Sony Phat PlayStation PS2 power supply repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Phat PlayStation PS2 power supply repair

Just had a Sony PlayStation PS2 in with a symptom of not powering up. The problem was not the ribbon cable this time, it was the internal power supply.
    Delta ADP-75EP. Plugged it in, no 12V coming out. Nothing physically wrong, fuse, bridge rectifier, transistors and diodes checked all OK. Capacitor C3 (35V 33uF) checked good with the DMM, but not with the ESR meter. Replaced C3 with a 50V 100uf Nichicon PW series. Since IC2 (the white optocoupler P421f) was on the same line than the C3 I just replaced, I took it out, measured it and she was open all around. So I replaced IC2 with an NEC 2561 optocoupler that I stole out of a junked ATX power supply. Verdict: I've got a working PS2!

That is another example of not trusting the CAP setting on the DMM even if you paid 500$ for it. Always check caps with a good ESR meter.
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 01-01-2015, 08:16 AM.

Re: Sony Phat PlayStation PS2 power supply repair

Thank you sir for posting this info, you have taught me a valuable lesson regarding esr meters and my lack of one.

I had found the bad opto and replaced it with the same part infact but no joy until I found this post, swapped in a 47uf 50v cap and the psu works perfectly again.

Comment

glad this worked for you too! BTW, this PlayStation is still going strong to date. I guess it has been a few years since I fixed this thing, but I remember that the cap and the opto where bad...

Comment

Thank you for the info. I replaced C3 with a 33uF 65V electrolytic from my junk bin. The PS2 is alive again. This cap is quite a bit larger in size than the original. I didn't test the isolator, but it appears to be working OK.

I managed to mangle the FPC connector to the fron panel with the memory cards and controller connections. I was lucky that some electrical tape appears to have secured the ribbon cable enough to make it work.

Comment

great! another one saved from the bin!

Comment

I don't currently have any fat PS2 models myself, but I've recently read about few cap failures on these Ltec-equipped Delta power boards, and as in OPs case, it seems to be C3 that usually fails. To add a bit more detail about specific models, the ADP-75EP seems to have been used in 120V SCPH-3900x consoles, and there was also an ADP-75JP that was at least used in 230V SCPH-5000x machines - same story with that. I'm currently unsure if 230V 3900x and 120V 5000x units are affected too.

The primary cap on said Delta power boards is Japanese, the rest consists of 7 Ltec caps that don't look glued to the board, so I'd say just replacing them all before they take any other components with them would be a good idea. Perhaps quite a few consoles were already junked due to Delta skimping a few cents on caps back in the day - shame that Sony too used that supplier...

Earlier models seem to have used power boards with mainly Nichicon caps from other suppliers. Incidentally I'm wondering about the slim model power bricks as I've yet to find a pic of the insides of one... I only know about the recall for August-December 2004 made ones.

Comment

pretty irelevent - even the best caps dont last forever.

whenever i get a switching psu that wont run and is not visibly blown, i change all the small caps FIRST.
              and re-test.

often it works - comparing the cost of a few small caps to the time it would take to pull and test them, it is better to just replace them first.

Comment

Not irrelevant at all - nobody's claiming that good caps last "forever", but cap brand has a good chance of making the difference of a device failing now (specifically due to that C3 here) or still having a good decade or two of service life left in it. And most people aren't about fixing stuff so those affected models are likely to be junked, making them rarer in the future.

It's actually even less irrelevant with those screw-less power bricks, which are a pain in the ass to open, so good caps are even more important here...
                Last edited by Xan03; 02-19-2021, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I've picked up a cheap SCPH-39004 (incidentally claimed by some sources to be one of the most reliable models in terms of laser, for whatever that's worth), and I can see from looking through the front vent and fan grill that at least this particular unit does not have the Delta PSU with Ltec caps. The little sleeveless caps are the giveaway, so in case anyone wants to check their unit without opening it up I'll attach a pic I have found on the internet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

nichicon HD's - that's the most common caps in ps2's

Comment

I just found this and wanted to say thank you. I spent an hour checking voltages and trying to find anything that had failed and never would have thought to check the C3 cap. It looked fine, but when I pulled it out of the board it had clearly started to spill its guts. I did the same thing as FatBuck and had a 33uf 65V cap kicking around in a parts bin that I pulled from lord knows what and threw it in. Now I've just got to sort out the busted av output on the mainboard and I'll have another working Phat PS2.

Comment

You're welcome! It's been over 6 years since I fixed mine and it is still working like a champ! Another one saved from the bin!

Comment

I have also a problem with my old ps2. The console has been sitting in the drawer for many years. I plugged in the console there is a signal out on the TV but the optical drive(OD) was not reading the disk. I dissembled the console, clean OD, check the lens, and calibrate but nothing help me then I tried changing the ohm value with the screws located under the lens. The final result I broke the console The fan spins there is power on it but I have only green light there is no blue light and there is no signal on TV. When I looked at the motherboard, I couldn't find any burn marks.

Do you think I blew some capacitor or fuse? @capleaker

Comment

I think you need a replacement optical drive to start with. If it would have been the fuse, the opto or the cap in the PSU, the unit wouldn't be able to turn on.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                              I think you need a replacement optical drive to start with. If it would have been the fuse, the opto or the cap in the PSU, the unit wouldn't be able to turn on.
                              I purchased used ps2 model 39xxx with same price as Optical drive. I cant replace OD with 30xxx (which is broken) because 30xxx has different OD plug than model 39xxx. I think there is no way to power on ps2 without optical drive.

Comment

ps2 will power up without the laser.
                                check the fuses on the board - there is atleast 7 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by kity92 View Post
                                  I have also a problem with my old ps2. The console has been sitting in the drawer for many years. I plugged in the console there is a signal out on the TV but the optical drive(OD) was not reading the disk. I dissembled the console, clean OD, check the lens, and calibrate but nothing help me then I tried changing the ohm value with the screws located under the lens. The final result I broke the console The fan spins there is power on it but I have only green light there is no blue light and there is no signal on TV. When I looked at the motherboard, I couldn't find any burn marks.

Do you think I blew some capacitor or fuse? @capleaker
                                  I would definitely check the fuses in the unit. I have one now that has a strange issue that I posted in another thread but while I was trying to diagnose it by playing around with swapping lasers, I blew the laser controller IC and the 2amp fuse that is next to it. I could tell it was dead because the larger SMD cap near the edge of the board was shorted to ground and it is right next to the laser/drive control IC (in my case it was a BA5815FM). Removed the IC and the short went away. Replaced it and the 2amp fuse and the unit powered up again. Before the replacement parts, the power button would turn green when you hit it but the unit wouldn't really power on. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Working...
                                  X