Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry for dumb question. Capacitor size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for dumb question. Capacitor size.

I have new 680uf 6.3v capacitors. The problem is they are larger in physical size than what I had ordered. Can they still be used if I can fit them in? If i need to leave them raised slightly will it cause problems? Thanks!

Re: Sorry for dumb question. Capacitor size.

if the caps are used in a buck regulator like for the cpu vrm, raising it slightly will increase the esr which may not be good. raising it can also cause interference issues with the cpu heatsink if the increased height violates the processor keep out zone.

Comment

Originally posted by DixiePenguin View Post
      I have new 680uf 6.3v capacitors. The problem is they are larger in physical size than what I had ordered. Can they still be used if I can fit them in?
      Usually yes.

If i need to leave them raised slightly will it cause problems?
      Raised how far?
      A few mm (5-6 mm max) off the board is generally not an issue. If you need to raise them more, it will depend on the circuit. As Chaos noted above, if the caps are used around a high-frequency voltage regulator circuit (such as caps around the CPU on a motherboard), then it's best to keep the caps as close to the PCB as possible. Other areas on the motherboard usually aren't as sensitive. And on an ATX PSUs, up to 10 mm off the PCB will still be OK (though, again, if the caps are closer to the PCB, they will be more effective and there will also be less electrical noise due to shorter leads.)

Now if the caps are used in a low-frequency circuit or as general filters for a linear voltage regulator, you can raise them pretty far off the PCB and they will still work fine.
      Last edited by momaka; 08-29-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. They would not be very elevated, probably less than 3mm. On a follow-up note. I have a Sniper A88X board with two bad polymers 560uf 6.3v. Would it be safe to use the 680uf 6.3v caps to replace them? I ask because anything I order ships from the States at very high standard charge. A lot of 10 caps cost under 300 php (Philippine piso) ship at a cost of 800 php. (That is $6 dollars worth of caps cost $17 dollars in shipping)

Have a good one,
        Bill

Comment

I have a Sniper A88X board with two bad polymers 560uf 6.3v. Would it be safe to use the 680uf 6.3v caps to replace them?
          If the 680 uF 6.3V caps are polymers as well, then Yes.
          If the 680 uF caps are regular electrolytics, then MAYBE / it depends: if the 560 uF caps are near the CPU, RAM, or an inductor/coil, then they may be used as filter for switching VRM - in which case, the 680 uF electrolytic caps may not work if they have inferior ESR.
          Otherwise, in terms of capacitance, 560 uF is only slightly less than 20% of 680 uF, so the circuit will be perfectly fine with the slight increase in capacitance (if not even benefit from it.)

Comment

Many thanks or maraming salamat as we say here. I am sorry, I meant to say all caps in question are polymers. I will go ahead and replace them and post the results I really hope they are cause of the weird memory problems on the board. It is the Sniper A88X I have posted about. Again my appreciation for the help and patience.

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X