question about installing a cap rated for a lower temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about installing a cap rated for a lower temp

Hi I have a motherboard which is untested however I can see it has one visibly bad cap. It is 6.3 V, 3300 uF, and the temp is rated at 105 C.

I have a spare cap laying arround that is the exact same physical size, and has mostly the same specs. The only difference is the spare one is only rated at a temp of 85 C, not 105.

I understand that installing this one is not a good long term solution, however if I install it will it work for even a small amount of time? I just want to test the motherboard. If I install it and the motherboard works I will remove it and order the cap that is rated for a higher temp. So can I use this one for now as a test? Or would I risk further damage by installing it?

Re: question about installing a cap rated for a lower temp

yes it should work! in the area that the one cap was blown, the others of same value could be bad as well. would suggest a reacap of all of them if ya keepen board for the long run!

Comment

Re: question about installing a cap rated for a lower temp

On a motherboard, 6.3V 3300uF capacitors are almost definitely a very low ESR capacitor. 85 degree rated capacitors are almost definitely not low ESR. I wouldn't expect it to work for very long, if at all with that replacement.

Comment

Working...
      X