X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with Samsung ps43d490 PDP

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    NOW UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!!!!!
    I cannot emphasise this enough. You will be replacing the X-main in short order again if you do not.

Glad to hear it works -- keep an eye on it! Hopefully it was just a caution and the boards are swappable. If so I may end up doing the same myself for future repairs.
    Well I will give Emos and the local authorized Samsung repair center a ring tomorrow to double check and see if the board is OK to use. At the moment I am happy that the problem has been tracked down (thanks to you!) A few more days without a TV wont hurt...

You've not been wrong so far Tom so I'm tempted to get the older revision board just to be safe.

The firmware has just been updated and everything seems OK the screen gets very - very slightly lighter/darker when displaying a menu box or such like but I am certain that's just my mind playing tricks on me (plus I know a little about how a plasma works - its probably the voltage change when certain pixel rows are exited)

I really cannot express how much thanks I have for you right now Tom66 if you would like for me to chuck you some beer tokens just ask!

Comment

The firmware has just been updated and everything seems OK the screen gets very - very slightly lighter/darker when displaying a menu box or such like but I am certain that's just my mind playing tricks on me (plus I know a little about how a plasma works - its probably the voltage change when certain pixel rows are exited)
      This is called line bleed and is common to all plasmas except the Kuro which appeared to have eliminated it (shame they left the business.)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1083853/do...tal-line-bleed

I don't drink beer (just a personal preference) but thanks for the offer! Enjoy your TV.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

^^ Yeah, something to do with that there is only a finite amount of voltage available for the pixel rows.

Anyway, a bit of info for other potential owners of this board. I phoned Emos and they were unsure of the compatibility between a 1.6/1.8 REV X-main as well. Some of them had heard about having to upgrade the logic board if you were going to install a higher REV X-main.

Long story short, they sent out a 1.6 X-main that same day. You just can't fault service like that!!! I just installed the new X-main and the TV works like a champ.

The two boards are definitely different so I am sure Tom66 was correct in his findings.

1.8 Rev X-main = the TV works fine, however start up tests lasts a little longer than normal. The TV will turn off/on a couple of times before finally making its mind up that its safe to turn on and produce the big voltages (i think)

1.6 Rev X-main = the TV turns on almost immediately, almost as if it knows it has the correct part fitted so there is no need to do a start up test.

So the two different parts work, but with my limited understanding there are definietly difference with how the set behaves.

Again, big thanks to Tom66 for putting me on the right track, and aslo a big thanks to Emos for great service!

Comment

Great service there. Glad it's working.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Bad news I'm afraid. I was watching TV when a loud pop came from the TV...

The TV turned off again and is displaying the same symptoms as before with the light flashing twice five times. I think the X-main has gone again.

Is there anything else that can cause repeated failures of the X-main as the firmware is on the latest version, or could I just be unlucky with a worn out x-main?

Comment

Was that with the correct revision X-main?

Comment

Yes that was with the correct version X-main I'm really stumped as to what is causing the problem. I wonder is something else is at fault causing the X-main to go?
                Last edited by mcfly666; 10-25-2013, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Did you install the 1013 firmware or 1006 firmware?
                  Could be that the X-main was just worn out but AFAIK the X-main boards usually last a while - at least 3 to 5 years (though not long on the grand scale of things!)

Comment

Yeah the new firmware was installed as well, it was T-MST4DEUC-1029.0 released on the 9 March 2013.

What a bummer

Comment

I guess put in the 1.8 X-main for a test, I believe Emos has a warranty of at least 30 days on their boards.

Comment

Have you heard of any other components that can take out an X-main. Maybe an out of spec powerboard or even the Y-main?

Comment

A y-main can damage the x-main but typically you will get no picture.
                          High Vs voltage can too, but that would not have changed if you did not change it.

Comment

OK a quick update, sorry for the late reply I'm snowed under with work...

I just literally put the 1.8 X-main in the TV and its fired right back up and seemed to be working perfectly, Which I was surprised with as the noises the TV made when the replacement X-main went were a lot louder than when it went the first time.

I guess it makes sense to test the voltages just in case, I hope you can hold my hand whilst doing it Tom66.

So on the power board there is a POT named 'VA' and next to the POT is an arrow, if I follow that arrow back there is a little silver 'disk' on the board...

I guess that is where the test point for VA is, on the back of the panel is some information regarding voltages. That amongst other things says 207v for the VA.

I guess I take the red end of my multi meter and place that on the test point and then place the black end on the metal chassis when the TV is powered up?

Comment

I assume you mean 207V for Vs and approx 55~60V for Va.

Yes that's correct, your meter if autoranging should be set to volts DC if it has multiple scales set it to the highest V DC scale.

A tolerance of approx ±2V on every voltage is usually used.

Comment

Again, I've just literally had another go at this set. Spoke to Emos and they are sending out a board as they say I could have been unlucky and had an X-main that was driven particularly hard in its life.

^^ You really can't fault this company, they will bend over backwards to help you!

Anyway I have tested the Va and Vs from the powerboard Va is 59 and Vs 212 The Vs seems a little high?

Comment

Is the Vs the same as specified on the panel sticker?

Comment

Hi Tom, VS on the panel is 207v just didn't know if its too far out. I've heard that Samsung sometimes like to drive their panels hard to reduce dithering.

Comment

Update, just turned down the VS to what it said on the panel (207v) TV does show some pink 'dithering' when showing a white screen now.

It's in the top left of the screen and it shows up as tiny pink dots, I've turned up the VS to 209/210 and the picture seems stable.

Should I test the VS off of the Ysus, Cant see a test point for VS on the Xmain.

Comment

Dithering not affected by Vs. The Vs should be set to the panel spec or excessive heat may be produced in the X- and Y-main boards leading to early failure.

Comment

Yeah it's strange, but the pink dots in the corner appeared when the Vs was turned down to 207 and went away when I turned it up to 210. Really strange, but the guy at Emos said that it usually happens with these pdp's and Samsung purposefully overdrive's the panels because of it.

213v which is what the set was originally at was still just in the 2% range so I am hoping that knocking even 3v off the panel will give it back some longevity.

The only other explanation I was given to why the Xmain had failed is that some of these sets suffer from a short in the panel if that's the case the TV is toast, but in my limited understanding a shorted panel will toast the boards as soon as its turned on?

Thanks for keeping with me Tom!

Comment

Working...
                                          X