• Show
Clear All

Ssd

ZOMG IS SO FAST!!
    Boots up: 15 seconds
    Firefox: instant
    Avast! antivirus installation: 8 seconds

Re: Ssd

The other advantage of an SSD is that they are not prone to mechanical failures, as there are no moving parts, so IMO, they are more reliable than a HDD (especially considering how unreliable all HDD manufacturers are nowadays)
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Which one did you get, what are you using it in, etc...?
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

It's a Lenovo IdeaPad V570.
        Core i5-2410M, 6GB RAM, Kingston SSDnow V100 64GB
        Attached Files
        Last edited by shovenose; 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Told ya so.
          36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            The other advantage of an SSD is that they are not prone to mechanical failures, as there are no moving parts, so IMO, they are more reliable than a HDD (especially considering how unreliable all HDD manufacturers are nowadays)
            partially true. They will eventually slow down and die. Depends on how often its used and how much its used

edit: my box takes 10 seconds to boot too, but I have 2 WD Velociraptors in raid 1
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

A whole 64gb oh goodie. Is it the year 2002 again ?

Not interested until SSD gets in the price range and storage range of the current mechanical hard drives 1-2 tb.

Price wise they don't seem practical for general purpose storage unless you have real deep pockets for the larger ones.

Both those seek times are very appealing .
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 03-12-2012, 04:12 PM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

That's why I got the 120GB one for $130...

Not that long ago, I thought pretty much the same thing. That being, too much money, not enough space. That was until I figured out how they're supposed to be used.

The idea is to load your programs and operating system on the SSD, then get a large slow mechanical hard drive for storage. It's not meant to replace a mechanical hard drive, it's meant to augment a mechanical hard drive. The specific purpose is to speed up your operating system and programs.

You're not buying space, you're buying speed.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech View Post
                  That's why I got the 120GB one for $130...

Not that long ago, I thought pretty much the same thing. That being, too much money, not enough space. That was until I figured out how they're supposed to be used.

The idea is to load your programs and operating system on the SSD, then get a large slow mechanical hard drive for storage. It's not meant to replace a mechanical hard drive, it's meant to augment a mechanical hard drive. The specific purpose is to speed up your operating system and programs.

You're not buying space, you're buying speed.
                  Yeah, but... my Steam folder alone is over 120gb
                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226237

It's less than $1 / gigabyte...

Comment

^and I bet it uses a lot of power and is slow (for an SSD too... you get what you pay for sometimes.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                        Yeah, but... my Steam folder alone is over 120gb
                        Why would you install games on C: ? C: is traditionally for operating system, not movies and games.

Went through this with another guy on Jonnyguru's forums...

You don't have to keep Steam on C:, it works just fine from any other partition. Mine is on K:

Just copy folder, edit 2-5 registry keys (change paths to point to new folder), reboot.

Comment

I'll take the slightly lower speeds but the reliability bonuses + RAID abilities with my old spinners... Not quite ready to jump on the SSD bandwagon yet. A few more years of seasoning, they will be ready.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                          http://folding.stanford.edu/
                          Team : 49813
                          Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            ^and I bet it uses a lot of power and is slow (for an SSD too... you get what you pay for sometimes.
                            Well I don't know about that. I stated what the speeds were with my 120GB version of that drive in my SSD thread. I'd hardly call that slow. Are there faster ones? Yes. But that last few percentage points just don't make sense when you figure in the cost difference.

Edit: From what I read, with SSD's, usually the larger drives are faster than the smaller ones, in the same brand / product line anyway.

Edit2: Jump on in TC! The water's fine!
                            Last edited by acstech; 03-13-2012, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              It uses the Sandforce 2xxx controller which is the fastest thing on the market currently.
                              Or put differently; It simply has a good price

TOPCAT; SSD's can be raided too, works great...
                              We actually have 2x Micron P300 100GB SLC SSD's in a RAID-1 on our new server for Techspot
                              Last edited by Per Hansson; 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM.
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Now... 48x SSDs in RAID 0 would be epic paired with dual 8-core Intel Xeons, 32GB of RAM, and an additional 48x WD Raptors in RAID 0 (for storage, the SSDs would be for OS/games)...

Anybody got a few million bucks to waste to try that?

Comment

Shovenose, it would be about this good
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah, I was about to post that youtube video.

Even more awesome was that they were only to get over 2GB per second with 10 or 16 ssd drives out of 24.

The hardware raid intel controller on the 24 port areca card was just not powerful enough to route the data to all 24 sata ports and keep the transfer speed high.

Those SSD drives had something like 150 MB/s max read speed - nowadays you get to 260-450 MB/s with each one.

Comment

Wow... 64Gb is actually still quite useful... I still haven't filled my 500Gb drive ΒΌ of the way yet!

edit: I still have over 400Gb free space
                                      Last edited by ncovert; 03-13-2012, 12:15 PM. Reason: more info on hdd

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                        Why would you install games on C: ? C: is traditionally for operating system, not movies and games.

Went through this with another guy on Jonnyguru's forums...

You don't have to keep Steam on C:, it works just fine from any other partition. Mine is on K:

Just copy folder, edit 2-5 registry keys (change paths to point to new folder), reboot.
                                        You install games on C: if C: is your fastest drive, and you want to wait the least amount of time at the loading screens. Any game with an open world will be loading off the drive constantly as you move (even with 8gb of RAM). A slow drive leads to stuttering during gameplay.
                                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Working...
                                        X