How Hot should MCP55 Host Bridge get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Hot should MCP55 Host Bridge get?

I have an MSI 7260 Ver 1.0 motherboard., socket AM2. On Intel-based motherboard the heatsink on the combined North/South Bridge gets plenty hot, but it's large and tall.

The AMD heatsink occupies a similar footprint but is pretty low in height and gets really hot. You could burn yourself on it.

Worth adding a fan?

Also what about MSI BIos update procedure? Anyone used the newer CD-based one? Seems pretty complicated?

What's the best option for Bios Update on this mobo?

Re: How Hot should MCP55 Host Bridge get?

What about the issue with your ECS 754 motherboard, got it fixed yet?

Comment

anything too hot to touch needs a fan.
      IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        IMO.
        that's why ~95% of all CK08 and MCP55 Boards do have a fan...

Comment

I found a SOYO chipset fan in my parts box. Attached it to the passive-cooled heatsink on the MSI 7260 MCP55 bridge with two #4 screws. Seems to have lowered the CPU temps as well if XSENSOR readings are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            IMO.
            +1000

nVidia chipsets made after the nForce 2 (or even nForce 3) should always be kept cool to avoid issues. In general, the nForce 4 chipsets are also a bit tougher than the MCP55 and MCP61 (GeForce 6100/6150), but I recommend having all of these kept cool if you want to avoid issues with chipset failures. This matters even more for nVidia 6xx and 7xx series of chipsets. Same goes for AMD chipsets made after RS482 / Xpress 200, especially the 780 and newer ones (pretty much all AMD chipsets made for socket AM2 and newer).

The only chipsets that can take a crap-ton of temperature abuse are the oldschool Intel ones, like i845/865, i965, and G31/33/45, P/Q45 and etc. (i.e. mostly socket 478 and 775 Intel chipsets).
            Last edited by momaka; 04-08-2018, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X