Crt might be overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crt might be overheating

I have a Monitor problem that some here know about. I was reading and found that my Crt might be overheating because it is to close to the tower and dest shelf.
    So I have the back off on my CRT and it is working fine. I think the are flow is better.
    Any mod or idea so I can use my back cast on my CRT without it overheating my Flyback.

Thanks for everyones help

Re: Crt might be overheating

I think the least of your concerns is your CRT overheating. The flyback will be fine.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Share with me then. It seems to be the only problem I have found.

Comment

What is occurring on the CRT leading you to believe something is wrong?
        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

@Krankshaft - as Tom66 says above there are problems! Unfortunately there are 3/4
          threads all for the same monitor so you would need to read them all.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yeah, way too little info presented. If you want some mod to combat heat, on the PCB there are some ICs which probably use somewhere in the range of 5VDC. Trace the power supply pin for that to determine if it's robust enough for a couple hundred mA more power and if so, tap into that and wire a fan to it, using a saw to cut a hole in the monitor cabinet to mount it for better ventilation.

If locating and determining a power rail suitable is beyond your willingness, remotely power the fan with a separate PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
              What is occurring on the CRT leading you to believe something is wrong?
              Well my monitor runs great out of the plastic back. But when I put the monitor together it would get hot and then turn off. I looked at the board and I can see some burns or heat discoloring, IDK. I think that the monitor should have a better vented case.

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                @Krankshaft - as Tom66 says above there are problems! Unfortunately there are 3/4
                threads all for the same monitor so you would need to read them all.
                Yes thanks for the help, I when and did everything everyone posted, but it seems that my board was getting hot near the flyback and I had bad solder joints.
                This thread I wanted to start because I would like to stop my monitor from over heating. I think it runs better out of the plastic weird enough so I plan on research monitor cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by 999999999 View Post
                  Yeah, way too little info presented. If you want some mod to combat heat, on the PCB there are some ICs which probably use somewhere in the range of 5VDC. Trace the power supply pin for that to determine if it's robust enough for a couple hundred mA more power and if so, tap into that and wire a fan to it, using a saw to cut a hole in the monitor cabinet to mount it for better ventilation.

If locating and determining a power rail suitable is beyond your willingness, remotely power the fan with a separate PSU.
                  That sounds cool have you ever seen a monitor with it own cooling system or would the power it takes to run the system make more heat then it is cooling down.
                  I had bad solder joint but the only time my screen would cut out is if I have the back plastic on. When I took the back plastic off everything would run fine.
                  I still get like a green yellow haze over the screen I am not sure why other then bad joint. Could it be damage from the discolored board?

Comment

A bad solder joint will tend to get worse over time. I recommend resoldering anything suspect, and maybe you don't need a fan at all, only to drill a few vent holes on the top and near the bottom of the casing.

The power used for a fan would be negligible, you should expect at least a 10C to 20C drop in temperature if not more, depending on fan size and RPM.

However, I have to wonder how old this monitor is and how much time it's worth... decent CRT monitors haven't been sold for consumer applications in many years, it might be ready to die of old age soon so the time modding it is wasted, plus LCD monitors (esp LED backlit) use so much less power that they may come near paying for themselves over a few years of use.
                    Last edited by 999999999; 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 999999999 View Post
                      A bad solder joint will tend to get worse over time. I recommend resoldering anything suspect, and maybe you don't need a fan at all, only to drill a few vent holes on the top and near the bottom of the casing.

The power used for a fan would be negligible, you should expect at least a 10C to 20C drop in temperature if not more, depending on fan size and RPM.

However, I have to wonder how old this monitor is and how much time it's worth... decent CRT monitors haven't been sold for consumer applications in many years, it might be ready to die of old age soon so the time modding it is wasted, plus LCD monitors (esp LED backlit) use so much less power that they may come near paying for themselves over a few years of use.
                      I re-soldered every joint that did not have a shine. The bottom of my board looks mint. I am going to hold off on the fan and holes for now, I hope it runs normal from now on.

My monitor is getting old I use it on my back room system. I have a big screen Sony lcd also. I want to wait for 3D monitors to come down and work the bugs out. My CRT has clear picture most of the time I can't see putting up my money yet when I need to pay off loans.

Comment

"I still get like a green yellow haze over the screen"

If the crt is a phew years old that cast is because it is low emission two things you can do apart from new crt is have someone boost the crt with dynoscan or short out the heater coil on the tube base it will last a little bit longer but really needs replacing.

Comment

Working...
                        X