Spectra S1+ Breast pump - No suction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectra S1+ Breast pump - No suction

Trying to fix this for someone. They said water got into to it and it worked for a day then suddenly no more suction from the pump.

There isn’t any visible liquid/corrosion on the circuit board. Display works and responds to control settings, but the suction pump never turns on. The yellow connector goes to the pump

Have no idea about how this is supposed to work so looking for any advice on where to start/what to look for.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by caphair; 09-12-2020, 10:14 AM.

Re: Spectra S1+ Breast pump - No suction

wow - talk about scam.
    99% of the circuitry looks like it's just for a graphic display.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      wow - talk about scam.
      99% of the circuitry looks like it's just for a graphic display.
      Lol has a massage feature and controls for suction. Probably more not too sure.

What should I investigate for the pump?

Comment

Does the pump use a simple DC motor? (Looks like it, as it's only a 2-wire connector?) If so, does it turn when you power it with an external power source. Surely the first step would be to make sure the pump motor is OK... and if yes, then move on to the circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          Does the pump use a simple DC motor? (Looks like it, as it's only a 2-wire connector?) If so, does it turn when you power it with an external power source. Surely the first step would be to make sure the pump motor is OK... and if yes, then move on to the circuits.
          Should I use a dc source and slowly increase the voltage to see if it'll turn on? I'm not sure how much voltage is needed (not labeled anywhere) if I exceed the voltage would it cause any damage?

Also when turned on this valve? Clicks. I'm guessing created the suction from the pump. At the pump connector I measure 0v
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by caphair View Post
            Should I use a dc source and slowly increase the voltage to see if it'll turn on? I'm not sure how much voltage is needed (not labeled anywhere) if I exceed the voltage would it cause any damage?
            Well, that is the question: does the pump use DC or not? And voltage requirement.

To answer those, have a look on the PCB to see if it reveals any clues. If the black wire (negative terminal?) going to the pump is connected to ground, and the red wire to a single MOSFET or (or other switching device), then the pump is most likely DC-driven... though it could also be pulsed DC, not knowing exactly what is inside.

We also know the absolute maximum voltage is imposed by that of the battery and AC adapter - i.e. 12V and no more.

Also when turned on this valve? Clicks. I'm guessing created the suction from the pump. At the pump connector I measure 0v
            Perhaps get the instruction manual and see how it's supposed to operate. Maybe if not attached properly to the body, the pump won't run??

Comment

Ok I took the cover off the pump to reveal that it works off 12vdc. Applied 12vdc and it functions fine. So definitely a circuitry issue.

Noticed two test points. One measures 5v the other TP2 shown in the pic on the pump side of the circuit measures 11v. But at the pump connections I get 0v.

On Q7 I measure battery voltage 11-11.34v (jumps to 11.34 then back to 11v as the little metal box cycles on/off) on gate and all 3 source pins. So this should be turning the mosfet on correct? Vg-Vs 11v-11v = 0v (could be wrong I often struggle remembering how mosfets work)
              Nothing measured on the drain pins.

I think Q7 is shorted Gate to Source I measure .978v in diode mode both ways

Quick search shows this is a 30v P-Channel Mosfet in SOP 8-package

Can’t seem to find a replacement. Could someone help me with that? Thanks
              Attached Files
              Last edited by caphair; 09-12-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Can’t seem to find a replacement. Could someone help me with that?

Comment

http://gs-power.com/products.aspx?CID=P_00001349

See if you can get some from the manufacture

The only problem you might have is if this part is preparatory then you will not be able to get any but I would ask if there is a direct replacement part number for this part it does not hurt to ask ( there might not be one )

*** Disclaimer I will not be held responsible for anything that might happen to you if you do not know what your company policy is about doing something like this or something similar ***

I have used this in the past but I know what our company policy is about using your company email account

****Here is a trick that might get you some where if you have a company email address use it if you can with out getting in trouble with the company that you work for ****

Do this like you are repairing some machine I would not tell them that you are trying to repair the device you have

Or you could try saying that you are trying to pro typing something that this part has the specifications that you are looking for
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-13-2020, 09:12 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                    http://gs-power.com/products.aspx?CID=P_00001349

