WhizPro BIOS password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WhizPro BIOS password

I have an OEM board here with the model SL-810 from BCM which again is some weird OEM company who barely supports this.
    I say barely because while a page for the motherboard exists all the links both now and according to the wayback machine which would remotely help me are all broken. Furthermore my board has a password set on the BIOS and it isn't clearing with the CMOS battery removed. It isn't totally locking the machine down however as I can still boot from an optical drive (but not the floppy ) but I've already gone through it with the BIOS tools on the Hirens Boot CD and nothing seemed to work. The weird "WhizPro" BIOS isn't something any of the tools expect. I need something a little bit more powerful but I do not know what else to try. Any suggestions?
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: WhizPro BIOS password

Maybe same layout as their SL620, which is only S370/LPX board listed on BCM support page

Does your SL810 have a JP2/Clear CMOS jumper in the same place as SL620 ?
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

The layout appears to be wildly different unfortunately.
      Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium View Post
        The layout appears to be wildly different unfortunately.
        What about compared to FX815ELT ? - only other Wizpro BIOSed board from their Socket 370 range

Or SL5598 ? - only LPX board from their Socket 7 range

Otherwise, sorry - hope for response from your post on Vogons
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Nope. None of those match up. :/
          Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium View Post
            I have an OEM board here with the model SL-810 from BCM which again is some weird OEM company who barely supports this.
            I say barely because while a page for the motherboard exists all the links both now and according to the wayback machine which would remotely help me are all broken. Furthermore my board has a password set on the BIOS and it isn't clearing with the CMOS battery removed. It isn't totally locking the machine down however as I can still boot from an optical drive (but not the floppy ) but I've already gone through it with the BIOS tools on the Hirens Boot CD and nothing seemed to work. The weird "WhizPro" BIOS isn't something any of the tools expect. I need something a little bit more powerful but I do not know what else to try. Any suggestions?
            if the cmos jumper suggested from boardl cannot work,
            you can try pull the winbond chip bios, and read using bios programmer like : cheap nanobios programmer..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-BIOS-Pr...-/280388472031

post here your backup file, i'll try to clean your bios..

Comment

I have a Willem Ver 5.0 unit that can dump the chip but it is being very inconsistent with this chip so far unless my settings are wrong.
              I can however dump the chip while it is in the machine. I got more than enough tools for that.
              Find Nedry!

Comment

How long did you leave the CMOS battery removed ?

I'd try leaving it out overnight, the Irish technique (to be sure, to be sure)

Comment

It was out for two weeks minimum.
                  Where the board came from initially I regularly see them come with flat CMOS batteries anyways. This could of been missing a backup battery for years.
                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
                    How long did you leave the CMOS battery removed ?

I'd try leaving it out overnight, the Irish technique (to be sure, to be sure)
                    that has worked for me more than once in the past!!!

Comment

I'd focus on getting a reliable read of the BIOS EEPROM. Given the age of that thing and since it's not in CMOS, the password is likely to be stored as plain text in EEPROM.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It's a 49LF004A. It's still quite new.
                        Also, I already dumped it. Poling through a hex editor however has not yet found anything.
                        Find Nedry!

Comment

If you got a good image check if you can disassemble it using tools leaked on the internet. Unless it's a Compaq BIOS it's likely to be some variant of AMI, Award or Phoenix which can be taken to bits.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

hey Pentium.. do you recall ever getting into this board? I have one with a BIOS PW as well and swapping almost all of the jumpers around hasn't cleared the CMOS PW

Comment

Nope.
                              The dumps I did get were inconsistent so I don't trust my Willem with reading the FWH chip correctly. I was able to locate the CMOS clear jumper and while that did indeed clear the CMOS it immediately sets the password again, so that's a BIOS default parameter. I don't think I have ever seen something do that.

Because I couldn't crack the password I moved on from this board.
                              Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                              X