Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blink EVSE touchscreen intermittent problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blink EVSE touchscreen intermittent problem.

This is a blink Level 2 EVSE and it has an issue with the touch-screen. It was installed outdoors and facing the sun for extended periods. I cleaned the touchscreen assembly including the edges.

There are no display issues, but the touchscreen is very finicky, and barely works intermittently. On power-up the EVSE goes through a touchscreen calibration procedure: touch 5 X's (corners + center), followed by 5 O's in the same screen positions. It doesn't accept touches after the 3rd-7th calibration point. The calibration period has a countdown, and then restarts. One time I touched some parts of the screen unintentionally, and it put me straight into the main menu but then it stopped accepting any more touch input.

I don't know the exact touchscreen technology in use, but I highly doubt it's a multi-touch.

Starting from the contact layer the touchscreen is made up of:

1- a clear plastic layer with 4 contacts on the bottom right, and tracings all around. This layer is glued with double-sided tape on the edges to ...

2- a glass assembly with 4 contact points that connect via a 4-wire flat cable to a main board header labelled "touch screen". The glass assembly seen from its side looks to be two layers of glass sandwiched together. It is clear that the center of the screen has an artifact - a square in proportion to the screen dimensions with rounded corners. This doesn't look good, but it is possible to tap on one calibration point in that area, although, I can't tell if the signals generated represent taps in that area.

3- the display panel

I lifted the top clear plastic (what your fingers touch) and cleaned it. I used alcohol, and goof-off on the edges to remove most of the gummy bits of the double-sided tape that held it to the glass. I didn't put new tape when I put the film back, and perhaps this is why it is not working reliably. If I am not mistaken, it should be glued so that it stands off the glass underneath, correct?

I believe the problem is with the mating of the top film to the glass panel. There are "traces" on both the film and the panel, but I am not clear on how those interact to make the touchscreen work. The traces are gray in color, and matte, or slightly rough in texture. I used my multimeter to check continuity between the four contact points and the ends of the traces coming from them, and got no beeps.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Blink EVSE touchscreen intermittent problem.

It looks similar to this http://www.urt.com.tw/products_show.php?show=215 But might be custom
    It is either resistive or capacitive, I would guess capacitive
    Last edited by R_J; 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Do you get any type of resistance reading from the bonded connector to the touchscreen or to the controller connector or the ribbon cable

The only problem is do you have any information about the touchscreen for how to check it so it could be either one

If you do it might not be the touchpad but might be controller
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
        It looks similar to this http://www.urt.com.tw/products_show.php?show=215 But might be custom
        It is either resistive or capacitive, I would guess capacitive
        I was more inclined to think it is resistive, but I can't find a way to identify the existing one. The user interface running on the display seems to rely on a single-touch at a time, so my guess is it is resistive.

I've googled a lot, and found various suppliers for touchscreen overlays for under $30, which will solve the problem I am having, but I need to know what kind mine is. I found the whole assembly on Aliexpress but the description doesn't state if the touchscreen digitizer is cap. or res.

Some part numbers -- see pics.

LCD display and touchpad assembly:
        UMSH-0521MD-1T
        U.R.T. No. 110324-0077
        U.R.T 7168173000

touchpad:
        bottom of glass: URA-070007MA
        flat cable: URT 524070007001
        Attached Files

Comment

Did you need to put presure on the screen to move the curser or did you just need to have your finger on the glass, can you move the curser using an ordinary non conductive device (pen, wood stick)
          usually the resistive screen is soft and will deform slightly when pressed, capacitive can be a hard glass
          This might help determine the type https://www.embeddedarm.com/blog/rea...touch-screens/
          or here https://forum.digikey.com/t/resistiv...ifference/1063
          Last edited by R_J; 04-13-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I saw those pages but various things threw me off.

If the touchpad surface is covered with a plastic cover (whose traces around the underside edge get powered from 2 of the 4 lines), could it still be capacitive? I didn't see any explicit mention of this, but with capacitive it seems to me that all the lines would be going to the glass layer.

The other two lines connect to the traces all around the upper surface of the glass. That plastic cover provides an ever so slight airgap, so there is a slight "give" when pressed. I had to remove the plastic film to clean under there due to dirt, etc.

When the touchpad works, it responds to a press from a finger or a plastic stylus.

Safe to conclude I need a replacement resistive touch screen?

The existing one is 164mm x 103mm. The image size on the LCD underneath is 153x92mm (7" diagonal)

I am very grateful for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X