Noisy fan in LCD TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy fan in LCD TV

A Samsung TV I have to fix has a noisy fan.

I'm not sure what type of fan it is, but the noise sounds like it is grinding something.

It is like a normal computer fan with the top cut off so I could probably replace it with a CPU fan if I cut the top off.

Can I use a lubricant or is there another way to clean it?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tom66; 04-09-2012, 03:49 AM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Noisy fan in LCD TV

Have you tried contacting anyone off fleabay thats breaking that model of tv to see if they will send you the fan?

It does look like a normal fan with the bottom cut off it.
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Yes you can use a lubricant, but i'd just replace it. Sounds like the bearings have seized.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Okay, so I was able to easily modify a spare CPU fan (PIII type, not fast or big), just broke off the housing. I broke a blade on the existing fan so I'm not going to try and repair it. I need to get some longer screws for it though because mine doesn't have sunken holes for the screws. But it looks like a standard fan can be dropped in, after the housing is modded.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

You can create an inset for the screws in the mounting holes with a drill.

Comment

It may have just been a low quality fan but odds are it wore the bearing too fast because it side loaded it due to the way it pushes air in a direction counter to the shaft. Even worse if it was a sleeve bearing fan.

What I would do is mount a regular non-modified fan on the outside of the chassis rather than inside. Put a fan grill on it if needed.

Comment

Wow, that's a really shoddy design! Bad job Samsung...
              Maybe put something like this?

Comment

It looks like some home mod fan, not original from factory.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Shovenose's fan options looks good.

Or you could fit ones of these....

If your going to do a job you might aswell do it properly
                  Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                  Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

^ Maybe, but consider that squirrel cage blowers tend to be rather loud for the airflow produced, especially when trying to fit same frame dimensions to reuse the existing mounting holes, which might be less desirable on a TV compared to other consumer electronics.
                    Last edited by 999999999; 04-09-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

If the original fan is dual-ball bearing, you can lubricate it and it should last pretty long. Since you said you're hearing grinding, though, chances are it's a single-ball bearing (i.e. a ball bearing on the front and sleeve bearing on the rear) or a full sleeve bearing fan. The former will also last fairly long (1-3 years) if you clean the sleeve very well and let the bearing soak some oil. A sleeve bearing fan on the other hand, won't last as long. Probably 1 year, maybe 2 max if you do a very thorough cleaning of the sleeve. But since this looks like a standard fan with a modified case, you can just grab any reliable (i.e dual-ball bearing) PC fan and mod the case on it if you want to set your mind at peace.

Comment

Have you looked up the LCD model on Encompass to see how much a replacement OE fan would be?

If it's not available or prohibitively expensive it looks like nothing a PC fan and some modifying with a Dremel can't fix.

I've never had luck attempting to relube sleeve bearing fans. The result was usually short lived and eventually the fan went back to either making noise or went one better and seized up completely.
                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM.
                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          If the original fan is dual-ball bearing, you can lubricate it and it should last pretty long. Since you said you're hearing grinding, though, chances are it's a single-ball bearing (i.e. a ball bearing on the front and sleeve bearing on the rear) or a full sleeve bearing fan. The former will also last fairly long (1-3 years) if you clean the sleeve very well and let the bearing soak some oil. A sleeve bearing fan on the other hand, won't last as long. Probably 1 year, maybe 2 max if you do a very thorough cleaning of the sleeve. But since this looks like a standard fan with a modified case, you can just grab any reliable (i.e dual-ball bearing) PC fan and mod the case on it if you want to set your mind at peace.
                          I don't mean to offend but this is wrong.

If the fan is ball bearing then relube has very little chance of improving the situation. Relube is usually only of benefit on sleeve bearing fans. When a ball bearing fan starts to make noise it has already flattened the bearing surface and nothing will provide a permanent, quiet, fix.

I stand behind my original assessment, that the design was bad in the first place and the best low noise solution is to mount a fan external to the chassis. Otherwise, you will repair, but you won't IMPROVE to reduce the chance of another failure. Some people feel the latter is ok, but I don't... now we are drifting outside of fixing and into optimizing.

Comment

Working...
                          X