I think this capacitor is bad but can't tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this capacitor is bad but can't tell

So in my Linux Router, I have an FSP power supply. This one specifically: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104045

It hasn't been used that much. It was in a HTPC for about 3 months and in my Linux router running for only 3 weeks straight now. The primary caps are CapXon, and from what I can see, there are some Teapo and CapXon on the secondary side. I looked inside the PSU, from the back grille while it was running and it looks like one of the main caps is bulging a little. Since it is somewhat hard to see, I can't tell if it's bad or just the angle I'm looking at. I'm lazy and I don't want to actually shut it down and take it out and open it since it's still under warranty and it's still powering the computer just fine. So I am wondering, even being CapXon, what are the chances that one has gone bad on the PRIMARY side just after a few months of use??? The only Primary caps I've seen die are Fuhjyyu's

Just in case, all it's powering is a Pentium 4 2.8 no HT, 2 RAM sticks, 1 hard drive, no graphics card, and 2 case fans. In other words, nothing.

Re: I think this capacitor is bad but can't tell

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    So in my Linux Router, I have an FSP power supply. This one specifically: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104045

It hasn't been used that much. It was in a HTPC for about 3 months and in my Linux router running for only 3 weeks straight now. The primary caps are CapXon, and from what I can see, there are some Teapo and CapXon on the secondary side. I looked inside the PSU, from the back grille while it was running and it looks like one of the main caps is bulging a little. Since it is somewhat hard to see, I can't tell if it's bad or just the angle I'm looking at. I'm lazy and I don't want to actually shut it down and take it out and open it since it's still under warranty and it's still powering the computer just fine. So I am wondering, even being CapXon, what are the chances that one has gone bad on the PRIMARY side just after a few months of use??? The only Primary caps I've seen die are Fuhjyyu's

Just in case, all it's powering is a Pentium 4 2.8 no HT, 2 RAM sticks, 1 hard drive, no graphics card, and 2 case fans. In other words, nothing.
    Primaries bloating after a few months is unlikely, even if they are Capxon. Are you seeing the top of the capacitor bloating, or is the top of the capacitor covered with a plastic disc? The plastic discs will bloat from heat and the air trapped under the disc expanding. A bloated plastic disc does not mean the capacitor under it is bad. FSP isn't the best quality, but they're not "gutless wonders" either. FSPs don't usually have "warranty seals," so you can open them up to check the condition or clean them without voiding the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
      Primaries bloating after a few months is unlikely, even if they are Capxon. Are you seeing the top of the capacitor bloating, or is the top of the capacitor covered with a plastic disc? The plastic discs will bloat from heat and the air trapped under the disc expanding. A bloated plastic disc does not mean the capacitor under it is bad. FSP isn't the best quality, but they're not "gutless wonders" either. FSPs don't usually have "warranty seals," so you can open them up to check the condition or clean them without voiding the warranty.
      Thanks for the reply! Yeah the top of the capacitors have plastic discs on them.

Comment

It's called insulation. [hehehehehe]
        They sometimes do that on big caps to reduce the risk of shorting something.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          It's called insulation. [hehehehehe]
          They sometimes do that on big caps to reduce the risk of shorting something.
          Okay cool, that makes me feel better. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X