Samsung UN60D6000SF P/S BN44-00425A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN60D6000SF P/S BN44-00425A

Hi, I am working a Samsung UN60D6000SF that will not power on. Status light blinks two times with 5 successive iterations, pauses, and then repeats. Power Supply relay can be heard audibly clicking.

LED backlights all tested with LED meter, all read 144V and illuminate when testing.

Removing power cable between Main and Power Supply the backlights do not illuminate.

With Main and LED disconnected PFC voltage jumps to about 390V and then drops to 240V, measured at CP804

With Main and LED disconnected A5V is 5.3 V, B5V is zero, 13V is zero, and PS-On is 3.3V. Input to TS801S is 238V.

With Main connected:

PFC output at CP804 is 390V, varies a bit as relay is cycling but stays between 370V and 400V.

Power on command is cycling from high to low.

No B5V, 13V, or backlight voltage.

This is another link on the UN60D6000, but it was a backlight issue:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ng+bn44-00425a

So I am leaning toward and issue with IC801S but wanted to check in for other suggestions. Shop Jimmy sells a kit for the Power Supply, but I am not 100% certain it contains that part as he does not list part numbers, and you can't see numbers in the photos.

https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn...nt-repair-kit/

Also, one other oddity is that even though this Power Supply is marked BN44-0425A it is slightly different than Shop Jimmy photo and photo in referenced link - missing capacitors CM851 and CM859.

Thanks in advance for any help
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RDC55; 12-28-2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: Mislabeled B5V, add ShopJimmy link

Re: Samsung UN60D6000SF P/S BN44-00425A

ICS801S and Transformer TS801S are for the standby A5V power supply which is working since you do report that you do have 5V at A5V.

Post #1 "With Main and LED disconnected A5V is 5.3 V, B5V is zero, 13V is zero, and PS-On is 3.3V." so is the PS-ON 3.3V steady at 3.3v and never go down below 1V, correct?

Post #1 "With Main and LED disconnected PFC voltage jumps to about 390V and then drops to 240V, measured at CP804" So the PFC Voltage stay steady at 240V and never go back up to 390V?

Also when the main board and the LED connectors are not connected, the power relay stay on, correct? and not clicking ON and OFF, correct?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

"Also when the main board and the LED connectors are not connected, the power relay stay on, correct? and not clicking ON and OFF, correct?"

Yes, the relay clicks when the power plug is connected and stays engaged while the voltage at CP804 jumps up to about 370 volts and falls quickly back to 240 volts. The power on command is a steady 3.3 volts at this point, and the A5V is 5.3 volts. All other voltages are zero.

"ICS801S and Transformer TS801S are for the standby A5V power supply which is working since you do report that you do have 5V at A5V."

Well this is why I asked for help. I had ohmed this earlier and found the rectifiers for the 13 volts going back to TS801 so I made a bad assumption. Truth is all of that tranformer stuff TM801S, TM802S, and TS801 all seem to tie together.

Off topic but is there a way to quote just part of previous post?

Comment

Since the PFC Boosted Voltage did not stay on at 390V, we need to find out why. The backlights and B13v circuit needs that 390V to operate but right now the PFC is semi working. I would do good visual inspection of the board, look real close at all solder joints especially around the Transformers legs, inductors legs, the power semiconductor device legs, etc.,
        BTW, if you leave the red probe on B13V pin and black probe cold side circuit ground then apply AC to the power supply board (not connected to the main board, no LED connector in place) while watching the meter, do you see Voltage jumps up at all?
        Last edited by budm; 12-28-2020, 07:59 PM.
        Never stop learning

Comment

"BTW, if you leave the red probe on B13V pin and black probe cold side circuit ground then apply AC to the power supply board (not connected to the main board, no LED connector in place) while watching the meter, do you see Voltage jumps up at all?"

Not a hint of any voltage seen using a DMM

I did an inspection earlier but I will repeat the process just to be sure.

Comment

OK, so I did another inspection and all of the soldering is looking good.

Any idea what part number the PFC control chip is? This one is not readable - 16 pin - see attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

You need to use alcohol to clean the top of the IC so you may be able to read the prints on top of the IC.
              Never stop learning

Comment

Thanks, i tried that earlier and again but just can't get there. I got the attached using a digital microscope, but I couldn't get any hits from those numbers.

15A408M or DCC2806 see attached file

I went ahead and ordered the kit from shopjimmy for this supply, which I think includes this chip. Unfortunately, they don't list part numbers on their order page so hoping what I receive will be properly marked. The kit should arrive Saturday or Monday
                Attached Files

Comment

So a bit more inspection today and I noticed ICM801S had a hole blown in it, at least I believe that is the case - photo attached. The depth of the hole is about 2 mm. I removed the device and it has some quite low reading such as:

1 to 2 = 3.7 ohms
                  1 to 4 = 6.7 ohms
                  1 to 5 = 34 ohms

So am I correct in assuming with this device not operating the built in protect design will shut down the PFC and lower the voltage?

