What to do about missing pad on lead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about missing pad on lead?

This came off while desoldering, my mistake How can I fix this?? I tried putting it back on and soldering but it was too damaged
    Attached Files

Re: What to do about missing pad on lead?

What is the component - doesnt look like the pad was connected - may just be a blank pin- did you take any pictures before you started.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      What is the component - doesnt look like the pad was connected - may just be a blank pin- did you take any pictures before you started.
      It looked just like the other ones, it's part of a transformer

Comment

Zoom out slightly so we can see where the trace is going. Also show the topside so we have an idea.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What board is this?
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I cant see a trace from where the pad was - that is why I thought it was just a blank pad - unless there is a trace on the otherside or it is a multilevel board.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

If this is a 2 layer board the trace will be on the other side just solder the component from the top and you'll be fine.

If it's a multilayer board and there is no trace on the top you're out of luck.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I'd be willing to guess that this is OK, and this pin doesn't go anywhere on the other side (if this was a through-plated via hole) ... that is, if this is even more than single sided as most PSUs are 1-layer... Is there a wire connected on the other side of the board on that hole?

You might lose a bit of durability as even if it wasn't connected to anything, it does hold the part on the board... but you probably could have told that the others do much more than enough to make sure the transformer doesn't fall off

Comment

It's a PowerMan PSU, here are the pics! Yeah it doesn't look like it goes anywhere but I want to make sure!!! Looking at the second picture it is the 3rd pin from the left
                  Attached Files

Comment

How you doing with the 740N

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      It's a PowerMan PSU, here are the pics! Yeah it doesn't look like it goes anywhere but I want to make sure!!! Looking at the second picture it is the 3rd pin from the left
                      Don't worry it's a 'Not connected pad'.

Single layer board, with no trace leading to the pad hence it serves no purpose.

Comment

More than likely there because the winding core had it already or for ease of alignment during manufacture.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Awesome....Thanks for the replies I'll test it on Monday!

Comment

Hmmm, the power supply didn't turn on at all

Comment

Yes, well you will need to tell us what you were doing to it and why.
                              Bigger pictures of the whole thing not just parts. What was it connected to?

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                Yes, well you will need to tell us what you were doing to it and why.
                                Bigger pictures of the whole thing not just parts. What was it connected to?
                                I replaced the 28 size transformer with a 35, and I just did the paperclip trick and plugged in 4 hard drives to give it some load but it wouldn't power on. Hooked it up to a computer and still wouldn't power up

Comment

Was it working before you upgraded the transformer?

Comment

maybe the transformer is wired differently ?

Comment

Yeah it was working, and it's getting 5VSB but that's it

Comment

Hmm...transformer "upgrades" are tricky, most of the time you can't swap transformers from one to another unless you carefully check the pinouts of the transformers... where did the new transformer come from? Was it intended for this particular PSU?

Comment

Working...
                                        X