder points the voltage did not measure at all for some reason but only at the micro usb connector end. Is that normal? What can you tell looking at the pictures, does it look like normal quality charger and what could be wrong with it?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tdr; 06-22-2020, 06:16 AM.

Re: Delippo charger voltage question

Originally posted by tdr View Post
    Hello,

I bought this charger from eBay, the price was decent, not the cheapest one and I thought I bought a good quality charger for my tablet and maybe, occasionally for the phone charging also.

The specs says:
    Input 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 0.6A
    Output: 5V 2A

Safe voltage output to charge phone, right? At least, that what I thought. Well, I tried that and trusting I bought quality charger -what could go wrong- I plugged in my phone and it instantly froze with black screen. I restarted it by pressing power button for 10 seconds and it turned on. What a relief! That what I thought until I plugged in my regular charger to the phone charging port. It was dead, no charging anymore. Long story short, after sending it to repair service, they didn't have the detail for the specific charging circuit, I trashed it and got new phone.

The story continues. I then tried the Delippo charger with my old colorfly g708 tablet that I was not afraid to loose in case something goes wrong (btw, exelent tablet with good specs, loved it, used many years until I broke screen 3rd time and the replacement touch screen was dead and then I broke my usb otg port and finnaly gave up). When I plugged my tablet to the charger, the screen went crazy with erratic movements and freezes but the tablet was fine after unpuging and the charging port was not damaged thankfully.

I then emailed the seller and they send me replacement. After I received it, I tested it again on the tablet. Same erratic movements and freezing screen. When I told the official Delippo seller that I damaged my phone, he insisted, that the charger was ment for tablet and not phone, when I replied that the specs rated it 5V 2A charger and it should be fine, he had nothing to say, if I recall, he offered to send chargers back or something, it was some time ago so I don't recall exactly what the conversation was. Sure enough they didn't compensate my 200 plus euro worth phone.

So here goes my question to you, my dear badcap members:
    is there something wrong with both chargers or my understanding that all micro usb chargers within the same specs should be the same? Isn't 5.75V and 5.65V out of the 5V tolerance levels?

Here are the pictures and voltage measurement I took (1st charger 5.75V, 2nd charger 5.65V or so). On circuit board to the solder points the voltage did not measure at all for some reason but only at the micro usb connector end. Is that normal? What can you tell looking at the pictures, does it look like normal quality charger and what could be wrong with it?
    That voltage of 5.75 amp is high for a 10 foot cord the most voltage at the charger is at 5.25 volts

with a 3 foot cord the voltage should not be higher 5.1 volts and this on the high end 4.90 to 5.00 is more like it

One word of advice is to buy your self a USB voltage and current meter

There are two versions of this one displays voltage and then current
    The other version has both the voltage and current displayed at the same time this my favorite one to use ( Do not trust website vendors for USB switching power supply the specifications are sometimes a lot better than they are
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-22-2020, 10:12 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The cord is about 4.9ft. (150cm) long 22AWG, the 5.75V voltage was measured at the farthest end (I cut the micro usb connector because I will not use it for charging purposes anymore), it didn't measure at all at the adapter circuit side, maybe because of no load but whatever.

I have something like this at home https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3293...65585f0f7j7A02 and if I recall corectly it measured similar voltage not so sure about current draw, I think I also needed to do some wiring because the lack of micro usb port on the usb meter...

My main concern is why it fried phone charging circuit and didn't work as tablet charger? Is it because 1) both chargers, including replacement, were defective (isn't it bit weird that both are the same?) or 2) there is something out there that I don't understand quite yet about chargers? The specs are 5V and 2A rated, shouldn't it be enough for at least *safe* (if not recommended) use in all 5V usb charging compatible devices, at least so that no damage is done?
      Last edited by tdr; 06-22-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

That adaptor looks like it has very poor regulation and filtering for the output. I would have thought it would have a 5 volt regulator ic for the output at least. I would not use it anything like a phone or tablet.

Comment

TDR

The one you posted the website link is the type that I was talking about and the one I prefer to use

All you need to use with this device is the phone charging cable is all you need

These switching power supply can be modified for charging phones and tablets this is the 8 amp version but they also made a 5 amp version the 5 amp version is one you want to use

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ault-5V-8A-...53.m1438.l2649

One thing that is nice about these switching power supply is that the output voltage can be fine tuned from about 4.80 to 5.5 volts or maybe a little higher than this but most of the time I set it for 5.25 volts and works very well

One note if get one of these power supply is to recap before you use it
          It has non brand name capacitors in it
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-22-2020, 06:59 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

What Voltage do you get when loaded it with 2A load?
            Monitor the Voltage when the load is connected and disconnected to see how high it jumps up to and go down too.
            It may have poor regulation.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
              What Voltage do you get when loaded it with 2A load?
              Monitor the Voltage when the load is connected and disconnected to see how high it jumps up to and go down too.
              It may have poor regulation.

The switching power supply that mentioned earlier with a 2 amp it drops down to about 5.00 or so when using a 10 foot cord

With a 3 foot cord it does not drop as much about 5.19 volts or so
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I did not see OP mention anything about testing with 2A full load result.
                OP" "The cord is about 4.9ft. (150cm) long 22AWG, the 5.75V voltage was measured at the farthest end (I cut the micro usb connector because I will not use it for charging purposes anymore), it didn't measure at all at the adapter circuit side, maybe because of no load but whatever."
                Last edited by budm; 06-23-2020, 01:26 PM.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I was referring to the USB switching power supply that I use I was giving this as example
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                  X