Elna silmic II genuine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elna silmic II genuine..

Hi Guys..! this is my first post on Badcaps..! I'm tweaking my Alpine cda 9855 in the last days, because its sound is not warm as cda 9813 sound! (unit that I've owned but stoled from me! ) now I replaced all the solid alluminium coupling caps with Elna silmic II purchased on ebay from "4123edith" seller..But I ask to myself if the caps are genuine or fake..I read a lot about this problems! I have posted 2 foto of one capacitor to ask for an opinion about it..I remember that the sleeve is usually brow/gold or white..but all of my caps are black/gold?? in addition to copling caps I' m waiting to replace some of PS caps on the principal lines, but I must choose what kind of caps to use about! I think up on Panasonic Fm for good techinical features, and smally size (the space into the unit is very low, for example the space for a 3300uf 16v out of original size that is diam. 10mm is not enough, max 12,5) but I read sometimes that on audio equip.they sound cold! is it true? Can I recapping with no problems? (remembere that i want a warmy sound..) what alternative to choose? thanks a lot!

Nuno
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nuno; 11-29-2010, 01:33 PM.

Re: Elna silmic II genuine..

There is no one that help me about..??

Comment

First off I don't believe in the audiophool nonsense that electrolytic caps make the an amp sound better. So you can get no help there from me.

I wasn't even aware that Elna still made caps. I usually run into them on ancient audio equipment.

People here are more familiar with mainstream cap manufacturers like Panasonic, Chemicon, Sanyo, Samxon, Nichicon, etc. If it was a question of which of those caps are genuine we could help.

Just do some research go to the manufacturers site pull up some images from the site or datasheets and compare the images look for differences in the outer sleeve color, font and font size, bung design, and top of can scoring.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

hard to tell if those are fakes with those pics and no real ones on hand to look at.
        as far as audiophools go i did a marantz 2275 in black gates on one side and panasonic fc on the other.none of the so called "golden ears" could spot the difference.ebay is full of fakes.last place that i would try to buy anything.they do nothing even when blatent fakes are pointed out to them.

Comment

Thanks so! I usually read that elna audio caps is usually used on audio grade equipments of hi plot..I usually read of Cerafine series Silmic Series, Starget series..and so on! however, if you want, I can post better pics of this caps! seller seems to be like honest, with quality products..but ebay world is very wild! Yes, I need a help to choose the capacitors can feel good on PSU of this Alpine..(that,is a Sinto CD plr)..my eyes rolling down on Panasonic FM ( I have read a lot of good opinions about)..but if if you know exist a better alternative..or simply caps with a warmy sound..I can try it..the only one issue..is the size of 2 or 3 caps that must be around 12,5mm max, like the cap of 3300uf 16v, which in origina size is 10mm D x 37mm L Thanks!

Nuno

Comment

Panasonic FC or FM should be fine depending on the grade of original cap.
            Don't want to stray too far from original because the caps work with inductors and if you aren't changing values on both you can leave noise in the circuit due to less effective filter.
            FM have lower ESR and handle more Ripple.

ELNA is alive and well.
            Just a small company so don't see them much.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Another factor affecting the sound quality is the digital-to-analog converter (DAC), not just the electrolytics.
              A Yamaha Natural Sound DVD player (which does not play Super Audio CDs) had an audio DAC which was designed for Super Audio CD players.
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Yeah, all this capacitor-in-signal-path stuff is nonsense and has been debunked several times already, just read a proper audio amplifier book, like the "Audio Amplifier Design Handbook" by Douglas Self. He never uses anything more than NE5532 opamps and bog standard electrolytic caps in his designs - guess why?

Single supply amps have been using BIG coupling capacitors at the speaker output (since there's no other way) forever, and i've never seen anyone complaining about the sound of those.

I think that you'd better invest in a decent calibrated mike and a copy of TrueRTA software. Bring laptop and mic in the car, measure response at listening position, tweak the EQ, and there will be a world of difference i guarantee. If you don't have one, get an EQ/DSP with at least 10 bands, 20 would be best. Instead of spending $$$ on that audiophool garbage, at least you can buy the proper tool for the job. I prefer analog EQ, but for in-car listening there isn't really much choice, i remember Rockford makes some really nice DSPs.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Does wonders for the house system too. Proper equalization at listening position can turn a pair of average speakers in an average room into a studio-grade sound system. Die-hard audiophools have something against tone controls, but unless they invest heavily in setting up the room itself, the most expensive speakers without EQ can't even come close to a pair of average speakers with EQ applied.
                Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 12-06-2010, 06:35 AM.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Hi, are those ELNA silmic fake or genuine?

from this link
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2208164504...84.m1439.l2648

Regards
                  Attached Files

Comment

any parts not from a authorised distributor are suspect.100x suspect if the seller is on ebay.
                    really good pics and a genuine sample are needed to spot fakes.

Comment

The sound isn't warm? Give me a break. Check for proper voltages in the circuit, confirm that your output offset voltage is near zero. If you have a scope, input a sine wave and look at the output of the amp. If you see a nice sine wave, then your unit is fixed.
                      Is it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        any parts not from a authorised distributor are suspect.100x suspect if the seller is on ebay.
                        really good pics and a genuine sample are needed to spot fakes.
                        Yes, I guess you are right.
                        So anything you buy from ebay is a suspect?

How do I know which ones are authorised dealers. I presume that information is on the Elna website?

Anyway, I am attaching the extra resolution photos.

Any feedback is welcome.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I've just purchased some genuine ELNA Silmic II capacitors, these caps are so beautiful. I think the real cap covered with matte brown PVC sleeves with white texts, the aluminum cases are not very shine but the punched lines on the top are so sharp. I live in Vietnam (very very near China, you know), i've ever seen a lot of FAKE caps, some of them are more beautiful than real cap, but i believe i can recognize them very well. I'll update the photos soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X