See if you can get some from the manufacture

The only problem you might have is if this part is preparatory then you will not be able to get any but I would ask if there is a direct replacement part number for this part it does not hurt to ask ( there might not be one )

*** Disclaimer I will not be held responsible for anything that might happen to you if you do not know what your company policy is about doing something like this or something similar ***

I have used this in the past but I know what our company policy is about using your company email account

****Here is a trick that might get you some where if you have a company email address use it if you can with out getting in trouble with the company that you work for ****

Do this like you are repairing some machine I would not tell them that you are trying to repair the device you have

Or you could try saying that you are trying to pro typing something that this part has the specifications that you are looking for
                    Interesting so there aren't any similar equivalents out there with same voltage Etc characteristics?

Comment

On Q7 I measure battery voltage 11-11.34v (jumps to 11.34 then back to 11v as the little metal box cycles on/off) on gate and all 3 source pins. So this should be turning the mosfet on correct? Vg-Vs 11v-11v = 0v (could be wrong I often struggle remembering how mosfets work)
                      No, to turn a P-ch MOSFET On, you ground the Gate if Source is connected to the positive output of the PSU.

With Gate Voltage = Source Voltage, P-ch MOSFET will be off.

I think Q7 is shorted Gate to Source I measure .978v in diode mode both ways
                      Remove out of the board and test. If bad, then worry about the replacement.

I can't recommend any SOIC-8 P-ch MOSFETs off top of my head, but since this is used for relatively low-current switching applications, you don't really need to match the specs exactly. I suspect anything rated for 25V or more and 5 Amps or more continuous will do. Given the power adapter is rated for 12V and 2 Amps, even Rds_on is not important, because 20 mOhms at 2 Amps will generate negligible power dissipation in the MOSFET. And if bad comes to worse, you could also fit a TO-252 MOSFET in place of that SOIC-8. I've done it before a few times now. Doesn't look as pretty, but is secure and works just fine.
                      Last edited by momaka; 09-13-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

tell the owner to get oldskool and use her boyfriend/husband's hand

Comment

So with Q7 out of the board it seems to test ok.

I still get the .978 reading both ways where gate and source pins would be on the board.

Not sure where to go from here
                          Last edited by caphair; 09-13-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Try measuring the resistance between Source and Gate, then report back what you get. Make sure battery and power source are both removed when doing these measurements, so they don't impact the reading. If you get low resistance (I'd say under 200 Ohms), there may be something shorted somewhere, and you'll probably have to track back from the Gate pad for the MOSFET to the controller that turns it On.

That aside, have you tried running the device on batteries? Reason I ask is because I just noticed there are several buck-type regulators from the main 12V power adapter for some of the lower voltage rails inside. I also noticed that some of the SMD electrolytic caps are Samyoung (I think, based on their logo), so those may be worth checking at some point too... or you can just solder a few regular low-ESR leaded eletrolytics with them in parallel to make sure the switching buck regulators are not having problems (which could be a potential problem why the controller is not making the MOSFET turn on.)
                            Last edited by momaka; 09-13-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              Try measuring the resistance between Source and Gate, then report back what you get. Make sure battery and power source are both removed when doing these measurements, so they don't impact the reading. If you get low resistance (I'd say under 200 Ohms), there may be something shorted somewhere, and you'll probably have to track back from the Gate pad for the MOSFET to the controller that turns it On.

That aside, have you tried running the device on batteries? Reason I ask is because I just noticed there are several buck-type regulators from the main 12V power adapter for some of the lower voltage rails inside. I also noticed that some of the SMD electrolytic caps are Samyoung (I think, based on their logo), so those may be worth checking at some point too... or you can just solder a few regular low-ESR leaded eletrolytics with them in parallel to make sure the switching buck regulators are not having problems (which could be a potential problem why the controller is not making the MOSFET turn on.)
                              Resistance between S and G is 4.78k

I've tried running it with the 12v the battery that it comes equipped with and same results

If I try soldering low-ESR caps in parallel do I need the same values?

