Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What version of Firefox is everyone running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What version of Firefox is everyone running?

I recently "upgraded" my firefox on my office machine to 8.0.x.... I don't like their 'new look' at all for some reason. I tried living with it/adapting, but I finally had to upgrade back to 3.6.24, which was the last revision of 3.6....and the version that just seems to play nice with me... Just curious if I'm the only one running relic versions....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: What version of Firefox is everyone running?

It depends on which machine I'm using. My netbook and desktop have FF8, Aurora pre-release. Both FF8 and Aurora don't get along with AVG, and Java6 runtime.

My wife's and daughter's laptops both have the FF3.6.24. If I'm installing FF on a customer's computer, it's FF3.6 only.
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

none?

(i know, fail).
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^
        Unless you're running linux, you're otherwise using safari on the Mac or dare I say, Internet Exploiter....

The main thing I hate about FF8 is their absolute mutilation of the status bar at the bottom.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          ^
          Unless you're running linux, you're otherwise using safari on the Mac or dare I say, Internet Exploiter....

The main thing I hate about FF8 is their absolute mutilation of the status bar at the bottom.
          google chrome?
          sigpic

Comment

^
            Ahh forgot about that one.....I just refuse to use the browser made by the company that gets rich off spam.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Old-ass mozilla (not mozilla failurefox) 1.6, the one that started as netscape, behind webwasher.

When I need other things to work, it's SRWare Iron 4. Newer versions are 'messier' and uglier. For any and all Iron installs, make sure you search for and (shift?) delete 'gears.dll.'

Properties- Company Name: Google, Inc; Description: The Gears that Power the Tubes :-).

That's what some script kiddie put there... Remember, it's do no evil.

What I'd like to know is why failurefox and idiot exploder are trying to outdo each other with coming up with ugly interfaces.
              Last edited by kaboom; 11-25-2011, 09:03 PM.
              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
              Originally posted by shango066
              All style and no substance.
              Originally posted by smashstuff30
              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

^
                Ahh forgot about that one.....I just refuse to use the browser made by the company that gets rich off spam.
                try chromium or iron browser... chrome based, but without the google branding

i use straight up chrome for various compatibility and usablility reasons

plus, there is opera too...
                sigpic

Comment

^
                  I havent used Opera in ages.....didn't care for it back in the day....
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Hated all the ones after this version.

^
                    qft!
                    Last edited by Toasty; 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM.
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

7.0.1, When it auto updated to 8 I started have page loading issues, So I downgraded back to 7.

Comment

I'm running 8.0.1, latest version.

Comment

I don't have Firefox installed on my new computer, but the old one used version 3.6.

Yesterday, my mom was told that Internet Exploder was the only good browser because "Moxilla" (that was how it was spelled in the e-mail) Firefox and Chrome secretly open ports so hackers can access the computer more easily.

Comment

Just curious if I'm the only one running relic versions....
                            Nope, not just you. I'm running 3.6.23 (since I didn't know that 3.6.24 existed ). This is the last version that runs well on my computers. I tried FF 4, 6, and 7, but they are all much slower and use more RAM. Funny, because every time a new version comes, Download.com always brags how it starts faster, uses much less RAM, etc. etc... A bunch of bullshit, really. If anything, those newer versions actually use more RAM - and I would know because my daily-use computer has 384 MB of RAM (lol?) so I tend to notice things like that.

I also use IE6, but that's only for certain websites like badcaps.net and CL since I can have over 20 windows open and still have plenty of free RAM left.
                            Last edited by momaka; 11-25-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Firefox 8, until I upgrade again. Was planning on running the development releases, but I didn't. [Firefox 4 was the true broken one.] Long adapted with the lack of status bar, besides, it ate CPU power on older computers... or so Mozilla says. Dun, dun, dun...

Also installed Java Runtime 7 (from 6) on my computer.

Iti: That's about as bad as that one thread in another forum that mentioned that Vista was sent by China. The exact quote:

Vista was set by China who puts hacked codes and hack anyone who have Vista. That why Im very against it.
                              Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                              I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

IE 9 :p
                                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by dood View Post
                                  IE 9 :p
                                  I'm proud to say I don't have an OS new enough to run that abomination!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Ami Sapphire View Post
                                    <snip> Long adapted with the lack of status bar, besides, it ate CPU power on older computers... or so Mozilla says. <snip>
                                    Exactly why I won't install it. It's been there -FOREVER- and now some coke snorting idiot in the board room decides it eats power. Where's that BS flag..... Yeah, sell me another line of s**t you a-holes!

Instead of making it look pretty, why don't you get Java to run correctly for -ONCE- in 15 years????
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

I recently "upgraded" my firefox on my office machine to 8.0.x.... I don't like their 'new look' at all for some reason. I tried living with it/adapting, but I finally had to upgrade back to 3.6.24, which was the last revision of 3.6....and the version that just seems to play nice with me... Just curious if I'm the only one running relic versions....
                                      You can make Firefox 8 look pretty much like 3.6 with less than 5 minutes of tweaking.

First, right click an empty spot on the tab bar, and check the option for Menu Bar, and uncheck the option for Tabs on Top. (Image 1)

Second, right click an empty spot on the tab bar again, and choose Customize this time. Drag the stop, reload, and home buttons from the right side of the toolbar to the appropriate locations. (Image 2)

Third, type about:config in the URL bar. Agree to the warning. Search for the preference browser.urlbar.trimURLs and change it to False.

Finally, download the extension Status-4-Evar from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...status-4-evar/. This adds the status bar back to Firefox.

Now Firefox 8 looks mostly like 3.6. The buttons are styled a bit differently, but all the functional bits are now in the familiar spots. (Image 3)

You can add a preference in about:config called extensions.checkCompatibility.8.0 and set it to False to enable the loading of extensions that aren't tested with Firefox 8. I have a few extensions I use regularly that haven't been updated in a long time. For the most part, they all work fine with the newer Firefox versions.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Firefox 8.0 I had the same reluctance when I first saw the redesigned GUI. I guess they were going for the streamlined look that IE has.

It felt a bit odd add first with all of those big chunks of screen space free. But I adapted to it quickly after I found out where they relocated everything in the menu bar and I like it now.
                                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 11-26-2011, 03:14 AM.
                                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X