Any thoughts on why it blew, the diodes and caps on the output check out OK?
                  Attached Files

Comment

The pfc ic will be a UCC2806, Yes the ICM801s is blown, I would replace the 3 caps CM802, CM807, CM8112 as well
                    Last edited by R_J; 12-30-2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                      The pfc ic will be a UCC2806, Yes the ICM801s is blown, I would replace the 3 caps CM802, CM807, CM8112 as well
                      Thanks R_J, now that I look at the photo I posted it seems obvious. I don't know how I got an "M" out of that "U." Texas Instruments is even my old company, but I can't quite make out the "Texas State" logo on the chip as would be normal with their IC's.
                      Attached Files

Comment

First off thanks for the help, the Power Supply is up and running after replacing ICM801S (FSFR2100XSL) that was cratered. The 3 caps were also replaced per R_J's suggestion.

Unfortunately, after seeing the video for the first time there is an obvious defect appearing on the screen - a bright spot in the upper right viewing area - see attached. Since this is an edge lit TV my first guess is a panel issue, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has dealt with this type of defect before and if there was any chance this is a light guide or diffuser issue?

Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

Adding a closeup view of the defect noted above. It's pretty obvious the colors are saturating in this area but I would be interested if anyone has some thoughtful speculation as to why?
                          Attached Files

Comment

looks like you got a good scratch on the light guide, sits behind the lcd panel. if you can find a donor that uses the same model
                            UA60D6600VJXXZ
                            UA60D6600VJXZK
                            UA60D6600VMXRD
                            UA60D6600VMXXS
                            UA60D6600VMXXY
                            UA60D6600VNXUM
                            UA60D6600VNXXS
                            UA60D6600VNXXT
                            UA60D6600VRXSJ
                            UA60D6600VRXTW
                            UA60D6600VRXUM
                            UA60D6600VRXXA
                            UA60D6600VRXXT
                            UA60D6600VRXZN
                            UE60D6500VQXZT
                            UE60D6500VSXXC
                            UE60D6500VSXXH
                            UE60D6500VSXXN
                            UE60D6500VSXZF
                            UE60D6500VSXZG
                            UE60D6505VKXXU
                            UE60D6505VSXXE
                            UN60D6000SFXZA
                            UN60D6000SFXZC
                            UN60D6000SFXZX
                            UN60D6400UFXZA
                            UN60D6420UFXZA
                            UN60D6420UFXZC
                            UN60D6450UFXZA
                            UN60D6450UFXZX
                            UN60D6500VFXZA
                            UN60D6500VFXZC
                            UN60D6500VGXPE
                            UN60D6500VGXZD
                            UN60D6500VGXZS
                            UN60D6900VFXZA
                            UN60D6900VFXZC
                            UN60D7000VFXZA
                            UN60D7000VFXZC
                            UN60D7000VFXZP
                            UN60D7000VFXZX
                            UN60D7000VGXPE
                            UN60D7000VGXZD
                            UN60D7000VMXZL
                            UN60D7050VFXZA
                            with a broken screen for cheap, you could use its light guide, and be all set. very easy to scratch those things, so be careful handling

Comment

Originally posted by RDC55 View Post
                              Adding a closeup view of the defect noted above. It's pretty obvious the colors are saturating in this area but I would be interested if anyone has some thoughtful speculation as to why?
                              It is likely that the lens on the led fell off, this will show up like this.
                              Last edited by R_J; 02-26-2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                It is likely that the lens on the led fell off, this will show up like this.
                                not since this is an edge lit model, there are no diffusing lenses

Comment

Originally posted by football0062 View Post
                                  looks like you got a good scratch on the light guide, sits behind the lcd panel. if you can find a donor that uses the same model
                                  UA60D6600VJXXZ

with a broken screen for cheap, you could use its light guide, and be all set. very easy to scratch those things, so be careful handling
                                  Thanks for the reply. I guess that would suggest someone has removed the panel before for LED repair. I don't know the history of the TV as it was a dumpster find, but I did see a big hand print on the metal chassis at the edge suggesting some type of repair action had occurred.

It was manufactured in Feb 2012 so that would be a long time for LED's to last.
                                  Last edited by RDC55; 02-27-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by football0062 View Post
                                    not since this is an edge lit model, there are no diffusing lenses
                                    Yes it does look like it is a edge lit model. I should have looked up the model first.

Comment

Well it took a while but I finally tore this thing down - it weighs a ton so I had been avoiding it.

Anyway, the video defect was nothing more than a smudge on the light guide. After removing the panel and powering the LED's on it was very visible. It was less visible with the diffuser sheets pulled up but still obviously there. I could barely see the smudge when viewing the light guide from an angle with the LED's off.

I simply wiped the spot with some isopropyl alcohol and all was well. And, just to duplicate it I touched the back of my wrist to the light guide and a large bright spot appeared, which is odd that the area gets brighter, but that is what it does. A quick wipe with alcohol and no more spot.

Comment

Initially when there was no turn on did the back lights flash on and than off repeatedly ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X