I'm curious is Q9 Q11 and Q12 are ok as they seem to be connected to Q7 but can't find any datasheets on them. They're marked NF1E (Q9 Q12) and PF2G (Q11)

Comment

Resistance between S and G is 4.78k
                                That means driver chip is likely not shorted.

If I try soldering low-ESR caps in parallel do I need the same values?
                                No, just similar capacitance values or somewhere in the ballpark (up to +/-50% will probably be OK.) Since device is operated at 12V, you don't really need anything higher than 16V-rated caps... but if you don't have 16V-rated caps, you can of course use higher-rated voltage caps.

I'm curious is Q9 Q11 and Q12 are ok as they seem to be connected to Q7 but can't find any datasheets on them. They're marked NF1E (Q9 Q12) and PF2G (Q11)
                                How exactly are they connected to Q7. Try tracing their pins and see which go to ground, which to 12V, and which to (if any) other voltage rails. We still don't know if the issue is power or logic -related. So that's why we need to establish that everything is getting power (and clean power too), then we can try to troubleshoot the issue if it turns out to be logic-related.

With that said, check the voltage output between ground and the pins of the two "100" inductors (you may have to try measuring to each side of the inductor, because if it's for a buck regulator, that may throw off the readings on your multimeter a bit.) Also check the voltage input and output on the TO-223 regulator (looks like it's a 1117 of some sort.)

Comment

L1 = .794v
                                  L2 = 11.84v

U4 = 11.4v input 5v output

Tests made with the battery not power adapter.

It’ll take me some time to trace how Q9-Q11 connect.

As a test, could I ground the gate of Q7 to see if the motor will turn on? Or would that potentially cause an issue somewhere else

Comment

Couldn't trace all pins of Q9-Q12 but attached a pic showing what I found. Guess I was wrong as none seem to connect directly to Q7. Sometimes my meter in continuity mode beeps suggesting connection to Q7 other times it doesn't. Not sure why that is
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                      tell the owner to get oldskool and use her boyfriend/husband's hand
                                      next time i'll tell wifey that there is no suction. lets see what happens!

Comment

L1 = .794v
                                        L2 = 11.84v

U4 = 11.4v input 5v output

Tests made with the battery not power adapter.
                                        Those look OK, I suppose, particularly U4.

Try the device with the power adapter instead of the battery. Perhaps L1 then might have a different voltage.

As a test, could I ground the gate of Q7 to see if the motor will turn on? Or would that potentially cause an issue somewhere else
                                        It may cause a problem, depending on how the MOSFET is driven. If the Q7 is driven directly by the MCU (which I doubt it would - it's a poor practice, though I have seen it), then you'll be forcing the MCU output pin responsible for driving Q7 into a state that it shouldn't be in, and that can cause it to burn out. On the other hand, if there is a single-ended buffer driver with resistor and transistor to drive Q7, then shorting Gate to ground may be OK.

Given the measurements you did here:
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...6&d=1600025667
                                        See if the top (single) pin of Q9 connects to Q7 Gate. Also check what R21 and R30 connect to, as these appear to be related to the Gate circuit of Q7. One of them might be a pull-up resistor (possibly R21?) Check and report back.

Sometimes my meter in continuity mode beeps suggesting connection to Q7 other times it doesn't. Not sure why that is
                                        Typically that is caused by capacitors in the circuit charging up from the multimeter. With a discharged capacitor of sufficiently large capacitance, the multimeter will momentarily show low resistance (and often beep in continuity mode) when the probes connect to the capacitor leads. As the cap charges to the test voltage of the multimeter, the resistance will keep increasing until it goes high / out of range (hint: as a bench experiment, try measuring the resistance across electrolytic caps of different capacities with your multimeter to see how the resistance changes.)

Again, I suspect Q7 is driven by Q9, but I could be wrong.

Not sure where Q11 and Q12 tie with this... though one possibility is that Q11 (NPN BJT, and looks line "NF" references to KRC106S) driven by the MCU... which then drives Q11, which is possibly a PNP or P-ch MOSFET, which then drives something else... through R36 and R38??

Comment

Working...
                                        X